My review of our Quarterbacks as the season begins.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
My main point is that losing a HOF QB doesn't necessarily kill your team. There are several mediocre to be generous QBs with Super Bowl rings. A couple of which stepped in for HOF caliber predecessors and managed not to lose. What they have in common is good coaching, a dominant defense and a strong running game. Which we should have if the offensive line comes together (which I have no doubt Boss Hogg will make happen) and if Toler is the answer at CB.

Anderson did manage to have one good season with the Cleveland Freaking Browns.Which is more than Heisman boy ever accomplished as a pro. Imagine what he can do on the Cardinals.

There haven't really been that many. Since the 1993 SB game here are the QBs who have won a SB: Troy Aikman (3), Brett Farve, John Elway (2), Steve Young, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady(3), Kurt Warner, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger(2), Eli Manning, Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson. So I would say 3 out of 18. Not good odds.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
What impresses me the most about Hall is that his scrambles only when that's the last option. And he does it really well, ala Steve Young style. And very decisive.

There are just so many scrambling QB's that are so good at it, but that's exactly the big problem. Being good at it makes you chose that option sometimes as one of the first. That has always a negative impact on your overall QB skills, especially under pressure and in important situations.

Only very very few QB's have had the skill to take that scramble as last option, despite being good at scrambling.

Steve Young, McNabb, Staubach can be named as some examples

Having that scrambling ability is really a problem early on for your development as pocket QB. Simply because of the above mentioned reason. You can rely on that, and never develop your pocket skills.

What impressed me the most is that in just about every situation Hall has taken that as the last option. Ok, almost every situation, he missed the check down once. But when he choses that last option, he does it en a very decisive way and transforms into a RB. Protects the ball well and runs with style.

That's not something you see with these QB's that have that scrambling option. Most often, it's a second or third option. For Hall, it's number 5 or 6, thus when there are no more targets left at all.

Even more impressive is that he works down the field and back, not the other way arround. Immediately, he screens the field for big yardage plays and works down for the smaller gains. I think that was evident in couple of throws that prove that point very clearly, this can only be seen in certain situations. That is very rare with most rookie QB's. They go for the safe options and if they are gone, work their way towards the more risky.

But the best QB's in the game have exactly that ability - second or two into the play to already know your deep options that will develop seconds later. That is maybe one of the hardest skills at all. I'm not saying he masters this as Brees and Warner and Manning. He doesn't at all, but the important part is that he thinks in this manner. Most, or to be honest, all other rookie QB's, don't even think in this way.

All in all, he plays like a veteran. He has the leadership. Toughness. Intensity.

I have rarely been so impressed by a a rookie QB.

Despite all that, I still think there will be ups and downs in his first year. But I think he will get to start this year and I believe he will end up being a great NFL QB.

Skelton will need many many years behind Hall to develop. He is as raw as they come. He may have the size (so does Jamarcus Russell) but his QB skills are years and years behind what Hall shows. Everything from mechanics, to reading ability (especially this one) and accuracy.

Anderson keeps impressing. That throw to Williams on the first play of the game was totally KW style. Single coverage? 1) Identified immediately 2) the ball placed exactly in a spot where only the WR can get it. And what a catch by Stephen. Beautifull. When QB does someting like this so fast, it is impossible for any defense to stop it. To shame he is so inaccurate, he would have been a great QB.

I still think he can do well, but Hall will do even better eventually.

Then, he again had a sure TD pass that he missed due to his inaccuracy. It happens every game. He reads the play perfectly. Passes on correct timing. With good mechanics. Just throws so hard and without touch.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's Jake Plummer with one very important distinction. When Jake moved in the pocket he became a running back and had his head down looking for escape routes. (Hey we all loved Jake the afternoon of Jan. 2nd 1998) Hall, as was noted by the announcers during the Skins game, keeps his head up and is looking to throw while he moves. It is the number one difference maker in whether a mobile QB is successful.

I like Hall but he is too small and too old for a rookie. :stick:

:D

When Jake was a rookie he was playing against the Raiders in preseason and Jim Plunkett was doing the game in the Bay area for Raiders tv network.

his comment on Plummer was he gets rid of the ball quickly, he has a quick release. Graham had a stronger arm but took longer to make the decision and release it. Plunkett then said something that in hindsight should have been a red flag "from the coaches the problem Jake has right now is he makes quick decisions, but they're often not the right decision."

I think Jake threw 2 picks in that game and like 5 in that preseason and on both of the ones against Oakland it was the same thing, he thought he recognized the defense and made the play only to find out he didn't really know what he was looking at.

With Hall I don't really see that, he made the one mistake in his first game not seeing the safety and throwing a gift pick but for the most part he is throwing to a receiver who is open. Some of his throws have been slightly off target or maybe a bit lacking in zip at times but he had no problems in the preseason seeing who was open. That might change in real games of course teams scheme and gameplan to confuse a rookie, it's full speed with great athletes etc, lots more riding on real games. But what I see when I watch Hall is a kid who generally "gets it".

Impossible to know until he's facing real defenses if he'll still get it but you don't see a lot of rookies even in the preseason who are that good at seeing the field and finding the open guy.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Good old Jake. In his first game with the Cards his QB rating was 130.8. Of course the next game it was 43.2.

OP
OP
Bert

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Good old Jake. In his first game with the Cards his QB rating was 130.8. Of course the next game it was 43.2.

Yeah Jake always made things interesting that's forsure. I remember holding my breath on every single pass he threw. I have nothin but love for Jake though. He made the Cardinals entertaining and exciting, he'd put is holes and then dig us out and he was always running around the field and always excited.