My God How Things Have Changed!

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Appreciation doesn't fully sum up my feelings of having a team like our current Cardinals to cheer for...

I've been a fan since the St. Louis days, if I had a dollar for the number of times I trolled some skank bar that had a satellite feed (this is pre NFL Ticket) asking them to change the corner TV so I could watch the Cards I'd be a rich man.

And the biggest change? Well that most certainly has to be the team reaching the half way point in the season and I'm already doing scenarios in which the Cards could somehow turn things around and still make the playoffs. We'd be 3 and 5 and I'm rooting the Steelers to beat the Giants as that would give us just a sliver of additional hope in winning the East (which we never did).

Regardless of how you feel about Dave McGinnis and Jake Plummer the fact we stole a game from Washington right before the stadium vote should have you at least appreciate the fact these men went door knocking asking for votes. Make no mistake the new stadium has ushered in a completely different era of Cardinal football and I'm giddy over it.

And now Keim and Arians? It feels as if we're not only winning football games but more importantly a complete shift in the franchise's culture and expectations. Think about teams like the Steelers, Cowboys, and Patriots. They EXPECT to be good, not that they always are, however the expectation is they must win or things HAVE to change.

The new Arizona Cardinals remind me of my beloved St. Louis Cardinals - the bar is set at winning...period.

I'm so jacked for Sunday it's unreal. Think about it, win or lose we're in the playoffs WITH ANOTHER GAME TO PLAY! How different is this??? The word AWESOME is tossed around too much, but in this case it perfectly describes the feeling of being a Cardinal fan right now.

So thank you Michael Bidwill, Steve Keim, and Bruce Arians. No matter what the outcome of this season please continue to lay the foundation of a perennial winning organization. For those of us who have paid our dues we certainly won't under appreciate what it took to turn this franchise around.

Finally, while I wouldn't say I'm "absurdly" confident about Sunday's outcme...no wait, yes I will, let's go beat some sea chicken arse! The game can't come quickly enough.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being a Cardinal fan as I am, I only hope the recent upward trend isn't some kind of mirage that will vaporize.

Go Cards

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Been a fan since 1973 when they were here in St. Louis. Cannot say to much how good this organization has changed in the last 8 years or so. The way they put this team together through the draft and FA is a heck of a lot better. Remember those George Boone led drafts - Clyde Duncan, John Lee and etc. I think the foundation is there for this organization to have players want to come here.

The future is bright for the Arizona Cardinals. All I ask is for a Super Bowl win.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
RedRob-----I was one of the door knockers. I knocked on every door in my precinct over a two week period. We still got turned down 2-1 in that precinct, but this time the vote carried unlike the vote for Rio Salado which was soundly defeated. It was more than worth every drop of sweat that I lost during the process. EVERY MAN UP !

OP
OP
RedRob

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
RedRob-----I was one of the door knockers. I knocked on every door in my precinct over a two week period. We still got turned down 2-1 in that precinct, but this time the vote carried unlike the vote for Rio Salado which was soundly defeated. It was more than worth every drop of sweat that I lost during the process. EVERY MAN UP !

That's great Catfish, I doubt many on here realize just how close the stadium passed, and if it had not who knows...probably wouldn't even have an Arizona Cardinal team. My how things have turned around.

denverbirdfan

thanks for flying
Reaction score
I remember those dark corners of bars as well. Cards playing the Browns or something on the road, "color" TV fading in and out, waitresses saying something like - "wow, we never have anyone ask to turn the Cardinals game on."

OP
OP
RedRob

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I remember those dark corners of bars as well. Cards playing the Browns or something on the road, "color" TV fading in and out, waitresses saying something like - "wow, we never have anyone ask to turn the Cardinals game on."

Exactly.

Or, what was worse was when a group comes in after you and they would harass the bartender to change the channel all they while giving you crap because you were interested in watching the Cardinal game.

Or, because you didn't want to be given grief asking to watch the game by the other teams name, "Excuse me, can you turn the TV to the Bears game?"

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh how I can relate with these stories. "You actually root for the Cardinals"..etc..etc...Many a Sunday heading to a bar hoping like hell they would put the game on for me. I am thrilled with what is going on now but man we should have had more than we did.

I can't wait till Sunday night. What a Christmas present a win would be. Don't need anything else.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Oh how I can relate with these stories. "You actually root for the Cardinals"..etc..etc...Many a Sunday heading to a bar hoping like hell they would put the game on for me. I am thrilled with what is going on now but man we should have had more than we did.

I can't wait till Sunday night. What a Christmas present a win would be. Don't need anything else.

I hear it from my own family and coworkers still.

Cards left after the 1987 season and I came back from the military in 1988. I remember in 1988 the local TV still broadcast the games so I was able to catch a few of them but the stationed stopped that after a couple of years. At that time all my friends and family would give me grief about still being a fan. Cards never came here because St. Louis did not have a team until 1995 when the Rams arrived. So the only time I could watch them was when I was not working and they were on TV at that particular time which was rare. Going to college full time and working full time for minimum wage really cut into my viewing time. Before the Cards and Rams were in the same division I was able to see them come here and play once. By the time the divisions were realigned I was better able to go to games (better job). I now go to the game each year here as well as try to go to some away games. Better able financially to do it.

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well said, RedRob...

AMEN!

You can trace my Cardinal "roots" all the way back to 67'. I always seem to have one eye on the present and one eye cast to the near future. In BOTH scenarios things look good, indeed. There are NO CURSES; NO BAD LUCK; NO JINXES!! There are, however, poor mgmt. decisions that stem from the owner on down. I think we can all agree that our football "decisions" these-days are VERY MUCH IMPROVED!

SO, ENJOY IT, my Cardinal friends!! :D

This is NO mirage...It's as real as real can get.

MARK IN SC :)

GOTTA' BASK!
It's a Cardinals-thing! :)

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
AMEN!

You can trace my Cardinal "roots" all the way back to 67'. I always seem to have one eye on the present and one eye cast to the near future. In BOTH scenarios things look good, indeed. There are NO CURSES; NO BAD LUCK; NO JINXES!! There are, however, poor mgmt. decisions that stem from the owner on down. I think we can all agree that our football "decisions" these-days are VERY MUCH IMPROVED!

SO, ENJOY IT, my Cardinal friends!! :D

This is NO mirage...It's as real as real can get.

MARK IN SC :)

GOTTA' BASK!
It's a Cardinals-thing! :)

Same year I started following the team. 1967, seems so long ago. SO much has changed. Back in Nov. 2009 I made a trip to AZ to see the stadium and to see the team play. Had a great time with being invited to so many tailgate parties. Got some golf in too. Nice time of year in AZ. Got to see the Cardinals beat the Hags that day.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I hear it from my own family and coworkers still.

Cards left after the 1987 season and I came back from the military in 1988. I remember in 1988 the local TV still broadcast the games so I was able to catch a few of them but the stationed stopped that after a couple of years. At that time all my friends and family would give me grief about still being a fan. Cards never came here because St. Louis did not have a team until 1995 when the Rams arrived. So the only time I could watch them was when I was not working and they were on TV at that particular time which was rare. Going to college full time and working full time for minimum wage really cut into my viewing time. Before the Cards and Rams were in the same division I was able to see them come here and play once. By the time the divisions were realigned I was better able to go to games (better job). I now go to the game each year here as well as try to go to some away games. Better able financially to do it.

I gotta admire your tenacity and loyalty Stl. You are a TRUE Cards fan and then some. It is guys like you who REALLY appreciate what the team has accomplished this year. I am truly happy for you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave