My attempt at the 2010 starting line-up (offense and defense)

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In and offseason of labor uncertainty and free agency limitations due to the uncapped year, I predict a non eventful offseason for the Cardinals and a 2010 starting line up on both defense and offense that reflect the teams committment to the draft and building from within.

2010 starting offense

LT-Levi Brown: Brown makes the switch from the right to the left side and continues his improvement into a solid albiet unspectacular NFL tackle.

LG-Reggie Wells

C-Lyle Sendlein

RG-Duece Lutui

RT-Brandon Keith: This is the year that Keith gets his shot to show off all that talent we have been hearing about.

TE-Ben Patrick: Another late round gem who pays dividends for the Cardinals.

WR-Larry Fitzgerald

WR-Steve Breaston

FB-Dan Kreider

QB-Matt Leinart

RB-Beanie Wells/Tim Hightower

2010 starting defense

LE-Darnell Dockett: DD gets his big money contract and makes the jump to superstar.

NT-Terrence Cody/Dan Williams: Ken Whisenhunt knows how to build a team and realizes that he has a chance to have something really special along the defensive line if he can land a big time NT. Both Cody and Williams fit the bill and one will be the choice in round #1.

RE-Calais Campbell: Goes from being good to really, really good.

LOLB-Clark Haggans: Provides the veteran leadership necessary with all the youngsters now playing at OLB.

ILB-Gerald Hayes: Bounces back from a subpar year.

ILB-Larry Foote: Replaces Dansby and is the one name free agent signing by the Cardinals. Not the athlete that Dansby is, but more of a traditional run stopping thumper on the inside. A nice veteran presence.

OLB-Will Davis/Cody Brown: Much to the chagrine of Cards fans who are hoping for a big splash free agent or a super rookie #1 pick at this position, the Cards tap Davis and Brown to be the edge rushers at this position. The depth of the Cards 09 draft starts to reap its benefits as the Davis/Brown combo gets 12.5 sacks in 2010.

CB-DRC

CB-Greg Toler: The 2009 draft class shines again in the form of the super talented and tough 4th rounder.

SS-Adrian Wilson

FS-Antrelle Rolle-Rolle gets a nice fair market deal and becomes a solid core guy for the next 5-6 years.

To sum this up, I think the 2010 Cardinals will very much be a by-product of a number of very solid and deep draft classes under the leadership of Graves/Whisenunt. Outside of Kreider and Foote, the remaining 20 starting positions are the result of draft picks/undrafted free agents (Sendlien). The 07-09 draft classes really start to pay bigtime dividends and projects like Keith (08) and Toler (09) really come into their own.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Looks good!

Im hoping Toler is the ideal compliment to DRC on the other end.

Can't wait to see Doucet in 3 wide sets with Q out. His performance should help lessen the pain from Qs absense

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
that's probably about right on the mark. The scary part is that it is almost the exact same as this past year minus Warner, Dansby, and Boldin. That's 3 of the top 6 players on the team.That would be a bad off season to me. The Cards will have removed 20+mill in salary paid out from last year and not upgraded 1 position. I know you have them re-doing DD and Rolle, Rolle has to be re-done no matter what so that's a non-factor, but i'd like to see them at least upgrade 1 position will the money they have coming off the books. A Vince Wilfork signing is what i'm hoping for,but, i agree,it's not Graves's style and he will probably be looking for a good CFL nose tackle.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
With Warner leaving, I think we should hold on to Q. Injuries aside, to any of what would be our new big three, we need his leadership. Pay him and keep him. He is a Cardinal, and should remain a Cardinal.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
With Warner leaving, I think we should hold on to Q. Injuries aside, to any of what would be our new big three, we need his leadership. Pay him and keep him. He is a Cardinal, and should remain a Cardinal.

+1

I am in the minority that believes Q is not going anywhere.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
that's probably about right on the mark. The scary part is that it is almost the exact same as this past year minus Warner, Dansby, and Boldin. That's 3 of the top 6 players on the team.That would be a bad off season to me. The Cards will have removed 20+mill in salary paid out from last year and not upgraded 1 position. I know you have them re-doing DD and Rolle, Rolle has to be re-done no matter what so that's a non-factor, but i'd like to see them at least upgrade 1 position will the money they have coming off the books. A Vince Wilfork signing is what i'm hoping for,but, i agree,it's not Graves's style and he will probably be looking for a good CFL nose tackle.

There are 7 positions that are upgraded IMO. Terrance Cody is and will continue to be a huge upgrade in the middle, as will Toler. Assuming they're healthy, the 2010 versions of Calais Campbell, DRC, Rolle, Beanie and Patrick should all be better than the '09 versions. The offensive line as a whole will likely look much improved without Kurt back there. Having the money to resign Dockett and Rolle also improves our team for the future. You only get ahead in this league by having players whose production outweighs their contracts. Free Agents seldom if ever do that. The draft is what's important here IMO.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks reasonable to me. One free agent in Foote and our #26 pick as a starter. Its conservative not radical which means its fits the Cardinals (Graves) style. Very practical approach.

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I am actually not sure what to make of Foote. He is on the right side of 30, no real injury issues, no off field or locker room issues that I know of. But he is just a LB that makes you go "Ehh". Consistently average and nothing flashy. I guess it would be better then Beisel or a 1st year rookie. But would he sign for only a 1 year deal as a stop gap looking over his shoulder with a coveted rookie behind him just like he had to do in Detriot?

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
But would he sign for only a 1 year deal as a stop gap looking over his shoulder with a coveted rookie behind him just like he had to do in Detriot?

Who is our coveted rookie? If we pick Foote up as a 2-3 yr stop gap maybe we go NT in R1 vs LB. He seems to be a Hayes style LB certainly not a Dansby replacement.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
There are 7 positions that are upgraded IMO. Terrance Cody is and will continue to be a huge upgrade in the middle, as will Toler. Assuming they're healthy, the 2010 versions of Calais Campbell, DRC, Rolle, Beanie and Patrick should all be better than the '09 versions. The offensive line as a whole will likely look much improved without Kurt back there. Having the money to resign Dockett and Rolle also improves our team for the future. You only get ahead in this league by having players whose production outweighs their contracts. Free Agents seldom if ever do that. The draft is what's important here IMO.
Those players will be better but i don't consider them an upgrade because they were likely going to be better anyway. Toler still has alot to prove. Rolle's contract would have been an issue anyway as well. I agree the draft is key but there's nothing to make me think there's anything out there to remotely replace Dansby and you're assuming all those guy are getting better. What about the players who level of play that could easily drop off like, Hayes, Reggie Wells,and AW. I would love for once to go out and get a key via F, like Wilfork. A DL of CC, DD, and Wilfork would be about as good as any 3-4 team in the league.

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
Can Campbell be groomed to replace Berry? He's 6'8, long arms, pretty fast and I believe he can cover a slow RB. If that works we could move Alan Branch in the DE spot. I think Campbell will become our Julius Peppers and be a major disruptive force along with DD.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can Campbell be groomed to replace Berry? He's 6'8, long arms, pretty fast and I believe he can cover a slow RB. If that works we could move Alan Branch in the DE spot. I think Campbell will become our Julius Peppers and be a major disruptive force along with DD.

No

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well that's the end the that stupid idea I guess! Thanks for insight.
No insight should be necessary, but since you insist...

Campbell and Berry play entirely different positions with different responsibilities. Campbell is 6-8 and 300lbs and will get serious consideration for the PB this year if he stays healthy. Why would anyone want to move him into a situational pass rushing role where he plays far less snaps?? Also, Berry didn't cover and RBs but trying to ask a 6'8 300lb man to do it would be one of the dumber things I could imagine from a game-planning standpoint. Your idea would be similar to thinking since Fitz was a valuable part of the passing game last year that maybe he can step up and play QB this year, except Fitz actually has a better chance of playing QB effectively since he has adequate measurables for the position.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Holian, I like your selections a lot. I would only suggest that Levi Brown be kept at RT, now that Kurt has retired. Matty is a lefty, and RT covers his blind side, which is where I would play the most seasoned OT.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Who is our coveted rookie? If we pick Foote up as a 2-3 yr stop gap maybe we go NT in R1 vs LB. He seems to be a Hayes style LB certainly not a Dansby replacement.

Who says you can only covet a LB that you draft in the 1st round? Just like his situation in Detriot they covet their 3rd rounder Levy. Why Foote isnt being asked back.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Who says you can only covet a LB that you draft in the 1st round? Just like his situation in Detriot they covet their 3rd rounder Levy. Why Foote isnt being asked back.

Foote would likely be signed before the draft to be the starting backer if Dansby leaves. At that point, he would be signing as the starter. He would have no problem with that, I would think. I'm not sure there is anything currently on the roster that the coaches covet. Highsmith and Walker? Probably not, though it would be great to see one step up.

If we then draft someone to compete with him, potentially taking over in a couple years, great. I wouldn't be surprised if we did draft someone in that case - in fact that would make a lot of sense.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You talking about AJ Edds I bet. :D

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Foote would likely be signed before the draft to be the starting backer if Dansby leaves. At that point, he would be signing as the starter. He would have no problem with that, I would think.

I am sure Wiz would give him the same speech he gives to all of his players. You ahve to compete for the job and no promises that they wont draft a player or he will be the starter. Unless Wiz changes his MO.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Holian, I like your selections a lot. I would only suggest that Levi Brown be kept at RT, now that Kurt has retired. Matty is a lefty, and RT covers his blind side, which is where I would play the most seasoned OT.

:thumbup:

Can't understand why we'd turn Leinart's backside to a virtual rookie.

Furthermore, I'm not convinced, yet, that the team won't try to re-sign Gandy.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Berry didn't cover and RBs but trying to ask a 6'8 300lb man to do it

Just curious because I erased all of our 2009 games from my dvr, did our OLB on that side ever really do much in pass coverage? Seems to me that Dansby took that responsibility from his ILB spot.