Murray to Cards a "done deal"

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Boomer Esiason had an interesting take on the Rosen situation.....he compared the situation to that of Jared Goff when he came into the league....horrendous coaching staff....average O-line....Rookie learning curve....I just think it's to early to give up on Rosen. There is a good chance we are going to suck this year anyway...trade down a couple spots....stockpile picks ...if Rosen fails this year....cut him, pool your picks you stockpiled, move up in next years draft and pick a QB.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Boomer Esiason had an interesting take on the Rosen situation.....he compared the situation to that of Jared Goff when he came into the league....horrendous coaching staff....average O-line....Rookie learning curve....I just think it's to early to give up on Rosen. There is a good chance we are going to suck this year anyway...trade down a couple spots....stockpile picks ...if Rosen fails this year....cut him, pool your picks you stockpiled, move up in next years draft and pick a QB.
I don't disagree, at all...I just offered an alternative that may allow the Cards to go with Murray and not take it in the shorts with Rosen.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
PS: with Boomers disdain of the Cardinals, I'm actually a bit surprised with his take. I would have expected him to take a few shots at the club, making fun of them in this situation.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
So, I'm still wanting to keep Rosen and build around him, BUT if the Cards are going to go for Murray, here is my trade scenario:

Trade Rosen to Broncos for #10 AND Case Keenum...yes, he will cost $20 million, but it's just 1 season...To me, Denver gets the pocket passer they covet...The Cards get a QB that, hands down, knows KKs offense and can start the season, or be backup to Murray for 1 year. The Cards can draft another good player at #10 and really not miss a beat. If it weren't for the rookie wage scale, this wouldn't be possible, but I think it can work. This also allows the Cards to save some face, by getting a perceived 1st rounder back for Rosen and not a 3rd.

The Cardinals ALSO take an $8 million cap hit here. Lose a good chunk of free agency money by getting Keenum.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
The Cardinals ALSO take an $8 million cap hit here. Lose a good chunk of free agency money by getting Keenum.
That extra top 10 first, though....could be a dynamic player, or parlayed to couple more pics... basically with the rookie scale, you can build through the draft this year...absorb that $8 million and $20 million this year...have a crap ton of cap space next year, to help fill in gaps on the team...after Murray and Co have had a year together.

Let's be honest, no matter what the Cards do in FA this year, they aren't likely to win the division, or more, in year 1 of KK. It's probably going to be similar to BAs 1st season...look discombobulated for the 1st half of the season, with spurts of good play ..then hitting their stride the 2nd half of the season.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That extra top 10 first, though....could be a dynamic player, or parlayed to couple more pics... basically with the rookie scale, you can build through the draft this year...absorb that $8 million and $20 million this year...have a crap ton of cap space next year, to help fill in gaps on the team...after Murray and Co have had a year together.

Let's be honest, no matter what the Cards do in FA this year, they aren't likely to win the division, or more, in year 1 of KK. It's probably going to be similar to BAs 1st season...look discombobulated for the 1st half of the season, with spurts of good play ..then hitting their stride the 2nd half of the season.

Taking on a $20 million contract is an awful idea either way. You could sign a player and front load his contract and have a really good player at that cost.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Taking on a $20 million contract is an awful idea either way. You could sign a player and front load his contract and have a really good player at that cost.
It's just 1 year...and look at what the Browns did last year, with Brocks $18 million...this would be a similar situation. Also, their aren't a ton of impact FAs this year, so are you really missing out on the vet, vs. a draft pick rookie?

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Gotta spend your capital building the team, or any quarterback would suck. You've got the golden prize this year in the first overall pick. With some maneuvering you could turn that into a horde of second round picks. Goff sucked as a rook, but solidified the next year just fine. The Rams went from crap to Super Bowl participants in two years buy building a ridiculous roster, not because of Goff.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's just 1 year...and look at what the Browns did last year, with Brocks $18 million...this would be a similar situation. Also, their aren't a ton of impact FAs this year, so are you really missing out on the vet, vs. a draft pick rookie?

The Browns straight up got a pick for taking on Osweiler. The Cards are giving a good QB prospect for a decent pick AND a horrible contract

If Rosen was in this draft, he'd be worth more than the #10 pick in a trade.

And like I said, you could sign someone like Trent Brown and pay him $20 million this year and have his contract be much smaller over the life of the contract and thus create cap space down the road.

And you take the $8 million cap hit for Rosen on top....that means the Cards have like what, $8 million for free agency? It's an awful idea.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I'm still wanting to keep Rosen and build around him, BUT if the Cards are going to go for Murray, here is my trade scenario:

Trade Rosen to Broncos for #10 AND Case Keenum...yes, he will cost $20 million, but it's just 1 season...To me, Denver gets the pocket passer they covet...The Cards get a QB that, hands down, knows KKs offense and can start the season, or be backup to Murray for 1 year. The Cards can draft another good player at #10 and really not miss a beat. If it weren't for the rookie wage scale, this wouldn't be possible, but I think it can work. This also allows the Cards to save some face, by getting a perceived 1st rounder back for Rosen and not a 3rd.

Absolutely NO. So not only are we going to take a 8m cap hit for Rosen we’re going to use another 20m of our cap space for Keenum????

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Browns straight up got a pick for taking on Osweiler. The Cards are giving a good QB prospect for a decent pick AND a horrible contract

If Rosen was in this draft, he'd be worth more than the #10 pick in a trade.

And like I said, you could sign someone like Trent Brown and pay him $20 million this year and have his contract be much smaller over the life of the contract and thus create cap space down the road.

And you take the $8 million cap hit for Rosen on top....that means the Cards have like what, $8 million for free agency? It's an awful idea.

It’s a 4m difference in cap hits between keeping Rosen and trading him. If they trade him they’d have roughly ~34 mil in cap space left. Now it doesn’t make sense to trade him but the financial aspect is insignificant.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just wonder if we draft Kyler & he has the same rookie season Rosen had, does he get dropped too & we talk about Tua or does he get more leeway?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not true because they would give them 2-3 years to try and develop with a new coach even... If we take one and keep both and both failures which isn’t even completely out of the realm of possibility… We would be the dregs of the NFL for the next 15 years
Overreaction. Teams have blown #1 picks or high QB selections and rebounded. Cheese and I were just talking about this but I can’t remember the exact circumstances or teams now. But I was immediately struck by how wrong that thinking was.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Case Keenum makes me want to vomit....I'd take that 10 pick though. Sadly I think all our leverage is gone be lucky to get a late 1st

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I watched Rosen and Murray College highlights on Youtube last night. One thing Murray's highlights lacked was intermediate throws over the middle. Anyone know of information regarding how Murray is throwing over the middle?

Have to say, Murray throws a lot like Russel Wilson on long throws and built similar to Wilson (not as thick).

DRM08

Veteran
Reaction score
I just wonder if we draft Kyler & he has the same rookie season Rosen had, does he get dropped too & we talk about Tua or does he get more leeway?

Same question applies to Kliff compared to Wilks. Your ownership has shown willingness to pull the plug with very little patience. It wouldn't be that shocking to see it happen again. Honestly I'm surprised they didn't fire the GM too. He has done a questionable job with the roster and he had legal troubles that justify termination.

Reactions: HGC

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes. Keep swinging until you find someone.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It’s a 4m difference in cap hits between keeping Rosen and trading him. If they trade him they’d have roughly ~34 mil in cap space left. Now it doesn’t make sense to trade him but the financial aspect is insignificant.

I'm talking about his idea of also adding Case Keenum. That would kill most of the Cardinals cap space, or at least a huge chunk of it.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Case Keenum is not anybody you would ever want to start. Therefore why would you ever want to pay him $20 million?

Why would you want him period? If Murray flops, I would rather tank for next years draft anyway.

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score
I watched Rosen and Murray College highlights on Youtube last night. One thing Murray's highlights lacked was intermediate throws over the middle. Anyone know of information regarding how Murray is throwing over the middle?

Have to say, Murray throws a lot like Russel Wilson on long throws and built similar to Wilson (not as thick).

I would say it is a very good question. I am one who questions his short to intermediate accuracy/velocity. He throws a great deep ball. He throws it almost as you would a baseball.

This is a reason i wanted to see him throw at the combine. I really haven't seen him throw the ball with a lot of velocity which is a big red flag playing in the NFL where there are much tighter windows to throw through.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Did anyone listen to Pete Prisco on Cards Cover 2? He said he has Drew Lock above Murray and he said the Cards would be stupid to give up on Rosen, he was pretty adamant about it.

Reactions: PJ1

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Eh, if no one is willing to give up a pick 1-9 for him then this is clearly wrong.
Uhhhh... except he played pretty bad football on a bad team.

Your value goes down if you come out, play actual NFL football, and look bad. Of course I haven't given up on him, but it's another year of evaluation. The Cards won't get a first for him if they do end up picking Murray.

But that doesn't change what his college career would have had him pegged at if he didn't have that year of additional tape.