Msblaster Virus

HIX

Brittney, Anna, Madonna
Reaction score
Here is how to check and remove

This procedure terminates the running malware process from memory.

Open Windows Task Manager press
CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, and click the Processes tab.
In the list of running programs*, locate the process:
MSBLAST.EXE (If you find it your ARE infected!)

Select the malware process, then press either the the End Process button.
To check if the malware process has been terminated, close Task Manager, and then open it again.
Close Task Manager.
Removing Autostart Entries from the Registry

Removing autostart entries from the registry prevents the malware from executing during startup. (Be carefull here if you F up you will be jacked)

Open Registry Editor. To do this, click Start>Run, type Regedit, then press Enter.
In the left panel, double-click the following:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft>
Windows>CurrentVersion>Run
In the right panel, locate and delete the entry:
”windows auto update" = MSBLAST.EXE
Close Registry Editor.

No go download the patsh from microsoft so you won't get infected again!

Good luck!

OP
OP
HIX

HIX

Brittney, Anna, Madonna
Reaction score
Here is a good removal tool

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

For those who caught the virus and can not get the PC to stay up long enough to download the patch do this.

Open a command line window. Don't know how? Go to start, run and type in "cmd"

When you get the shutdown warning type in "shutdown -a" this will abort the shutdown and give you time to download the patch and fix files. This will need to be done each time you restart until you fix it.

The cause of the reboot is indirectly the virus, the real cause is that on Win XP the RPC is needed to run so many things, the default setting is to reboot when this crashes. And the virus causes the RPC to lose control of it self and eventually crashes.

Last edited:

Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished blasting the blaster virus out of my machine. The tool works well, takes some time but cleans the virus.

If you are running an XP machine and can't get the virus to stay gone no matter how many times you clean it. Try disabling your "System Restore" feature ---Right Click on My Computer and select Properties.

I learned the hard way by eliminating the virus about 4 times and restarting the machine only to have Windows "restore" it for me.

Disable the System Restore, run the FixBlast.exe, apply the patch. I found it easier and faster to download it first and stop FixBlast from searching for the file after the virus is cleaned. Then run LiveUpdate to get the most current virus definitions.