Movie A Day #73: Mulholland Dr.

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
I could give a complete synopsis, but it would take forever, since there are so many points that could be discussed and debated. David Lynch is someone you either love or hate.

Mulholland Drive is very dreamlike. It took me two views to figure “most” of it out. The DVD doesn’t have chapter breaks, which sucks.

The film begins with a beautiful woman, played by Laura Elena Harring, involved in a huge car crash. She wakes up and cannot remember anything but stumbles down the hill to a Hollywood home. There, she meets Betty Elms (Naomi Watts), a young woman from Ontario who has recently moved to Hollywood to start her budding career as an actress. Betty and the mysterious woman play detective to find her true identity. There are several other subplots within the film, each consisting of very "Lynchish" characters such as a cowboy, a man with a strange dream, and a director who is forced by Hollywood execs to choose a certain lead actress for his next film.

IMO, the conversation between the cowboy and director is one the best scenes ever. PLUS, the lesbian scenes are pretty great too. :D

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Great choice! This is easily my favorite David Lynch movie, even more than Blue Velvet, which is another great one.

The performances are perfect, and the ending is so appropriate (as well as tragic), that it really takes advantage of some of the confusion. Very well made. Love it!

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
Can't say enough good things about this movie. It really has to be seen, as words cannot adequately convey just how bizarre, beautiful, engaging, and thought provoking this film really is. Definitely not for everybody, but for fans of the surreal (and let's face it, if you're a Lynch fan you should know what to expect) this is a must see!

OP
OP
Beaver

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Mulholland was the first Lynch movie I saw, I liked it so much I rented everything I could find of his the next week. Don't really care for Dune, BV was great, Lost Highway was different, but not as good as Mulholland. The only one I can't find is Eraserhead. Have you guys seen the Twin Peaks series?

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
The performances are perfect, and the ending is so appropriate (as well as tragic), that it really takes advantage of some of the confusion. Very well made. Love it!

Ending appropriate? I don't even know what the hell happened in this movie, and neither do most anyone who saw it.

Maybe it was well made, good performances, but the movie made zero sense to 99% of the people who saw it, and aside from the obviously enjoyable "girl" scenes, it was a waste of time to me.

Leaving a movie that doesn't even give you a slight idea of what is going on just isn't my cup of tea. Another movie kind of like this would be Memento, but at least that one had a plot you could follow and figure out for the most part and feel pretty good about it.

Mike

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chandler Mike
Ending appropriate? I don't even know what the hell happened in this movie, and neither do most anyone who saw it.

Mike

Anyone? Maybe anyone you know. But don't generalize like that.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
Anyone? Maybe anyone you know. But don't generalize like that.

I didn't say ANYONE, I said MOST ANYONE, which means A LOT OF PEOPLE.

Don't try to say you understand it, cause heck, even Roger Ebert didn't get the movie, despite liking it.

Mike

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by BendCardfan
Mulholland was the first Lynch movie I saw, I liked it so much I rented everything I could find of his the next week. Don't really care for Dune, BV was great, Lost Highway was different, but not as good as Mulholland. The only one I can't find is Eraserhead. Have you guys seen the Twin Peaks series?

Mulholland Drive was fantastic, but Im telling you, if youre looking for the BEST David Lynch movie EVER....

Wild at Heart.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn