Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie-A-Day #426: Quigley Down Under

You must be registered for see images attach

Quigley Down Under

Tagline: The West was never this far west...

Cast: Tom Selleck, Laura San Giacomo, Alan Rickman, Chris Haywood, Ron Haddrick.

Plot Summary: Sharpshooter Matthew Quigley is hired from Montana by an Australian rancher paying a very high price. But when Quigley arrives Down Under, all is not as it seems.

Trivia: The infamous gun that is used by the main character Matthew Quigley is a replica model 1874 Sharps Buffalo Rifle.

The film was to have been Steve McQueen's follow-up to The Hunter (1980), but he fell ill shortly after filming The Hunter (1980), so the project was scrapped.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Selleck and Rickman were both excellent in this Western set in Australia. Great scenery and long distance shooting. Might have been better without some of the forced comedic moments (often with the Crazy Cora character).

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's one of my wife's favorites. And with one exception, it's not a bad movie. But, it's the one movie that made me want to track down the writers and beat the heck out of them. I don't mind when they take a few liberties but I hate it when they plainly announce that the audience is stupid and then proceed to prove it.

Early in the movie, Rickman tells his reason for bringing Selleck over. He's hunting these bad guys that are so much like ghosts that only a long range shooter would be able to handle them. From that moment forward, every time someone on the screen gets an erection it knocks 50 of these guys off a cliff. You can't move without running one of them over. They are the least invisible types I've ever seen. Personally, I'd rather they just smiled into the camera and admitted they brought Selleck in for his box office appeal.

On an aside, my wife has had to hear me rant about this very thing so many times that she's always been reluctant to buy the movie on DVD. However, she still likes the movie so she buys it anyway and puts it someplace other than with our collection. Since it's not staring her in the face she forgets we own it and grabs another one when she finds it in the bargain bin. So far, we have 4 unwatched copies of the movie.

Steve

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I liked this movie when it came out (ofcourse I was 10 years old, lol) but I haven't seen it since then. I dont remember anything about it except for Quigley's gun and the girl who was crazy from smothering her own baby. Will have to refresh my memory thanks for the post! My dad really likes it I know he has the DVD so I'll have to stop by and borrow it.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First time I saw it was at a matinee with my dad and all the retired folks. I was easily the youngest person in the audience. Something was wrong up in the projection booth and everybody was 12 feet tall and weighed about 60 pounds. Some octogenarian behind us kept saying, "I didn't know Australians were so skinny." I finally got up and hunted down the manager and told him to check the aspect ratio for Quigley. Tom gained 120 pounds a couple of minutes later.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard