Movie-a-Day #253 -- Big Fish

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a very good movie, IMO. Tim Burton always paints beautifully on the screen with his images, and this movie is more of the same. With great scenes, scenery, acting and such a silly and crazy storyline, this movie is wonderful.

My father was like the dad in this movie...he sure could spin a good yarn. Half the time I thought he was the most amazing person on the planet, the other half I thought he had to be full of crap. But the stories of "me and Gene and Fatty and Bean," regardless of their authenticity, kept my childhood going and I still tell some of them to my kids, like the story of the Wampus Cat.

Perhaps that is why this movie, Big Fish, affected me so much. I found it to be a very touching movie, that was incredibly entertaining to watch. I also found it similar in feel to the first movie I profiled, O Brother Where Art Thou, in the wild adventures the characters have.

This is a great movie to sit and watch, with great acting from Ewan McGregor and Albert Finney in a completely odd world. Great bit part from Steve Buscemi as well, in two different parts of the movie.

IMDB Plot Summary

The story revolves around a dying father and his son, who is trying to learn more about his dad by piecing together the stories he has gathered over the years. The son winds up re-creating his father's elusive life in a series of legends and myths inspired by the few facts he knows. Through these tales, the son begins to understand his father's great feats and his great failings.

Amazon Plot Summary

Big Fish twines in and out of the oversized stories of Edward Bloom, played as a young man by Ewan McGregor (Moulin Rouge, Down with Love) and as a dying father by Albert Finney (Tom Jones). Edward's son Will (Billy Crudup, Almost Famous) sits by his father's bedside but has little patience with the old man's fables, because he feels these stories have kept him from knowing who his father really is. Burton dives into Bloom's imagination with zest, sending the determined young man into haunted woods, an idealized Southern town, a traveling circus, and much more. The result is sweet but--thanks to the director's dark and clever sensibility--never saccharine. Also featuring Jessica Lange, Alison Lohman, Helena Bonham Carter, Danny DeVito, and Steve Buscemi.

Neither of these actually does justice to this fine film. All I know is Grass So Green, Sky So Blue, Spectre is really great.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
If anyone hasn't seen it they should right away. Story-telling at its finest I thought.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have most of you not seen this movie, or didn't like it? Strange...

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Haven't seen it...yet.

Same here. I want to see it, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I love Tim Burton movies.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Have most of you not seen this movie, or didn't like it? Strange...

I've seen it, not my favorite Tim Burton movie, but still fascinating nonetheless. Much more dramatic than his usual stuff--to me, it seemed like something Jean-Pierre Jeunet would do (he did Amelie, Delicatessan and City of Lost Children--all spectacular). Very visually stimulating, but certainly more melodrama than Burton's best (i.e. Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, etc.).

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I thought it was a pretty good flick. It hit very close to home. I have some pretty far out stories, and I think my wife and kids think I am making them up. Every once in a great while, someone we bumb into tells their side of the story, and then my wife and kids look at each other like, "I thought that was just a story dad made up." After watching the movie with my family, they kept looking at me differntly for about a week. ;)

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite movies of all time. A true 5 star movie. The more times I see it, the better I like it. There is an incredible amount of stories and sub-stories going on, virtually all of which have to do with family in one way or another.

If you haven't seen it, do so! That's an order, mister (or Ms.)!!! :thumbup:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its rare but here we are again Chris. This movie flat out sucked! :iwin:
Shane H, congrats on your A$FN. I am very happy to have lost the Boldin trade bets. Can I borrow enough to get me back to a billion? :)