Movie-a-Day #249 -- O Brother, Where Art Thou?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plot Summary for
O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)

Loosely based on Homer's 'Odyssey' the movie deals with the grotesque adventures of Everett Ulysses McGill and his companions Delmar and Pete in 1930s Mississipi. Sprung from a chain gang and trying to reach Everetts home to recover the buried loot of a bank heist they are confronted by a series of strange characters. Among them sirens, a cyclops, bankrobber George 'Babyface' Nelson (very annoyed by that nickname), a campaigning Governor, his opponent, a KKK lynch mob, and a blind prophet, who warns the trio that "the treasure you seek shall not be the treasure you find."

Directed by
Joel Coen (more)

Writing credits
Homer (epic poem The Odyssey)
Ethan Coen (written by) ...

Cast overview, first billed only:
George Clooney .... Ulysses Everett McGill
John Turturro .... Pete
Tim Blake Nelson .... Delmar O'Donnell
John Goodman .... Big Dan Teague
Holly Hunter .... Penny

I love this movie...I love the Coen bros in general. I wasn't much of a Clooney fan until seeing this movie either, but he is great in it. I give this one :thumbup: :thumbup:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
I love this movie...I love the Coen bros in general. I wasn't much of a Clooney fan until seeing this movie either, but he is great in it. I give this one :thumbup: :thumbup:

I pretty much agree with you, but I could stand Clooney when he was on ER and in Three Kings--along with this movie.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie-a-day #96 :D

Here's a list of what's been done, although it's no big deal to have duplicates after awhile. Just shows that people really like certain films. :thumbup:

We've still never seen this and we've owned the DVD for some time now. Have to sit back and watch it some day.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I thought I scoured that list making sure it wasn't on there.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked this movie a lot.

It's funny, I've never heard anyone say, "Eh, it was okay." People either love it or hate it.