Movie-a-day #247 Notting Hill

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow's movie:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000023VTP/qid=1125964213/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-3828371-1673657?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846
You must be registered for see images attach

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com essential video
They don't really make many romantic comedies like Notting Hill anymore--blissfully romantic, sincerely sweet, and not grounded in any reality whatsoever. Pure fairy tale, and with a huge debt to Roman Holiday, Notting Hill ponders what would happen if a beautiful, world-famous person were to suddenly drop into your life unannounced and promptly fall in love with you. That's the crux of the situation for William Thacker (Hugh Grant), who owns a travel bookshop in London's fashionable Notting Hill district. Hopelessly ordinary (well, as ordinary as you can be when you're Hugh Grant), William is going about his life when renowned movie star Anna Scott (Julia Roberts) walks into his bookstore and into his heart. After another contrived meet-cute involving spilled orange juice, William and Anna share a spontaneous kiss (big suspension of disbelief required here), and soon both are smitten. The question is, of course, can William and Anna reconcile his decidedly commonplace bookseller existence and her lifestyle as a jet-setting, paparazzi-stalked celebrity? (Take a wild guess at the answer.) Smartly scripted by Richard Curtis (Four Weddings and a Funeral) and directed by Roger Michell (Persuasion), Notting Hill is hardly realistic, but as wish fulfillment and a romantic comedy, it's irresistible. True, Roberts doesn't really have to stretch very far to play a big-time actress who makes $15 million per movie, but she's more winning and relaxed than she's been in years, and Grant is sweetly understated as a man blindsided by love. Together, in moments of quiet, they're a charming couple, and you can feel her craving for real love and his awe and amazement at the wonderful person for whom he has fallen. The only blight on the film is its overbearing pop soundtrack, though Elvis Costello's heart-wrenching version of "She" gets poignant exposure. With Rhys Ifans as Grant's scene-stealing, slovenly housemate and Alec Baldwin in a sly, perfectly cast cameo. --Mark Englehart --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Cast List
Julia Roberts ... Anna Scott
Hugh Grant ... William Thacker
Richard McCabe ... Tony
Rhys Ifans ... Spike
James Dreyfus ... Martin

My thoughts:

Since many of my other favorite chick-flicks had already been done, this is the one I'm doing! This is such a sweet chick flick! A bit of humor tossed in, along with the struggle of finding true love. This is just one of those movies that I could watch over and over. The goofy “flat mate” cracks me up!!!!!!!!!

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have not seen this yet... not sure why!

i will check it out!

marathon_mom

Bring it on!!!
Reaction score
The flat mate was classic. His t-shirt selections remind me of yours! :lmao:

Decent flick, not my fave, but good. :thumbup: ANYTHING is better than NEWSIES!!!! :eek:

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
Horrible Movie!!! I wanted to shoot myself by the end. The acting if fine, the script is decent. My issue with that movie is that Robert's character treats Grant's character like crap through the whole film and he keeps coming back to her every time. Julia Roberts is admittedly attractive, but no woman is worth the amount of crap she puts the Grant through.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson