Movie-a-day #246 Newsies

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's tomorrow's movie! (Shut up Ryan, you :newbie:! :D )
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6302533953/qid=1125963355/sr=8-5/ref=pd_bbs_5/002-3828371-1673657?v=glance&s=video&n=507846

You must be registered for see images attach

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com
Except for feature-length animation, the musical has gone the way of the dinosaur. The Walt Disney company took a stab at reviving the live-action musical in 1992 with Newsies, a throwback picture with a curious subject. In 1899, the pint-sized newsboys delivering the New York papers go on strike against the unfair practices of news magnates Joseph Pulitzer and William Randolph Hearst. The production is heavy on kiddie humor, although Christian Bale (the child star of Spielberg's Empire of the Sun) is charismatic as one of the older leaders of the revolt. The adult stars don't fare as well, with Robert Duvall doddering around as Pulitzer and Ann-Margret and Bill Pullman doing decorative duty. The film was not well received when first released, but hindsight reveals its charm (and allowed the young target audience to catch up with the picture on video). The first-time director is Kenny Ortega, the choreographer of Dirty Dancing, who brings plenty of energy to the action. --Robert Horton

Cast List
Christian Bale ... Jack 'Cowboy' Kelly
David Moscow ... David Jacobs
Luke Edwards ... Les Jacobs
Max Casella ... Racetrack Higgins
Marty Belafsky ... Crutchy
Arvie Lowe Jr. ... Boots
Aaron Lohr ... Mush

My thoughts:

When I saw the first preview for this movie before it came to the theaters, I was a freshman in high school. For my entire sophomore and junior years, this movie was fresh on everyone’s minds. (Yes, I hung out with/was one of the drama/choir geeks.) I have ALWAYS been a huge fan of musicals, so of course, I instantly fell in love with this one! Christian Bale was one of the teen “stars” that I totally had a crush on! I mean, who could resist a cute guy that could sing and dance?

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
Besides the fact that street urchins were randomly breaking into song and dance, I couldn't get past the thought "What is Dougie Howser's friend doing delivering newspapers?"

OP
OP
C

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neo said:
Besides the fact that street urchins were randomly breaking into song and dance, I couldn't get past the thought "What is Dougie Howser's friend doing delivering newspapers?"

Yeah, that was a pretty hard thing to get over. I still see him and think of Dougie Howser! LOL! But hey, Christian Bale makes up for it! :thumbup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard