More love for Rosen

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Greg Cosell on Ross Tucker podcast (7:00 minute mark):

https://podcastone.com/episode/RTFP-908-Greg-Cosell

"I thought he looked very very good..."

"I think he's a very very comfortable player. I think there's a poise to his game. He made some very very good pocket throws. He knows where to go with the ball. He's accurate throwing it. There's a sense of timing and rhythm to his game..."

"I thought Rosen was calm, poised in the pocket. He played with refinement and nuance. He threw the ball with consistent and precise accuracy..."

"He played at a high high level for his first NFL start."

This guy does a pretty good job diagraming a few of Rosen's throws and drops:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bay area media has been talking him up too all week. He's going to have bad starts, all rookies do, and he's got to learn not to force throws he did several times last week, but he has such a good arm, he's been accurate and he has touch. He has a chance to be a great QB, we have to do everything we can to help him get there

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Bay area media has been talking him up too all week. He's going to have bad starts, all rookies do, and he's got to learn not to force throws he did several times last week, but he has such a good arm, he's been accurate and he has touch. He has a chance to be a great QB, we have to do everything we can to help him get there

Agreed. He is a gunslinger and certainly made some dumb throws/int's at UCLA...we should expect the same in the NFL.

Very encouraging start.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. He is a gunslinger and certainly made some dumb throws/int's at UCLA...we should expect the same in the NFL.

Very encouraging start.

There were at least 2 throws last week where he forced balls to Fitz that could easily have been picked if just slightly off. One was actually into double coverage and hit Fitz in the hands and he dropped it. They showed it quite a bit this week as an example of how good Rosen's arm is. He threw the ball not set, and it was such a good throw it got between 2 defenders and got to Fitz.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I don’t think you want to coach the bad throws out of him. If he can make those throws, he should be pushing the ball. I think he knows that he has to make magic happen.

The problem is that if you don’t have a strong support system around him, you get Jay Cutler trying to thread the ball through a keyhole because he doesn’t believe there’s a better way.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Kid has a chance to be in the HOF if we put the right pieces around him.

Those right pieces are not our horrendous coaching staff and wide receivers

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A little troubled by the overthrows. Otherwise he looked the role. Can only get better from here. (right McCoy?)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josh was not good yesterday but if you saw him play in college, that was the issue there too. he'd miss some open throws. I think he was just too hyped up, not sure why but he was consistently high with his throws. We had some drops again, at least 4, but he had a bunch of high throws that were his fault.

What impressed me was in a game where he had no run game and they were free to get after him, he continues to show very good pocket presence. He had a play where he took a sack after the bad snap that he probably could have thrown away, I think he was worried aobut grounding since he was in the pocket, but for the most part he stepped up to avoid the rush, and had good awareness. He got hit often just after the throw, some of those high throws were caused in part by the pass rush.

Definitely not a good game from him but that's how rookies play.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Josh was not good yesterday but if you saw him play in college, that was the issue there too. he'd miss some open throws. I think he was just too hyped up, not sure why but he was consistently high with his throws. We had some drops again, at least 4, but he had a bunch of high throws that were his fault.

What impressed me was in a game where he had no run game and they were free to get after him, he continues to show very good pocket presence. He had a play where he took a sack after the bad snap that he probably could have thrown away, I think he was worried aobut grounding since he was in the pocket, but for the most part he stepped up to avoid the rush, and had good awareness. He got hit often just after the throw, some of those high throws were caused in part by the pass rush.

Definitely not a good game from him but that's how rookies play.
Biggest thing is that he didn’t turn the ball over, either.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ONe other negative, Josh IMO really needs to work on the non throwing part of playing QB. An example is his ball fakes which IMO are not very good at all, he kind of goes through the motions so play action is less effective because you don't believe he's going to hand the ball off. The first one on the TD pass was a good fake but there were several where he was not even close to the RB. Given he played for an NFL coach in college for 3 years, I don't see why he isn't better at that stuff.

Peyton Manning is of course the poster child he took EVERY detail to an extreme, a big part of why he was so good even late in his career after arm issues was he was so good at all the little things. You don't expect a 21 year old rookie to have all that down of course so hopefully JOsh puts in the work, and gets the coaching, on all that. He's a VERY bright kid so it's a matter of him working on those things.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He was bad, yesterday. But, as a rookie, I guess that is to be expected. Fortunately, we were playing the ONE team, that we could beat, when playing so poorly.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
A few of Rosen's misses yesterday looked like miscommunication on timing routes? Those will come with repetition with his recievers. He excels at scanning the field to find open recievers and placing a perfect throw "most" of the time. Although he was throwing high on a few. As I said yesterday, I have zero concerns with Rosen at this point.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bad game but he will learn. He has no run game so we are asking a lot from him...

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
He got hit often just after the throw, some of those high throws were caused in part by the pass rush. Definitely not a good game from him but that's how rookies play.

Yeah, I think the rush was def getting to him and was rushing his throws.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This forum needs to really chill about Leftwich. You all talk up the guy like Arians Jr. It is two decades away.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
This forum needs to really chill about Leftwich. You all talk up the guy like Arians Jr. It is two decades away.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
I was talking about Lefty being his QB coach, which he is now. Not the OC, but anyone talking lefty as OC is talking about this as someone who could fill in if Mc is fired midseason. I don't think anyone would suggest that Lefty is ready to be a full time OC.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose