Monty Williams Fired (Hired by Detroit)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if any assistants follow Monty to Detroit.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I suspect the areas of town where Monty will be looking to buy a home don't have crime problems.
I suspect you're right. The post I was responding to seemed to indicate that Phoenix has a higher crime rate. Phoenix does not.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
If you give him the vet/star pieces he has to use them over the younger/lesser quality pieces otherwise he's got to coach what he's got. Just shows how it works & why players get shut out when in win mode.

If he's capable of coaching young players on the worst team in the league he was capable when he had the best. Exclusive win mode changes the trajectory & Jones 5 X 3 roster construction is an great idea on paper until you have to win.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you give him the vet/star pieces he has to use them over the younger/lesser quality pieces otherwise he's got to coach what he's got. Just shows how it works & why players get shut out when in win mode.

If he's capable of coaching young players on the worst team in the league he was capable when he had the best. Exclusive win mode changes the trajectory & Jones 5 X 3 roster construction is a great idea on paper until you have to win.
Don’t agree successful regular season coaching is dramatically different than playoff coaching.

it’s almost like a different sport.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And how exactly did Monty "fall to the all mighty dollar"? By taking a job? He somehow compromised his principles by taking a job? Doing what he loves? Dude isn't even here anymore and the spin cycle continues

Reportedly he wanted to take time off being the family man he is. And to be there for his son who is going to be playing college as well.

So much for being that family man while taking a big contract in Detroit.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If he's capable of coaching young players on the worst team in the league he was capable when he had the best. Exclusive win mode changes the trajectory & Jones 5 X 3 roster construction is an great idea on paper until you have to win.

The Nuggets were a solid 5 X 3. So were the Heat and Celtics.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Reportedly he wanted to take time off being the family man he is. And to be there for his son who is going to be playing college as well.

Well, when someone throws that kind of moolah at you, you probably change your priorities pretty quickly.

Honestly, I don't expect that Monty will be really any more successful there than anyone else has been lately... unless he can trade for Chris Paul, stuff him in a time machine, and de-age him ten years.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I'm uncertain on the $20 million that Monty was scheduled to receive from the Suns, but it could be that he does not receive it since he is taking a new head coaching job.
Pretty sure there was some kind of clause in his contract stating exactly that. It's usually pretty standard.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure there was some kind of clause in his contract stating exactly that. It's usually pretty standard.

I think so. If true, Monty could have coasted and picked a job with a different team if he wanted.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wonder how the Monty and Book relationship will be when we play Detroit. Book is a native Michigander with the coach he went to the Finals with now coaching his home state team.

I simply say this because we know Book is extremely competitive and a definite talker lol. I’d assume it’d be cordial but you never know.

Wishing Monty the best of luck in his endeavors.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gonna be real interesting to see Monty coach without Paul

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He did a pretty solid job with Rubio and a bunch of youngins. As much guff as I gave Monty, we were a complete and utter train wreck… literally worst Suns team in franchise history… the season before he arrived. Made us an below mediocre team immediately from dirt that found magic in the bubble, lifting us to respectability within one calendar year.

He‘s one in a long line of Del Harris/Doug Collins of the league.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Monty made strides in the Orlando bubble without Chris Paul.

Sure, Paul and Crowder gave them a bounce the next two seasons.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

I sure hope he hires Isiah Thomas as an assistant.