Monty Williams Fired (Hired by Detroit)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Gambo may be wrong on this? :shrug:

Nah. Gambo just needs to do more homework. He is not in the Bud category yet.

We will have to keep track of the no predictions.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Sounds like Gambo may be wrong on this? :shrug:
Gambo is so giddy to shoot down reports from other outlets that he was gonna get burned one of these days.

When they interview Nurse he needs to be grilled on why chemistry in Toronto plummeted and why it won’t happen here.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Gambo is so giddy to shoot down reports from other outlets that he was gonna get burned one of these days.

When they interview Nurse he needs to be grilled on why chemistry in Toronto plummeted and why it won’t happen here.
I wish we had a 100% emoji

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Amazing how high the demand for a fired coach is in the NBA.

All the do is recycle the same coaches over & over. There's a lot more to coaching than x's & o's that they learn & execute. They are also spokesman for the team. And how Monty coaches ain't all different from how all the others coach...even Spo has system & plays who he want (likes).

Changing of the guard might get fresh new results for all involved.

This recyling is true for players too. The experience they gain along the way usually pays off for some lucky team one day. Like the college transfer portal, the experience players gain from their journeys has greater value than a high school newbie.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
In what way were they historic? They were very good, consistent with some of KD's better seasons but I don't see anything that leaps out at me and they really don't appear to be much different than in his short time here. And even if they've been down a little here, his value when he plays doesn't just show up in his numbers, you can see it in Devin's numbers too.

But regardless, for most of us, it's never been about KD's performance when he plays. It's if he plays that matters. It's not an exaggeration to say that for many years now KD has missed more games than Anthony Davis. And the "if he plays" problem becomes even more of an issue when you consider that many of us feel we gave up full superstar value to get a player that hasn't delivered that kind of value in several years and likely won't for us either.
On the JJ Redick show he went into the three best shooting seasons ever, and they were all owned by KD. That's ever. His efficiency was off the charts. I saw that mentioned in other articles on the web, too.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Amazing how high the demand for a fired coach is in the NBA.
He’s a recognized tactician and strategist. I think even the best head coaches can eventually wear out their welcome with a set of players. That’s not excusing nurse losing the Toronto team, I don’t have enough insight into that. But at one point even Phil lost Kobe. And even pop couldn’t connect with kahwi or murray.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s a recognized tactician and strategist. I think even the best head coaches can eventually wear out their welcome with a set of players. That’s not excusing nurse losing the Toronto team, I don’t have enough insight into that. But at one point even Phil lost Kobe. And even pop couldn’t connect with kahwi or murray.
Teams go through cycles and sometimes just have to be shaken up.

I wonder if a new coach might be able to get something out of DA. At this point it might be worth waiting on a trade to see if there is something to be gained there.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Thought Detroit was a good fit for Monty:
After being in Phoenix weather for the last 4 years, I doubt he was jumping at the chance to be in Detroit in the winter.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He doesn't want to be part of a rebuild like Detroit and I don't blame him. They have a couple of nice players but they are still years from being a regular playoff team.

Monty values his family time and won't accept a head coach position simply because it's available.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Monty being owed something like $20 million from the Suns in salary, I can see why he wants to be selective if he returns to coaching.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think he’s just butt hurt at this point. It probably still stings to him but at least he gets paid still.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Lets be honest.. Does anyone here want to voluntary move to Detroit?

Sorry to anyone here from Detroit.. probably a reason why you’re here..

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Very fair. My dad's side of the family is all from the Detroit area and not a single one is still there. They've all moved to the Southwest. They're sprinkled here in AZ, California, and Utah. They all have the same reason for leaving too, Detroit winters.

Monty isn't in a rush to take a job. He could have had a head coaching gig before he came here. He's a bit selective and won't just take an offer to be a head coach somewhere.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've been thinking. You need to get out more.

Would you be willing to check out the interviews in Detroit, in other words, take one for the team?