Monty Williams Fired (Hired by Detroit)

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I've been frustrated with Monty for a long time, and I am happy to see the Suns move on. That said, he is a great guy, and he was exactly what the Suns needed when they hired him. He did a great job taking a crappy team and helping turn them into a very good team. I am thankful to Monty and wish him nothing but success in the future.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
Monty is a good regular season coach when he can rely on simple but well executed plays, like we saw over and over with those high pick settings. Otherwise he seems slow and stubborn when facing complications like in playoffs. The series we won were mainly due to talent and experience overmatch.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

A day later than I expected. I feel bad for him, but it's the nature of the business. Rarely does a coach get to complete the term of his contract.

Also, I realize that it's unfair to expect journalists to get basic facts right these days, because that's no longer part of the job descrption, but Williams was NBA Coach of the Year only once.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Hopefully JJ is next. Not a fan of Monty being fired without JJ. Clean the whole house rather than one room.
My only thing with JJ, is there isn't a lot of GM candidates out there as easily as the quality of coaches.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lost 4 straight against the Bucks
Epic collapse against the Mavs
Embarrassing loss against the Nuggets

It’s not that we lost it’s the way we lost. He clearly lost the team. It was time and honestly he probably should of been gone after what happened last year

1 Ty Lue
2 Nick Nurse

In that order

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let this be a reminder that winning NBA Coach of the Year is a curse of sorts. No one makes it more than 2-3 years after winning. Monty, Thibs, Nick Nurse, Bud, and Dwayne Casey all recent recipients and only Thibs is still employed by the same franchise. Mike Brown needs to watch out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like Mat Isbia will eat some money on this firing.

I think there were player communication issues which never got resolved.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose