Monty Williams Agrees to a Long Term Contract Extension

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty Williams agrees to a long term contract extension with the Suns.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an excerpt from the ESPN article.

Adrian Wojnarowski Senior NBA Insider:

Williams, who was voted the National Basketball Coach's Association's coach of the year in consecutive seasons, had two years left on his original five-year deal, and now moves under contract for several more years, sources said.

Williams' impact on the Suns' organization has been profound, including a trip to the 2021 NBA finals and a franchise-record 64 regular-season victories last season. Williams has gone 149-78 (.656) in his three seasons and delivered accountability and purpose to a wayward Suns' program, transforming a team that had won 19 games prior to his arrival into one of the league's best teams.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Here is an excerpt from the ESPN article.

Adrian Wojnarowski Senior NBA Insider:

Williams, who was voted the National Basketball Coach's Association's coach of the year in consecutive seasons, had two years left on his original five-year deal, and now moves under contract for several more years, sources said.

Williams' impact on the Suns' organization has been profound, including a trip to the 2021 NBA finals and a franchise-record 64 regular-season victories last season. Williams has gone 149-78 (.656) in his three seasons and delivered accountability and purpose to a wayward Suns' program, transforming a team that had won 19 games prior to his arrival into one of the league's best teams.

It's also interesting to see in the video of his coach of the year presentation from his team that DA leads the break at the end. He mentions "marinization". Did he mean meritization? Even the CC didn't know. After that sentence he says, "Do you understand?" No, DA. We do not.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I simply don't understand why any front office gives a coach a long-term deal. How often does it happen that a head coach decides, on his own, to leave one team for another? Almost never. Why pay a premium to keep someone who isn't leaving?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once the Suns gave James Jones a contract extension, it was inevitable they would give Monty Williams, who was Coach of the Year, an extension as well.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the right thing to do. Failing to give him a long term extension after what he's accomplished (even with the disappointments) would have undermined him going forward. I'm sure the organization protected themselves with this contract but they had to reward him or fire him IMO.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty was huge in turning this team around. I'm not down on him like others are so I'm really happy with this news. That's not to say there aren't things he needs to improve on but I'm grateful our core is locked in long-term as well our coach and GM.

4 of our 5 starters are signed for the next 3 seasons, or more, and now so is the head coach and general manager.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Williams was one of the best things to happen to this team in a long time. He is a leader of men. He is still a work in progress and he'll tell you that. It is not necessary that he has all the tools. You hire solid assistants to help out and fill in the gaps. Losing Green was a big loss that hasn't been talked about enough.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow the off-season of key az sports players coaches resigning awesome news will build even better team chemistry!

Hope cards or suns can get that main prize soon

Have to do it 420 rip to Monty staying! :)

capologist

Veteran
Reaction score
Movie reference? I slept through the 90's, throw me a fricken bone here.
Dr. Evil in the first Austin Powers film.

How did you know it was from the 90’s?

Edit: Wait a second… isn’t “throw me a fricken bone here” also from AP?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dr. Evil in the first Austin Powers film.

How did you know it was from the 90’s?

Edit: Wait a second… isn’t “throw me a fricken bone here” also from AP?
Must have been the 80's I slept through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA