MNF - Shazier tragedy - broken back?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
nasty accident... Ryan Shazier...appeared unable to move his extremities when he was carted off the field... taken to a local hospital... team mates were openly crying on the sidelines...dude could be hurt really bad...
if your the praying type...forget your team allegiance and pray for this kid tonight...
I love a rough game... love seeing dudes get knocked out... but never this..

God bless ya kid

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/12/4/16736438/ryan-shazier-injury-steelers-bengals-mnf

Last edited:

dreday

Veteran
Reaction score
It didn’t look good. Good luck Shazier. I’m hoping for the best.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was just a freak play. Shame this happened. Hope he's ok. Burfict ended up being carted off as well. Nasty game tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Steelers-Bengals is just an ugly rivalry. It’s like they’re legit trying to kill each other out there. Not even Ravens-Steelers games are like this.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
reports from the hospital appear to be positive, thank goodness, this is a violent, brutal game .

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It sure looked very bad. Hope the kid makes a full recovery.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account@RapSheet 2h2 hours ago

#Steelers LB Ryan Shazier has shown promising signs this morning. I’m told he has some movement in his lower extremities after last night’s back injury, but the next 24-48 hours are key for increased improvement.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
All due respect to the severity of this injury and the brutality of the game, but shouldn't this title be changed to something less extreme? I turned off the game and my TV last night and read this thinking either Shazier was dead, or we'd suffered another mass shooting.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Watching replays, it appears the hit was instigated by Shazier, and actually didn't seem that ferocious.

I do hope he is well and recovers completely.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Watching replays, it appears the hit was instigated by Shazier, and actually didn't seem that ferocious.

I do hope he is well and recovers completely.

He lowered his head and nailed the guy. Bad tackling technique doesn't negate the severity of the situation though.

It's hard to tell the degree of impact watching on TV.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All due respect to the severity of this injury and the brutality of the game, but shouldn't this title be changed to something less extreme? I turned off the game and my TV last night and read this thinking either Shazier was dead, or we'd suffered another mass shooting.
Got it.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
that doesn't sound good

If they're wiling to move him his spinal cord is damaged and they know the movement won't cause any more damage.

My guess is he will be in a wheelchair for the remainder of his life.

Shazier has a history of dropping his head when tackling. Having watched enough of his plays I was surprised he wasn't injured earlier in his career. He liked to use the crown of his helmet.

He had to be warned 100 times by coaches after watching tape that if he keeps it up he's gonna get paralyzed...I think it's one of those things he just did and he wasn't going to change cause he never got hurt before...so he wasn't going to listen.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
that doesn't sound good

If they're wiling to move him his spinal cord is damaged and they know the movement won't cause any more damage.

My guess is he will be in a wheelchair for the remainder of his life.

Shazier has a history of dropping his head when tackling. Having watched enough of his plays I was surprised he wasn't injured earlier in his career. He liked to use the crown of his helmet.

He had to be warned 100 times by coaches after watching tape that if he keeps it up he's gonna get paralyzed...I think it's one of those things he just did and he wasn't going to change cause he never got hurt before...so he wasn't going to listen.

I read some articles saying it is a spinal cord contusion....similar to the injury Tommy Maddox had some years back...and if that is the case he should make a full recovery...

side note.... they could also be allowing him to be moved because his spinal cord is in no danger....right?

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I read some articles saying it is a spinal cord contusion....similar to the injury Tommy Maddox had some years back...and if that is the case he should make a full recovery...

side note.... they could also be allowing him to be moved because his spinal cord is in no danger....right?
If this really isnt his first, but the most severe, he really needs to evaluate his playing future.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
He is going to be transferred to a Pittsburgh hospital in the next 24-48 hours. According to NFL Live.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

********... put my title back

trag·e·dy
ˈtrajədē/
noun
  1. 1.
    an event causing great suffering, destruction, and distress, such as a serious accident, crime, or natural catastrophe.
    "a tragedy that killed 95 people"
    synonyms: disaster, calamity, catastrophe, cataclysm, misfortune, mishap, blow, trial, tribulation, affliction, adversity
    "the flood was the worst tragedy in the city's history"
  2. 2.
    a play dealing with tragic events and having an unhappy ending, especially one concerning the downfall of the main character.
    synonyms: disaster, calamity, catastrophe, cataclysm, misfortune, mishap, blow, trial, tribulation, affliction, adversity
the event was indeed a tragedy and the title was aptly worded... someone elses lack of understanding for the english language is zero reason to alter my thread title.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
His window for any and all nerve regeneration ends in about 5 hours from now. Hopefully they've done a miracle with him.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

trag·e·dy
ˈtrajədē/
noun
  1. 1.
    an event causing great suffering, destruction, and distress, such as a serious accident, crime, or natural catastrophe.
  2. 2.
    a play dealing with tragic events and having an unhappy ending, especially one concerning the downfall of the main character.
the event was indeed a tragedy and the title was aptly worded... someone elses lack of understanding for the english language is zero reason to alter my thread title.

Got it.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

trag·e·dy
ˈtrajədē/
noun
  1. 1.
  2. 2.

It's not that I don't understand the English (you should capitalize that) language, it's that your diction was extreme. He didn't die and doesn't even need surgery, although his career may be in jeopardy. That's an "accident," or an "injury," or "brutality," at least until it's affecting someone in a catastrophic way.