MMQB - Peter Kind has us as one of the top 5

BigShtank

The heat dun frieded my brain
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/04/27/mmqb.draft/index.html

4. Arizona. Value City. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, picked at 16, was the top-rated corner on the draft boards of two very smart personnel guys who I know. Calais Campbell (50) was taken to reproduce the pass-rush flash of Calvin Pace, and Early Doucet (81) lasted waaaaay too long after a starry career but groin-ravaged senior year at LSU. Could the Cards deal Anquan Boldin to Washington or Dallas this summer? (Well, not Washington anymore, not with the 'Skins drafting Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly.) Stay tuned.

No more speculation on dealing Q please. Doucet compliments the receiver core and no way Q gets dealt. Q is under contract and it'd be hard to imagine us trading him to Dallas or even needing to. Dallas didn't take a good enough back for us to trade with so they don't have any bargaining power unless they give up their #1, 2 and 3 picks in next years draft, then maybe.

EDIT, I meant King, not Kind. Dangit.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Look I know everyone hates the idea of trading Boldin, but lets not put it out there into the "Absolutly no way it would happen" or "The Cards would be stupid to do it" camps.

Fact is the NFL is a business and investing 40 million over 4 years in Fitz was the sign to Boldin (like or not) that the team already invested its wr money in Fitz.

You really think 2 wr's eating up 80 million in cap space is a great idea for this team? The people who think Boldin will take less than Fitz are mistaken. Rosenhaus and Boldin want Fizt money and I for one dont think it is wise to give 2 wr's that type of cash. Especially since Dansby is not signed, Wilson and Dockett appear to want new contracts.

I hate the thought of losing Boldin, but if the price is right I am for it and so will Graves. He just doesnt want to be the bad guy in all this so he is gonna let this play out until Boldin either holds out or Rosenhaus starts chirping to the media about how his guy wants to be traded. I full expect this time next year for Boldin to be gone!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Look I know everyone hates the idea of trading Boldin, but lets not put it out there into the "Absolutly no way it would happen" or "The Cards would be stupid to do it" camps.

Fact is the NFL is a business and investing 40 million over 4 years in Fitz was the sign to Boldin (like or not) that the team already invested its wr money in Fitz.

You really think 2 wr's eating up 80 million in cap space is a great idea for this team? The people who think Boldin will take less than Fitz are mistaken. Rosenhaus and Boldin want Fizt money and I for one dont think it is wise to give 2 wr's that type of cash. Especially since Dansby is not signed, Wilson and Dockett appear to want new contracts.

I hate the thought of losing Boldin, but if the price is right I am for it and so will Graves. He just doesnt want to be the bad guy in all this so he is gonna let this play out until Boldin either holds out or Rosenhaus starts chirping to the media about how his guy wants to be traded. I full expect this time next year for Boldin to be gone!

I think we'd be stupid to trade Boldin at the moment; we don't have enough depth at the position. Next year, if his demands are too much? Revisit, IMO.

Btw, King should never, ever be allowed to say 'groin-ravaged' again. Yikes! lol

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Even if Cards did the inexusable action of trading Boldin, why would they trade him to an NFC team they would need to beat to have a chance at a SB? Its total nonsense.

OP
OP
B

BigShtank

Reaction score

I know he might be gone next year, but I'm hoping not this year. I know re-negotiating a contract with him will be next to impossible to do given Cap concerns. It is possible to do though. We could put most of the money into a big fat signing bonus. Edge will be gone next year, so will Shipp and we can use that money towards Boldin. 8.4 mill can go a long way towards keeping that core happy for a couple more years.

I just don't want to hear Dallas being the one to get him. I'd :bang: to a bloody pulp if we traded him to Dallas. I just don't think the Cards trade him this year with a rookie and a 2nd year guy as your #2 and #3 guys.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Q has almost no options and frankly the only one he does have is so out of character as I can't imagine him doing it.

Why do you think it is impossible for us to renegotiate with him ?

OP
OP
B

BigShtank

Reaction score
Drew is asking for the trade, not Q as far as I know or heard. Correct me if I am wrong though. Q is a standup guy and when push comes to shove, he'll suit up for the Cards and play his @$$ off this year once again. Graves and the Cards will try to find a common ground but in the end, if a deal can't get done, then you trade him for some picks in next years draft, but he stays here this year. Dallas doesn't have a back we want, and we aren't really all that thin at other positions where we need to trade a top WR for another position. Maybe we can trade Q to Cinci for Chad Johnson and a #2 pick. They are desperate to get rid of him.

pogoowner

Reaction score
I hate Peter King.
So do I. He often tries to make bold statements on various subjects even though he clearly does not delve deeply enough into the issue to know what he's talking about. This tends to make him look like an ass quite frequently.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Peter King must have gotten some last time he was in Phoenix. He never praises us for anything!

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Drew is asking for the trade, not Q as far as I know or heard. Correct me if I am wrong though. Q is a standup guy and when push comes to shove, he'll suit up for the Cards and play his @$$ off this year once again. Graves and the Cards will try to find a common ground but in the end, if a deal can't get done, then you trade him for some picks in next years draft, but he stays here this year. Dallas doesn't have a back we want, and we aren't really all that thin at other positions where we need to trade a top WR for another position. Maybe we can trade Q to Cinci for Chad Johnson and a #2 pick. They are desperate to get rid of him.

Come on. You really think Rosenhaus is pulling the trade card w/o Quan either knowing it or endorsing it? If Rosenhaus did that w/o Quan's knowledge and blessing thats grounds for disbarement from the NFL as an agent.

I dont want him to be traded, but I also dont want to invest multi tens of millions of dollars into the WR position. I expect him to be gone after this year.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd almost rather read people rip on us than see yet another "A" or "Winners" label attached to our draft. Hell, if draft grades were wins, we'd be a perennial playoff team.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
Come on. You really think Rosenhaus is pulling the trade card w/o Quan either knowing it or endorsing it? If Rosenhaus did that w/o Quan's knowledge and blessing thats grounds for disbarement from the NFL as an agent.

I completely agree with this. To argue that Boldin isn't on the hook for Rosenhaus' comments is to argue he is essentially a moron. He agent represents him. Legally, Rosenhaus' words are Boldin's words. Rosenhaus was all over the draft shows saying that Boldin wants a trade, is unhappy here, wants to play for someone else, etc. I am giving Boldin enough credit to assume he is smart enough and strong enough to stand up to his agent if Rosenhaus is spouting lies about him on national TV. Until then, Boldin is on the books saying he wants out. It makes it a much easier case for me if we can work it out to improve our team and part ways with him.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I dont want him to be traded, but I also dont want to invest multi tens of millions of dollars into the WR position. I expect him to be gone after this year.

Don't we have quotes from Whiz and RG that Q hasn't asked for a trade? Our only info is from the crazed media that loves to generate headlines.

I for one wanted to slap several talking heads that kept calling Q one of the WR Diva's looking for a trade. In my mind Q isn't a Diva until he starts acting like C Johnson or TO. Even if Q does come out and say he would like to be traded if he can't be fairly compensated he wouldn't be the first or last NFL player to do so. In many cases it's just part of the bargaining process. When he starts whining like C Johnson is when I will go on a rampage.

Agents will whisper into reporters ears many things that are meant to stir the pot without being quotable. I require a link to a quote of Drew or Q saying he wants to be traded before I start to get concerned.

As someone else posted every team has a budgeted amount for Core/Super Star players on their team. If 2 happen to be at WR so be it. Now if Whiz does want a Smash mouth running attack and top notch defense then tying that much money up at the WR position may become an issue. At this point and time it isn't, IMHO.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Don't we have quotes from Whiz and RG that Q hasn't asked for a trade? Our only info is from the crazed media that loves to generate headlines.

I for one wanted to slap several talking heads that kept calling Q one of the WR Diva's looking for a trade. In my mind Q isn't a Diva until he starts acting like C Johnson or TO. Even if Q does come out and say he would like to be traded if he can't be fairly compensated he wouldn't be the first or last NFL player to do so. In many cases it's just part of the bargaining process. When he starts whining like C Johnson is when I will go on a rampage.

Agents will whisper into reporters ears many things that are meant to stir the pot without being quotable. I require a link to a quote of Drew or Q saying he wants to be traded before I start to get concerned.

As someone else posted every team has a budgeted amount for Core/Super Star players on their team. If 2 happen to be at WR so be it. Now if Whiz does want a Smash mouth running attack and top notch defense then tying that much money up at the WR position may become an issue. At this point and time it isn't, IMHO.

No one is suggesting Q is a "Diva" or doesnt deserve more money. But I earnestly think the option of a trade is ok with him. In fact, more than OK. I just think it is not realistic for people to believe Quan isnt behind Rosenhaus 100% when he states that his client wants to begin seeking a trade.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Absolutely correct John! However I do expect quan to be here at least 2 more years. he has three years on his contract. No need to wory about unloading him till year two out of three at a minimum. No matter how much they complain they arent going to sit out and miss the game checks.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Absolutely correct John! However I do expect quan to be here at least 2 more years. he has three years on his contract. No need to wory about unloading him till year two out of three at a minimum. No matter how much they complain they arent going to sit out and miss the game checks.

I will agree with that. I am not concerned unless he does become disgruntled and starts sitting out camps and OTA's. To this point, Boldin has never been the type of player to do that to force managements hand, so I dont expect him to start now.

Lets hope something can be worked out so he stays a Card a long time.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No one is suggesting Q is a "Diva" or doesnt deserve more money. But I earnestly think the option of a trade is ok with him. In fact, more than OK. I just think it is not realistic for people to believe Quan isnt behind Rosenhaus 100% when he states that his client wants to begin seeking a trade.

I did not intend to imply you were calling Q a "Diva". Just making a point about how the media is trying to create a story with Pop.

Q may be okay with a trade but I highly doubt that's the case.

Again I need a link to a quote from Drew and or Q to believe this isn't more hype then substance.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

To much talk going on about trading Boldin for there not to be some possibility. Draft a WR adds to that. Add to that the $$$ problem and there is plenty of reason this could happen. I am not saying it will but I would in no way be shocked. I just do not see the Cards paying both Fitz and Boldin the big $$$. We would probably have the two highest paid combo receivers in the NL and no proven running game and no proven QB. That makes no sense at all. In fact it may make some sense.