MLS All Stars vs Manchester United FC

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
2-0 @ halftime.

Machedas goal was off a foolish mistake by (Kevin Alston?)

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Dude.... No Rio... No Rooney... No Berbatov.... And the MLS still gets bitch slapped all over the field.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ugh, I know everyone thinks it's a "great night," but geez did the reputation of the MLS take a huge hit or what? Exactly what I expected it to be though--the MLS team couldn't string together more than 3 passes in a possession. Embarassing.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My fav part was when they interviewed Landon Donovan after the game... The reporter asked him what he thought about having the loudest ovation after Chicharito. :p

But yeah, pretty bad showing for the MLS, especially because some of the goals could've been easily prevented. Hopefully next season, they'll get a boost from Rafa Marquez, Thierry Henry, Nery Castillo, and any other talented guys.

Soccer is definitely on the rise in the USA though. A lot of people were rooting for the MLS.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not a fair game at all. All-stars are not a team and in soccer chemistry is everything. To pit a team against a bunch of individuals is not entertaining or fair.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh, I know everyone thinks it's a "great night," but geez did the reputation of the MLS take a huge hit or what? Exactly what I expected it to be though--the MLS team couldn't string together more than 3 passes in a possession. Embarassing.
Typical, sounds like most MLS games. ;)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'm glad I missed it. It was my wifes birthday and I was out of town...sounds luke it was UGLY.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Chivas 3 ManU 2

MLS is getting bigger names every year.. .but the talent simply isn't there.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A little harsh, especially when talking about pre-season friendlies. So Kansas are better than man u because they won?
A team that has been thrown together for one game will never play as well as one that trains week in week out.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
A little harsh, especially when talking about pre-season friendlies. So Kansas are better than man u because they won?
A team that has been thrown together for one game will never play as well as one that trains week in week out.

That's just it. It's not just the MLS All-Stars that can't string passes together. It's all MLS teams. The All-Stars just showcased it.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's just it. It's not just the MLS All-Stars that can't string passes together. It's all MLS teams. The All-Stars just showcased it.

Agree. Why is this the case? It seems like the US players have been playing long enough, shouldnt they be able to string passes together?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Agree. Why is this the case? It seems like the US players have been playing long enough, shouldnt they be able to string passes together?

Yeah, they should. Honestly, I think you really have to look at coaching. We just haven't had the kind of coaching that inspires changes of philosophy. Never mind the way kids are coached at a young age--I just can't understand how any US coach can look at the way Spain or Brazil play and NOT say, "hey, let's try that!" Doesn't make much sense to me.

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
I just can't understand how any US coach can look at the way Spain or Brazil play and NOT say, "hey, let's try that!" Doesn't make much sense to me.

It doesn't make sense because your not a coach... I would LOVE to play like Spain or Brazil... but last time I checked I didn't have a Kaka or Villa on my squad... as a coach you play the system to suit the talent you currently have not the talent you wish you had...

We are not going to see the youth of today for many years to come but the talent at the US youth level is really getting better and better....

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't make sense because your not a coach... I would LOVE to play like Spain or Brazil... but last time I checked I didn't have a Kaka or Villa on my squad... as a coach you play the system to suit the talent you currently have not the talent you wish you had...

We are not going to see the youth of today for many years to come but the talent at the US youth level is really getting better and better....
I have been hearing that a long time. Stringing together passes (and giving up easy early goals in World Cups) should be something a coach can address.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Just learning basic passing schemes and ability to move without the ball is something Americans can't do?

If you think Americans are incapable of such play, that's fine, but mocking and insulting probably isn't the way to express that opinion.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Spacing?

I think the biggest issue is that MLS seems that to pass, you keep the ball off of the ground and go for the long pass. Short, crisp passes to slowly move the ball and keep possession, a la Spain, should be the model for passing. It isn't.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coaches from Spain were here last month teaching the Arizona Barcelona clubs. They could barely stomach watching the 14 year olds in passing drills, but were dazzled by the 8 and 10 year olds (especially the girls, but the boys, too). The teens were severely challenged by several passing drills Barcelona considers to be elementary, but the kiddies have been doing this for over a year now and some are excelling far beyond their age.

I'm told this is happening around the country. A lot of our training practices are being tossed for European training, but the impact is going to take another generation before we see it come to fruition.