MJ/Bulls 10-part Docuseries

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Trailer looks amazing but 2020? Talk about a GoT type tease.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Lived up to the hype thru two episodes. The film access they granted that series is pretty crazy.

Pippen was underpaid and had a right to be upset but he comes off looking terrible so far.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the first two episodes were a good base, table-setting type episodes but I'm hoping it gets a lot juicier if there's another 8 hours of it... and from I hear it will. definitely a good way to kill two hours each sunday and reminisce about the past.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dooooooont Caaaaare

Ruined my childhood. Never worn a pair of Jordan’s to this day. I remember 5th grade like it was yesterday.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I went down a rabbit hole due to this series and found this nugget I'd never heard before.

"The day before game 4 of the Bulls Suns finals with the Bulls leading the series 2-1. Michael and Charles Barkley went golfing. They played 48 holes of golf. And Michael bought Charles a $20,000 diamond earring. Johnny asked MJ, “what did you do all that for?” Michael responded, “he won’t get in my way the rest of the series, what’s $20,000 to me? Charles thinks we’re great friends. I hate that fat f—.” Jordan dropped 55 in game 4 and Barkley never touched him once."

Ugh.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I went down a rabbit hole due to this series and found this nugget I'd never heard before.

"The day before game 4 of the Bulls Suns finals with the Bulls leading the series 2-1. Michael and Charles Barkley went golfing. They played 48 holes of golf. And Michael bought Charles a $20,000 diamond earring. Johnny asked MJ, “what did you do all that for?” Michael responded, “he won’t get in my way the rest of the series, what’s $20,000 to me? Charles thinks we’re great friends. I hate that fat f—.” Jordan dropped 55 in game 4 and Barkley never touched him once."

Ugh.
If that's true--and we fans certainly don't know--it's not good news. Idol
worship. Especially with MJ giving Barkley a $20,000 diamond earring.

I did not like hearing at the time that they played 48 holes of golf during
the series. Barkley trying to share some of MJ's spotlight. And Michael
setting him for a potential guilt trip if The Chuckster got in the way of
the Bulls.

The one line I question is about Chuck not touching MJ on defense.

Barkley was a Power Forward and MJ a Guard.

Why would he be expected to "touch him" on most of his 55 points
and leave the Power Forwards free?

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really well put together docuseries. I went into the second one. It has been touted that Krause had issues with his ego, and now watching the first two, yeah he had that little man syndrome.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ugh.

what’s the source on that? I mean it’s been almost 30 years and I’ve never even heard of that story and I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one.

Mike averaged 41/8/6 on 50% from the field and 40% from 3 its the greatest player in the history of the sport in his prime. We were never going to win

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
what’s the source on that? I mean it’s been almost 30 years and I’ve never even heard of that story and I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one.

Mike averaged 41/8/6 on 50% from the field and 40% from 3 its the greatest player in the history of the sport in his prime. We were never going to win

Not to mention those teams were missing something back then. Swept at home in the finals then choked twice vs a less talented Rockets team. Maybe it was coaching but they weren’t the mentally toughest bunch in terms of closing.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not to mention those teams were missing something back then. Swept at home in the finals then choked twice vs a less talented Rockets team. Maybe it was coaching but they weren’t the mentally toughest bunch in terms of closing.

Paul Westphal was a horrible coach. Just roll the ball out and play type. There’s a reason his career only lasted about those 3 years

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
A great scorer and clutch player. And ambidextrous.

With a likable personality. He sat in on some pre- or
post-game Suns TV shows recently.

Watching those clips he looks like a poor man’s Jerry West. I don’t remember anything about Charlie Scott but that seemed like a W for us.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just started watching this on Sunday, I've seen the first 2 episodes. Really really good. Pretty stunning how candid everyone is in their interviews.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I saw you link this a week or so ago, I figured that T-Mac was talking out his ass, just trying to get on a current media hype train... there is no freaking way that the Bulls would have traded Pippen in 1997/98 for a rookie McGrady. Now, after watching just the first few episodes... oh yeah, seems totally believable now.

If it is true, I don't blame Jordan either. He is trying to win titles, the 98 title would have been a virtual impossibility with an 18 year old Tracy McGrady who could hardly find his way on the court on a terrible Raptors team.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'll try to find a reputable source but I think that's one of those NBA legends that gets told often and is believed despite no hard evidence existing. The most compelling evidence there is would likely be that Barkley has never commented on it, which doesn't make it true but is enough for certain crowds.

I've heard a variation of that story for close to 20 years now. I don't recall it being that many holes of golf, or the "I hate that fat f***" line but I do recall hearing about Jordan purposefully taking Barkley out on the town all night after a day of golf to wear him down.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll try to find a reputable source but I think that's one of those NBA legends that gets told often and is believed despite no hard evidence existing. The most compelling evidence there is would likely be that Barkley has never commented on it, which doesn't make it true but is enough for certain crowds.

I've heard a variation of that story for close to 20 years now. I don't recall it being that many holes of golf, or the "I hate that fat f***" line but I do recall hearing about Jordan purposefully taking Barkley out on the town all night after a day of golf to wear him down.

that’s not unusual. Not the taking guys out to get in there head or wear them down but players often go out with each other before or after games.

it’s fans who blow that stuff up. Most of these guys have known each other since they were teenagers. It’s fans who want them to hate each other.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I saw you link this a week or so ago, I figured that T-Mac was talking out his ass, just trying to get on a current media hype train... there is no freaking way that the Bulls would have traded Pippen in 1997/98 for a rookie McGrady. Now, after watching just the first few episodes... oh yeah, seems totally believable now.

If it is true, I don't blame Jordan either. He is trying to win titles, the 98 title would have been a virtual impossibility with an 18 year old Tracy McGrady who could hardly find his way on the court on a terrible Raptors team.

Jordan would have ruined a rookie McGrady. Drove him into the ground

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Hoop Head

The comments may have come from one of the three books mentioned in the linked article below. I'm not sure as I haven't had time to research the books.

The 2011 article contains an excerpt which mentions Barkley and Jordon golfing in the finals. As of yet, I haven't been able to trace the excerpt back to a specific source.

This is where the article mentions the books:

But there are a few specific books that I could read over and over… and every one of them has to do with the Chicago Bulls and more specifically, Michael Jordan. I can literally read one, and the moment I turn that final page to finish, I can go back to the beginning and start all over again. “The Jordan Rules”. “Playing For Keeps”. “Second Coming”.

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/unbullievable/

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@Hoop Head

The comments may have come from one of the three books mentioned in the linked article below. I'm not sure as I haven't had time to research the books.

The 2011 article contains an excerpt which mentions Barkley and Jordon golfing in the finals. As of yet, I haven't been able to trace the excerpt back to a specific source.

This is where the article mentions the books:

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/unbullievable/

Is all of this completely verified? No. Is it true? Who knows. Could it be? Absolutely. Does it matter one way or another? Not really,

Lol.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing like a caveat at the end of the article.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson