Miller once again does it again!

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

TJ

Reaction score
Gershon and Sheer put their crystal ball picks in for Puff Johnson after the Suns drafted his brother lol.

That’s awesome. At least there’s some benefit to Jones’ idiocy

TJ

Reaction score
Barcello left. Logical as to why, but it was stated that he was happy at Arizona.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So now Doutrive says he's staying and it was just a misunderstanding? Weird, his mentor publicly announced he was leaving in May. Sounds like the 2 guys who left since convinced him to stay.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
So now Doutrive says he's staying and it was just a misunderstanding? Weird, his mentor publicly announced he was leaving in May. Sounds like the 2 guys who left since convinced him to stay.

Too much drama with transfers coming in and original recruits leaving. It’s not a good look but it’s a cutthroat business.

TJ

Reaction score
Is there a link to this? Because that is not accurate
Can’t link VIP message board posts, but I double checked. Both Gershon and Scheer indicated that he had a lot of work to do academically to qualify and he didn’t want to put in the work.

TJ

Reaction score
LOL Dave Heeke is such a joke. He admitted that he didn’t know about a potential violation involving Phelps. Of course we knew nothing happened when Shareef was cleared. Either Heeke lied to try to get Miller fired or he’s an idiot.

Phelps’ lawyer’s statement proves this:

On Monday May 20, 2019, a “termination hearing” was held on the campus of the University of Arizona. The University of Arizona called three witnesses: Director of Athletics Dave Heeke, Senior Associate Director of Athletics Krystal Swindlehurst and Associate Athletics Director Brent Blaylock. Coach Phelps was represented by counsel, Don M. Jackson of The Sports Group and the University was represented by in house Counsel.

In sworn testimony, Director of Athletics Heeke admitted that he had no knowledge of NCAA violations by Coach Phelps, acknowledged he had no record of written communications with NCAA staff and had engaged in no oral communications with NCAA staff regarding Coach Phelps. Associate Athletics Director Blaylock provided no evidence of any violation other than a previously self-reported violation (by Coach Phelps) for which he already served a short suspension. Senior Associate Athletics Director Swindlehurst implied that Coach Phelps was terminated due to a personality conflict but, like Heeke and Blaylock, failed to specify either a violation of University policy or NCAA legislation. All University witnesses failed to specify violations of either NCAA legislation or University policy (when questioned about the bases for Phelps’ termination). Blaylock simply stated that Phelps could just find another job when he was questioned about the impact of a wrongful termination (on Phelps’ coaching career).

The actions of University of Arizona representatives, particularly Athletics Director Heeke amount to defamation. The written accusations made (by Heeke) in Phelps’ notice of termination were calculated, malicious and false. No evidence was offered during the hearing to support the allegations and Heeke acknowledged that he had no evidence to support his allegations On several occasions, representatives of the NCAA Enforcement Staff have notified counsel for Coach Phelps (in writing) that they have no evidence of violations by Coach Phelps. Notably, Swindlehurst stated (during the hearing) that one of the bases for Coach Phelps’ termination was his absence of social skills. Blaylock stated that Phelps could simply find another job.

Coach Phelps’ termination hearing was memorialized by a court reporter. To date, the hearing officer has made no formal findings. Coach Phelps' contract expires on June 30, 2019.

Coach Phelps’ conduct was in strict compliance with NCAA legislation. Notably, he engaged in daily (written) interaction with UA’s Compliance Staff over issues pertaining to every potential recruit. This evidence was provided to the Hearing Officer, representatives of the NCAA and counsel for the University of Arizona.

In short, the University of Arizona’s “termination hearing" was a pre-textual effort to garner potentially reduced penalties for anticipated NCAA infractions unrelated to Coach Phelps. As a direct result of the defamatory statements by University of Arizona representatives, Coach Phelps has been rendered virtually unemployable in collegiate basketball despite the fact that no specific violations of NCAA legislation or institutional policy were alleged, much less proven, against him.

TJ

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Would you look at that.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Miller gets another top player from the Phoenix area. I wonder why the top in-state recruits stay away from ASU?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t been following recruiting as closely but Compton Magic?

You must be registered for see images attach

He's from Arizona but yeah it's interesting that USC didn't get more involved given right now they seem to have the Magic pipeline.

Good get, very good prospect, good athlete, plays hard.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He's from Arizona but yeah it's interesting that USC didn't get more involved given right now they seem to have the Magic pipeline.

Good get, very good prospect, good athlete, plays hard.

The kinda stuff you hear about Gabe York and the reasons why Miller and the Magic had issues is enough to make you want to quit following recruiting all together. It seems like Miller hiring overly positive young and hungry assistants is working out well. He needed to change the archetype of his staff (granted one of them getting arrested) and the other being Pasternak who I always thought was a weasel screaming at opposing players. Ironically the one good guy in Phelps got done dirty.

It definitely seems like recruits aren’t expecting major sanctions or that they just don’t care.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The kinda stuff you hear about Gabe York and the reasons why Miller and the Magic had issues is enough to make you want to quit following recruiting all together. It seems like Miller hiring overly positive young and hungry assistants is working out well. He needed to change the archetype of his staff (granted one of them getting arrested) and the other being Pasternak who I always thought was a weasel screaming at opposing players. Ironically the one good guy in Phelps got done dirty.

It definitely seems like recruits aren’t expecting major sanctions or that they just don’t care.

IF you saw that documentary on PJC and York it was largely York and his circle of people believing he didn't get a fair shake earlier in his career at UA. Honestly I was surprised Miller stayed with Gabe as long as he did, he wound up having a much better last year than I thought possible, early on his defense made him almost unplayable. But yeah Etop was clearly mad about his lack of PT.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My guess is it's more related to Ziaire Williams. Everyone thought he was going to UNC and Puff to UA and then the mom apparently got involved and said she wants him at Stanford. So now she's for Stanford, dad is for UNC or USC and we're even being told they're monitoring how UCLA looks this year as a possible compromise for the parents. I think that pushed UNC to put the full court press on Puff Johnson.

I don't even remotely expect Williams to go to UCLA I think it's Stanford or USC with an outside shot he just winds up going to UNC anyways, but my guess is that's why Puff is suddenly expected to go to UNC.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose