Miller once again does it again!

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
That step is true of several of these kids though. One of the reasons Ferguson never signed with Alabama is he wasn't NCAA qualified and Bama doesn't let kids who aren't sign an NLI. His coach is saying he'll qualify now.

And Alkins is no lock either he was academically ineligible virtually his entire freshman year and part of his junior year and his HS coach said he nearly had to repeat 8th grade because his family moved to Florida during the season and he had all sorts of issues in the Florida school.

But as I keep saying, these days only foreign kids like Diallo wind up missing any time due to academics, the NCAA always winds up looking the other way and approving the US kids so I'm sure Ferguson and ALkins will both qualify.

There's also some talk that Markkanen is draft eligible and if he plays well enough at the Hoop Summit he might do a Nowitzki and turn pro, but I doubt it. Dirk was much better known he was a guaranteed high pick, don't think Lauri is yet but after a year in college could be.

Arizona feels Alkins will qualify despite all the reservations that he won't.

Markk is scheduled to come to Arizona May 11th, so I doubt he's even considering the pros at the moment.

TJ

Reaction score
Supposedly that rumor came from Jerry Meyer and I was told the PGU guys are insisting he's still telling Arizona he's coming to Arizona.

MSU makes sense his girlfriend is at michigan next year her sister at MSU. But the rationale for the mom wanting him at KU makes no sense. Meyer said that the mom is afraid he'll get in trouble back home around all his friends, just a few months ago the reason everyone started saying MSU was allegedly the mom wanted him home. So unless she means I don't want him near his girlfriend, what changed?

I think PGU deleted the tweet in which he guaranteed JJ to UofA, which is a sign that they're not as confident about the recruitment as they once were. They don't issue mea culpas, they just throw every other media outlet under the bus.

Scout guys are saying that the entire JJ team has gone quiet and that any information that's available one way or the other is fabricated. Jerry Meyer, who's usually pretty reliable, really dropped the ball on this one.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona feels Alkins will qualify despite all the reservations that he won't.

Markk is scheduled to come to Arizona May 11th, so I doubt he's even considering the pros at the moment.

Oh I doubt he is but Dirk Nowitzki was going to Cal too right up until he blew up at the Hoop Summit and all the NBA scouts told him to enter the draft.

I haven't seen Lauri play in person from the videos he looks good but he doesn't look Dirk Nowitzki at that age good yet so I doubt that's going to be an issue.

I hadn't realized he's draft eligible but he is.

I've gotten to the point where I assume all kids in the US will qualify, the only ones that don't anymore are foreign kids. And I don't mean foreign born I mean foreign kids that haven't been the US for more than a year or two. That is if Skal were still overseas I don't think he qualifies for UK but he was in the US for several years so he did.

The Diallo case to me made it really clear the NCAA view on the foreign kids is assume they're not eligible and work backwards.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think PGU deleted the tweet in which he guaranteed JJ to UofA, which is a sign that they're not as confident about the recruitment as they once were. They don't issue mea culpas, they just throw every other media outlet under the bus.

Scout guys are saying that the entire JJ team has gone quiet and that any information that's available one way or the other is fabricated. Jerry Meyer, who's usually pretty reliable, really dropped the ball on this one.

INteresting.

He's the best player in the class whichever school he picks, if he actually plays there, he's going to be a huge difference maker. With him UA is immediately the favorite in the Pac 12, without him I would say probably Oregon unless Boucher turns pro.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to a blurb I found the entire reason people thought JJ was committing last night was he was in Kansas. Of course he was in Kansas because his team is in some tournament, clearly he didn't go to Kansas to commit in person given Bill Self wasn't in kansas last night.

Internet rumors are great sometimes.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whole situation is odd. Scout guys shot Meyer's rumor down fairly quickly.

Who knows? Maybe he pulls a fast one and commits to Coastal Carolina.

Yet this situation allowed many people who have no clue to knee jerk that his mom was forcing him to go somewhere he didn't want to play and that Bill Self was dirty and bought Jackson.

This stuff makes people suck, but then they are just repeating what they heard, right?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yet this situation allowed many people who have no clue to knee jerk that his mom was forcing him to go somewhere he didn't want to play and that Bill Self was dirty and bought Jackson.

This stuff makes people suck, but then they are just repeating what they heard, right?

Now the report says he's announcing at the McD's game.

I wonder what happens first Josh announces, or Tony Parker's announcement press conference ends.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The biggest scam out there is paying for premium info on scouting sites. Those knuckleheads are hardly ever right. What's the point of paying for bad intel? Again, as I always say, nothing is clear cut with 18 year olds. They change their minds every day.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No one knows what Jackson is going to do. I will be extremely happy if Miller could get at least Jackson or Ferguson, that would then be a top-5 class. By the way, here is what a Michigan writer tweeted:

Charles Robinson✔
‎@CharlesRobinson
@SethTrezise Depends who is making the decision. If it's the kid, KU. If it's his mom, Arizona.
12:31 PM - 25 Mar 2016

Last edited:

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No one knows what Jackson is going to do. I will be extremely happy if Miller could get at least Jackson or Ferguson, that would then be a top-5 class. By the way, here is what a Michigan writer tweeted:

Charles Robinson✔
‎@CharlesRobinson
@SethTrezise Depends who is making the decision. If it's the kid, KU. If it's his mom, Arizona.

Cause I'm sure Charles Robinson knows the Jackson family intimately, right Lefty?

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cause I'm sure Charles Robinson knows the Jackson family intimately, right Lefty?

If you read my first sentence, I wrote no one knows what Jackson is going to do. Robinson says Jackson wants to go to Kansas and his mom wants Arizona, meanwhile TJ in an earlier post wrote Jackson wants to go to MSU while mom wants Kansas. No one knows and this is what I was getting at. How would I know if Robinson knows JJ?

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you read my first sentence, I wrote no one knows what Jackson is going to do. Robinson says Jackson wants to go to Kansas and his mom wants Arizona, meanwhile TJ in an earlier post wrote Jackson wants to go to MSU while mom wants Kansas. No one knows and this is what I was getting at. How would I know if Robinson knows JJ?

Sorry, I misread that and misinterpreted what you were implying. My bad.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it really hard to root for college hoops with so many one and dones.

Used to love AZ hoops, but now I don't give a rat's ass.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Charles Robinson✔
‎@CharlesRobinson

This is getting crazy. Josh Jackson isn't going somewhere he doesn't want to be.

TJ

Reaction score

You know when a recruit and his circle go rogue when there are multiple conflicting reports swirling around. Most credible sources have gone quiet, at this point.

Likely, this is going down to the wire.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know when a recruit and his circle go rogue when there are multiple conflicting reports swirling around. Most credible sources have gone quiet, at this point.

Likely, this is going down to the wire.

Depends what yuo mean by rogue. If you mean getting something my guess is he's been getting something for ages now like virtually all of these kids.

I think he's doing what Bazz did where he knew but wanted to keep people talking. In this case I think it's the mom not the kid. I have read repeatedly he told Miller he's going to Arizona, the kids committed to MSU have been told he's going there, and Kansas suddenly seems very confident since his mom apparently posted something on Twitter implying she would live in Lawrence if he goes to KU, which is why the MSU fans were claiming Kansas bought him.

I think he knows, but wants to keep everyone guessing as long as he can.

For me when I think of a recruitment going rogue it usually means when a kid starts adding in schools late in the recruitment, but that happens more and more these days because the kids are recruiting each other now.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first shoe drops, Justin Simon transferring out as rumored. Pitts is thought to be leaving and it's alleged that if Ferguson commits as expected this week, PJC will leave too. The more wings UA signs the more likely Kobi Simmons plays PG and that means PJC doesn't start so he would consider leaving.

Fascinating offseason, could lose 6 or 7 guys, could have a monster incoming class.

Interesting to watch.

TJ

Reaction score
PJC is expected to return. As is Ristic, for those who thought he was going pro in Europe.

Simon needs the transfer year to grasp the college game. I think the 5-star status got to him and he expected to be an instant contributor. Dude is a typical 3-4 year project, who'll do very well if he stays patient.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The first shoe drops, Justin Simon transferring out as rumored. Pitts is thought to be leaving and it's alleged that if Ferguson commits as expected this week, PJC will leave too. The more wings UA signs the more likely Kobi Simmons plays PG and that means PJC doesn't start so he would consider leaving.

Fascinating offseason, could lose 6 or 7 guys, could have a monster incoming class.

Interesting to watch.

The kids transferring out didn't quite fit in or develop as Miller expected so he has to start over and hope the incoming recruits fare better next year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The kids transferring out didn't quite fit in or develop as Miller expected so he has to start over and hope the incoming recruits fare better next year.

Yeah I never got the Simon hype said it hear when he committed. UCLA was on him after Dorsey verballed to Arizona and as soon as I saw Simon actually play in a televised event I was amazed he was so highly touted. EVeryone had him as a PG and he's not even a guard he's a 3 and he can't shoot. Great athlete has a chance to eventually be good but he wasn't going to play with Ferguson likely coming in and Smith coming back from injury.

PJC staying would be good, Simmons is a great athlete but he's not a PG he's a shoot first 2 who's so athletic he can play the 1 in HS. UA would do well to have PJC and Allen around in case they decide to just play Simmons at the 2.

KU fans think they're getting JJ, UA fans think they are getting JJ, and MSU fans are spreading a rumor the NCAA has warned both KU and UA if they get him and the move moves there the NCAA will look at the living arrangements and job very closely. Which sounds to me like MSu fans don't think they're getting him.

My guess is UA loses at least 6 because I think Pitts is gone. Could be a monster class and talented kids coming back but that's a lot of new players to fit in at one time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess if that vine post isn't a cruel joke Jackson is saying he's going to Arizona?

TJ

Reaction score
I guess if that vine post isn't a cruel joke Jackson is saying he's going to Arizona?

Wouldn't look too much into it. Why would JJ leak his choice in a Vine like that? I think it was a bunch of high schoolers farting around.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Thought he could've played an important role down the road. I don't think Simmons is a 1 & done player plus Freguson/Smith pushes Rawle into playing some SG at times. Simon was likely blocked for 2 more years. He probably didn't expect three 5* wings incoming this soon.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
PJC is not going anywhere, Pitts is not even part of the team and the people inside feel very good about Ferguson committing to the Cats.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on what I read elsewhere was it not apparent that the only reason ESPN interviewed Ferguson during the game on the bench last night was that he was supposed to commit on air, likely to Arizona? It seemed fairly clear to me the sideline guy thought that was what was going to happen, he's committing and he had to wing it when Ferguson said I'm down to 5, could only remember 3 at first and then had some weird thing about needing to take 4 more visits but then said he probably didn't need to take them all and eventually concluded with he'd probably only take 1 more.

Also didn't seem to have a clue that he is not REQUIRED to sign an LOI in April, he can simply verbal wherever he wants and then sign a scholarship agreement when he shows up on campus. I'm still amazed at how few kids do that to avoid being bound to a school and having to ask out if they change their minds.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson