Miller once again does it again!

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Miller is a savage. He's probably the best recruiter not named Cal or Kryz.

JJ is clearly the best player remaining but I'd Ferguson might be the most exciting. Just give us one.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Miller is a savage. He's probably the best recruiter not named Cal or Kryz.

JJ is clearly the best player remaining but I'd Ferguson might be the most exciting. Just give us one.

If Miller only gets Ferguson and not JJ, he'd be very disappointed. He's put in so much time and effort in trying to land JJ that he'd feel the class was incomplete. I think the only time I've seen him put this much work in for a recruit was to get Aaron Gordon.

TJ

Reaction score
BTW---it is worth mentioning that Alkins's OV was at the game in which Miller shouted "MFer" at Kaleb. Shout out to those who felt that "altercation" would cost us a recruit.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If Miller only gets Ferguson and not JJ, he'd be very disappointed. He's put in so much time and effort in trying to land JJ that he'd feel the class was incomplete. I think the only time I've seen him put this much work in for a recruit was to get Aaron Gordon.

What about Stan? They were at odds the first half of the season but it seemed like Miller was in on him early and he loved Arizona.

As for the lineup it looks like Ray Smith has put on upper body weight and can play some stretch-4. Good insurance should JJ go somewhere else.

Who are AZ's main targets for 2017?

TJ

Reaction score
What about Stan? They were at odds the first half of the season but it seemed like Miller was in on him early and he loved Arizona.

As for the lineup it looks like Ray Smith has put on upper body weight and can play some stretch-4. Good insurance should JJ go somewhere else.

Who are AZ's main targets for 2017?

Stan asked Miller to coach him hard. Stan was a bit immature when he got to campus, and Miller and McConnell had to put him in check. When conference play started, Stan was fully onboard.

I'm tempering my excitement on Ray Smith. He hasn't played competitive basketball since his junior year of high school. He's going to be very rusty his first year back. My hope is that JJ commits so Smith can come off the bench and play 10-15 min/game.

Regarding 2017, it's tough to tell, but keep an eye on DJ Harvey, Billy Preston, and others. UofA has a decent shot at Trevon Duval, as well.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Stan asked Miller to coach him hard. Stan was a bit immature when he got to campus, and Miller and McConnell had to put him in check. When conference play started, Stan was fully onboard.

I'm tempering my excitement on Ray Smith. He hasn't played competitive basketball since his junior year of high school. He's going to be very rusty his first year back. My hope is that JJ commits so Smith can come off the bench and play 10-15 min/game.

Regarding 2017, it's tough to tell, but keep an eye on DJ Harvey, Billy Preston, and others. UofA has a decent shot at Trevon Duval, as well.

Good to know. Is there some risk with the PHX kid Ayton?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to know. Is there some risk with the PHX kid Ayton?

Nobody thinks he's going to college he's going to china. He's not from Phoenix he's from the Bahamas and was in San Diego but the prepschool there had issues and he had some of the same people around him that Jeremy Tyler and even Chol had so he went to a new school. Of course Bagley left for among other reasons academics. Ayton was reportedly going to Prime Prep until it became clear it was in deep trouble.

Preston and Duval are both at the same prepschool that Terrance Ferguson is at. Preston and Ferguson were both at Prime Prep when that school closed, all sorts of academic violations and a huge money issues that eventually got them in huge trouble. A few days after it closed, it reopened not that far away under the name Advanced Prep International, many of the same teachers and administrators but no Deion Sanders this time. Like Prime Prep, API is not NCAA certified. Shortly after it opened Duval transferred in. Same coach, 4 of the players were from PP.

Prime Prep had several kids who struggled to get cleared by the NCAA but most eventually did. the one who didn't was Mudiay and that's because he also took lots of cash apparently.

Preston was playing against Prime Prep in a HS tournament, during the game they apparently recruited him and a few days later he was playing for Prime Prep, against his old HS, in a different tournament. Talented kid reminds me quite a bit of Billy Owens, but iffy academics and his mom is another one of those helicopter parents. really good though.

UA is also recruiting Brandon McCoy from San Diego pretty heavily, Cal is on him too.

TJ

Reaction score
T-Ferguson visiting tomorrow. Scout guys like him to Zona, but with about 4-5 schools in play, we'll see. I know Simmons and Alkins have been recruiting him hard.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Ferguson, Kobi, Rawle and Lauri could all be 2 year players. That would be great (but probably unlikely).

TJ

Reaction score
Latest on JJ:

Mom wants Kansas
JJ wants MSU

Might commit tonight.

Sucks

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Latest on JJ:

Mom wants Kansas
JJ wants MSU

Might commit tonight.

Sucks

Not really that sucky, but I'm sure all that egg is hard to see through. ;)

Also, it's silly to think a kid commits somewhere he doesn't want to go. Quit reading the MSU boards with all the whiny haters.

I'll believe the commit when it happens.

TJ

Reaction score
Not really that sucky, but I'm sure all that egg is hard to see through. ;)

Also, it's silly to think a kid commits somewhere he doesn't want to go. Quit reading the MSU boards with all the whiny haters.

I'll believe the commit when it happens.

What egg? Never said it was Zona. :shrug:

The next step is to see if he actually gets on campus. He could back out entirely and go to China, which has always been the elephant in the room. This could go until August.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The next step is to see if he actually gets on campus. He could back out entirely and go to China, which has always been the elephant in the room. This could go until August.

It was more you doubted KU was even in the discussion only a month ago because of insider rumors and innuendo.

That's the problem with the recruiting information racket. It's always heating up and always fluid.

Really though, do you not find your comments about Jackson and his mother and the particular schools rediculous?

TJ

Reaction score
It was more you doubted KU was even in the discussion only a month ago because of insider rumors and innuendo.

That's the problem with the recruiting information racket. It's always heating up and always fluid.

Really though, do you not find your comments about Jackson and his mother and the particular schools rediculous?

Nope, and no rational person would.

That was the information that was available at the time, and I even added that KU wasn't out of the picture.

If you wanna throw eggs at someone, launch them at Point Guard U, who told everyone that JJ was Arizona bound.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nope, and no rational person would.

That was the information that was available at the time, and I even added that KU wasn't out of the picture.

If you wanna throw eggs at someone, launch them at Point Guard U, who told everyone that JJ was Arizona bound.

I think it's pretty obvious I am throwing eggs at them, but a little bit you for hanging on that information. Maybe it's because KU has been bitten one too many times, or miraculously come out with a recruit when all information was against it that I scoff so much at these fans that live and die for this information.

Anyways, got a game to watch so I'm out for the night. Go Hawks!

TJ

Reaction score
I think it's pretty obvious I am throwing eggs at them, but a little bit you for hanging on that information. Maybe it's because KU has been bitten one too many times, or miraculously come out with a recruit when all information was against it that I scoff so much at these fans that live and die for this information.

Anyways, got a game to watch so I'm out for the night. Go Hawks!

If there's one entity I don't listen to, it's PGU. I don't "hang" off of anything they say

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If Arizona gets Ferguson it's still probably the greatest class in AZ history but Miller has to be dissapointed regardless.

TJ

Reaction score
If Arizona gets Ferguson it's still probably the greatest class in AZ history but Miller has to be dissapointed regardless.

Yep. Miller put a lot of man hours into recruiting JJ, only to come up short. I know he worked his butt off for Winslow and came up short, too, but I would think that this one stings more for him.

A class that includes Alkins, Ferguson, Markk, and Simmons is nothing to scoff at. Add to it that Ray Smith will be a RS Freshman and that's like adding five 5-star guys to the team.

TJ

Reaction score
Jackson did not commit tonight. Surprise surprise.

Whole situation is odd. Scout guys shot Meyer's rumor down fairly quickly.

Who knows? Maybe he pulls a fast one and commits to Coastal Carolina.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Latest on JJ:

Mom wants Kansas
JJ wants MSU

Might commit tonight.

Sucks

Supposedly that rumor came from Jerry Meyer and I was told the PGU guys are insisting he's still telling Arizona he's coming to Arizona.

MSU makes sense his girlfriend is at michigan next year her sister at MSU. But the rationale for the mom wanting him at KU makes no sense. Meyer said that the mom is afraid he'll get in trouble back home around all his friends, just a few months ago the reason everyone started saying MSU was allegedly the mom wanted him home. So unless she means I don't want him near his girlfriend, what changed?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That step is true of several of these kids though. One of the reasons Ferguson never signed with Alabama is he wasn't NCAA qualified and Bama doesn't let kids who aren't sign an NLI. His coach is saying he'll qualify now.

And Alkins is no lock either he was academically ineligible virtually his entire freshman year and part of his junior year and his HS coach said he nearly had to repeat 8th grade because his family moved to Florida during the season and he had all sorts of issues in the Florida school.

But as I keep saying, these days only foreign kids like Diallo wind up missing any time due to academics, the NCAA always winds up looking the other way and approving the US kids so I'm sure Ferguson and ALkins will both qualify.

There's also some talk that Markkanen is draft eligible and if he plays well enough at the Hoop Summit he might do a Nowitzki and turn pro, but I doubt it. Dirk was much better known he was a guaranteed high pick, don't think Lauri is yet but after a year in college could be.