Mikal's progress

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is kinda going under the radar, but 20 games in Mikal is averaging 44% from three, along with career highs rebounding (5.4), blocks (1.1), assists (3.5), and scoring (16.1), all to go with his already incredibly efficient offensive game and all-league defense.

I would think this is in part due to the absence of Jae, Chris and Cam. The ball is finding him more.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, I think Monty is deliberately developing Mikal as a playmaker, someone who can create his own shot, to give the Suns another offensive weapon.

He has been become good at doing a curl in the lane for that short jumper.

Additionally, Bridges no longer hesitates on that corner 3-pointer.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I love Mikal. He gets the hardest assignment every night and is still giving us 16 a game. He should be an All-Star. I’m glad he’s getting more opportunities and I’m glad he’s staying aggressive. He can definitely be a #2 or 3 option if Book doesn’t have it going.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His minutes are also up.

I like the fact that his percentage is still good with the increase in minutes. I do notice that he isn't ONLY focused on D like he was, meaning he does get burned from time to time and isn't as lock down as he used to be. But he still provides a high level of defense.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still don't think he is getting enough shots. I mean that's kind of obvious when he is basically our most efficient scorer.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
He showed some offensive growth last season, that faded a bit during the playoffs. Glad to see he's apparently still working on his game, and hopefully it'll show up in the playoffs as well!

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This is kinda going under the radar, but 20 games in Mikal is averaging 44% from three, along with career highs rebounding (5.4), blocks (1.1), assists (3.5), and scoring (16.1), all to go with his already incredibly efficient offensive game and all-league defense.

I would think this is in part due to the absence of Jae, Chris and Cam. The ball is finding him more.
He averaged about 18 per game for the last 34 games of last season. I don't think the increase in output has anything to do with them actually. He has simply found his role within the offense and it would likely be the same even with those guys playing.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, yes, Mikal took another step, but this team really needed him to take a leap if they want to win the whole thing. He's still a complimentary player, incapable of creating anything off the bounce and is beyond skittish late in games.

he's gone from 14.2/4.2/2.1 to 16.1/5.4/3.5... basically up a little more than 2 ppg, 1 asst and 1 rebound. You want to see guys who take big steps forward at similar times in their careers, you look at Jalen Brown who in year 4 went from 13/4/1 ppg to 20/6/2 and then kept rising all of his numbers to now being 26/6/3. Or Middleton going from 15/4/4 to consistently 20/6/4 and a big time playoff producer.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
so, yes, Mikal took another step, but this team really needed him to take a leap if they want to win the whole thing. He's still a complimentary player, incapable of creating anything off the bounce and is beyond skittish late in games.

he's gone from 14.2/4.2/2.1 to 16.1/5.4/3.5... basically up a little more than 2 ppg, 1 asst and 1 rebound. You want to see guys who take big steps forward at similar times in their careers, you look at Jalen Brown who in year 4 went from 13/4/1 ppg to 20/6/2 and then kept rising all of his numbers to now being 26/6/3. Or Middleton going from 15/4/4 to consistently 20/6/4 and a big time playoff producer.

Relatively small jumps considering he's playing more minutes.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah he’s pretty much just 1 up across the board this year. I think this is where he is at and who he’s gonna be and that’s still a very good role player but I don’t see all star in his future

He can’t take guys off the dribble or create.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah he’s pretty much just 1 up across the board this year. I think this is where he is at and who he’s gonna be and that’s still a very good role player but I don’t see all star in his future

He can’t take guys off the dribble or create.
Exactly. If book was out he’s not capable of taking over that role. A true #2 has to be able to play Batman (instead of robin) once in a while.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Relatively small jumps considering he's playing more minutes.
Who’s got relatively small jumps? Jaylen? He went from 13 ppg to 25 ppg in two seasons around the exact same time Bridges is at right now.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Who’s got relatively small jumps? Jaylen? He went from 13 ppg to 25 ppg in two seasons around the exact same time Bridges is at right now.

Brown also has a lot more turnovers and way less efficient than Bridges. I think Brown is a better scorer but let’s be honest, Mikal just hasn’t had the volume to be a lead scorer because Book and CP3 (when healthy) control all the action and DA does as well.

In this Bulls game, he drove and kicked to Landry on the wing for a 3. He’s super unselfish and that’s why it’s hard for him to get into a scoring rhythm.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Mikal.

Career average minutes are 32. Last season 35min. This year 37 mins.

Small jumps in his numbers for the increase of minutes per game. Not the trajectory we are hoping for.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mikal.

Small jumps in his numbers for the increase of minutes per game. Not the trajectory we are hoping for.
My goodness. He is one of the best defenders in the game and an excellent offensive role player. You make it sound like he is a disappointment.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mikal.

Do you even watch the games? He is asked to stand in the corner on 80% of plays, and touches the ball on offense maybe 30% of possessions.

He is usually the 4th option on offense, and he is very efficient in that role. Your expectations are ridiculous for the role the coaches are telling him to play.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My goodness. He is one of the best defenders in the game and an excellent offensive role player. You make it sound like he is a disappointment.

In this very thread i said he's still providing a high level of defense?

Do you even watch the games? He is asked to stand in the corner on 80% of plays, and touches the ball on offense maybe 30% of possessions.

He is usually the 4th option on offense, and he is very efficient in that role. Your expectations are ridiculous for the role the coaches are telling him to play.

Was simply replying to Cheese, since he compared Mikals jump - or lack of jump - in numbers to Jalen Brown and Middleton.

We all know Bridges isn't a 1-3 option on this team. I think he's just more efficient this year, his entire game; know when to score versus passing, knowing when to D it up versus going all out like he used to.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The third option on most championship teams, even with three superstars, is 16-18 ppg. Its just not reasonable to expect a player who is the third offensive option to be scoring 20 ppg. The only time in the last 20 years or so that a championship team had three 20 point scorers was Klay, KD, and Steph. Most of the time a team's third star can score when needed but defers to the top two, but also adds another essential element like rebounding or defense.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The third option on most championship teams, even with three superstars, is 16-18 ppg. Its just not reasonable to expect a player who is the third offensive option to be scoring 20 ppg. The only time in the last 20 years or so that a championship team had three 20 point scorers was Klay, KD, and Steph. Most of the time a team's third star can score when needed but defers to the top two, but also adds another essential element like rebounding or defense.
Do you think bridges could score 20+ points per game if Booker weren’t playing?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s the problem with this… we don’t have a second 20 ppg scorer. Also, Bridges doesn’t need to be a 20 ppg scorer. But his inability to create his own offense is a problem if he’s our third best player. The Warriors, Spurs, Bulls, Heat, even the Raptors all had AT LEAST 3 guys who could create on their own and for others (Bulls 91-93 really only had Jordan and Pip but they were two of the best creators of all time. Same with the Shaq/Kobe Lakers. We’ve got no one on those levels of number 1 with Shaq/Jordan).

Warriors V1 had Steph/Klay/Draymond/Iggy/Harrison Barnes/Livingston. That was 3 elite offensive players, 2 of which were also elite defenders and then 3 solid creators outside of their top 3. and version 2.0 had an incredible top 4 with Steph/Klay/KD/Draymond. 3.0 had Steph/Poole/Wiggins (easily the weakest of the teams).

Spurs: Duncan/Ginobli/Parker. Then Duncan/Ginobli/Parker/Kawhi. All those guys hall of famers.

Raptors: Kawhi/Siakam/Gasol/Lowry.

Bucks: Giannis/Middleton/Holiday… and then guys like Bobby Portis who could post.

Then there’s Shaq/Kobe who were arguably the best 2 or 3 players in the game and arguably top 15 of all time. And then same with MJ/Pippen, but even their second 3 peat teams had an excellent Swiss Army knife in Kukoc who could create and create matchup nightmares.

As is, this team currently and reliably has has ONE GREAT player with Book. But no one else is a reliable #2 game out to do this and definitely isn’t elite at the level previous title winners were. CP3 was that guy last year until he apparently stopped being able to play basketball at a high level once the clock struck 37. And as of yet, Ayton/Bridges don’t come close to any of those #2 guys on title winners. Ayton is flashing the potential to be that #2… but we’ve been here before. If he can sustain that, it’s GINORMOUS. But I think Bridges not being able to consistently create off the bounce will hurt us when the chips are down against an elite D like the Bucks or Celtics.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose