Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great win. Was playing softball

Nice to see Hellickson do so well

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Just got home from a party where the game was on! Fun game to watch! Man this team just never gives up!!

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Just got home from a party where the game was on! Fun game to watch! Man this team just never gives up!!

It's easy to see that the team is playing hard and is well-managed, but the talent isn't quite there for them to be a playoff contender.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It's easy to see that the team is playing hard and is well-managed, but the talent isn't quite there for them to be a playoff contender.

Agree. On offense, we have some fatal flaws:

- no real production from the C, SS and 2b positions. And with Tomas in RF, we can now add 3b as well... Let's hope Lamb can come back and play at the level he was at before he went down...

- no credible power/RBI threat to protect Goldy

That said, our pitching is simply horrendous... Our pen continues to lead the majors in innings pitched which of course means our starters flat out suck...

OP
OP
FArting

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
We are going to contend for the playoffs and win the West.

Lamb and Hernandez are going to be back this week. Laird and Corbin by All Star week.

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
This team has a ton of young talent, but I think we're a year away and an ace away from being a legitimate contender in the NL.

In the OF we're solid, especially if O'brien get a call up and can mash like he is in Reno. That would allow us to deal Peralta for another asset.

I'd rate our OF 4/5

We have the best 1B in baseball - 5/5

Owings is above average at 2b and a decent hitter, but Drury might push him out next season. 3/5

If Lamb can get back to what he was pre injury we have a very good young 3b. 4/5 if he can return to form

Ahmed is one of the best gloves in baseball at SS, as of late he's shown he can hit MLB pitching, now can he do it consistently? 3/5

Catcher - um, well, can any of you guys catch? 0/5

If, and this is the biggest if, Corbin and Bradley can return to form, I like them a lot as our 2 and 3 in the rotation with Anderson as the 4.

Between De la rosa, Ray and Hellickson one will fill in at the 5 spot, while moving Collmenter back to long relief.

That leaves us with the need for a true ace, catcher and closer away from being a 90+ win team in my mind.

David Price is a free agent this offseason and the Tigers say they don't expect to be able to re-sign him. Between the salaries coming off our books from the old front offices mistakes and the new TV deal we should be able to bid with anyone. He could be our RJ/Schilling difference maker.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I find it difficult to criticize the offense too much right now considering that the Dbacks lead the NL in runs scored at 259. The problem is pitching across the board. They are missing a 1 and a 2 starter, a closer and a little more bullpen depth.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I find it difficult to criticize the offense too much right now considering that the Dbacks lead the NL in runs scored at 259.
Didja hear about the guy with one foot in boiling water and the other in dry ice? On average, he felt pretty comfortable. :)

The D-backs may lead the NL in runs scored, but the offense has been very inconsistent. Just as our lineups. Just as our record.

I expect that Chip Hale will realize the correlation soon between inconsistent scoring and a .500 record. If not, even with the return of two starters and a reliever from surgery, we will still be a .500 team.

I was hoping that my boy Chip, despite being a huge improvement over Gibby (especially now that we know that part of it was due to Parkinson's), wouldn't fall into the trap of inconsistent lineups, even if Hale plans each day's in advance.

It is still the players who have to adjust every day, which doesn't build consistency.

Edit: I see that Tomas is starting at 3B tonight after starting in RF yesterday. Damnit, Chip, put him in RF and leave him there.

Last edited:

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Didja hear about the guy with one foot in boiling water and the other in dry ice? On average, he felt pretty comfortable. :)

The D-backs may lead the NL in runs scored, but the offense has been very inconsistent. Just as our lineups. Just as our record.

I expect that Chip Hale will realize the correlation soon between inconsistent scoring and a .500 record. If not, even with the return of two starters and a reliever from surgery, we will still be a .500 team.

I was hoping that my boy Chip, despite being a huge improvement over Gibby (especially now that we know that part of it was due to Parkinson's), wouldn't fall into the trap of inconsistent lineups, even if Hale plans each day's in advance.

It is still the players who have to adjust every day, which doesn't build consistency.

Edit: I see that Tomas is starting at 3B tonight after starting in RF yesterday. Damnit, Chip, put him in RF and leave him there.

I don't know if their offensive inconsistency is much different than anyone else in the NL. They average 4.80 runs per game with a Stdev of 3.38, where the Dodgers average 4.47 runs per game also with a stdev of 3.38 and the Nationals average 4.34 runs per game with a stdev of 3.39. I only looked at two teams but I think it still shows that every team, even the good ones, have the same type of inconsistency with their offense. Their problem this year is clearly with pitching.

frankeegee1

All Star
Reaction score
Nice double play there. Not often you see the third baseman be the turn/pivot man at second base taking the throw from the short stop. :-D

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Incredible... Another SP can't make it out of the 6th!! Geeez...
He threw a lot of pitches in the first two innings and left with 100+ pitches. Chase was chased at Chase. :)

The D-backs have had a lot of high pitch count games in the first 2 innings, before they settle down. I guess the answer is to throw more strikes and hope that location keeps you out of trouble.

When Wellington Castillo struck out three times yesterday in his D-back debut at Catcher, I said, "I'm not worried." Another out and a walk today, then he provided our only scoring with a 2-run homer for a come from behind 2-1 win.

'Good to see Lamb as a defensive sub at 3B to end the game with a double play. Chip said he will be starting tomorrow.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So we hadn't had a post 3rd inning comeback win since something like July of 2014 until this week... and we've had 4 in our last 5 games.

Crazy.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Collmenter throwing BP out there.
Thanks to Josh for holding the fort at the top of the staff, but the league is on to his overhand straight fastball, especially when his best is now in the 80's MPH.

'Time to return him to long relief.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen, the Ace of our pitching staff.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Collmenter and Hellickson are trash but Anderson is legit. De La Rosa has been a bit unlucky but has solid K/BB numbers. If Bradley returns to form and they can upgrade Collmenter's spot we might have something. Blair and Shipley have regressed down there though.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Collmenter and Hellickson are trash...

TJ said:
Ladies and gentlemen, the Ace of our pitching staff.

"Trash" . . . sarcasm. Collmenter didn't ask to be at the top of the rotation.

Hey, D-backs fans. The ship is in good hands. Key people are returning from injuries. Better days are coming.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard