Mercury Season Thread

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Season starts tonight against the Silver Stars. Hopefully Diana can drop in 50.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I was about to start this thread. I will be watching tonight and following them all season. They should finally be a playoff team this year.

Nasser22

Reaction score
Mercury just won by 9 I believe. I watched the game, but forgot the score. Taurasi finished with 20 points. Phoenix played great and had a 20 point lead after the 1st half but then got really lazy and committed so many TO's. San Antonio just couldn't catch up though. The offense was great for us tonight. Take that San Antonio! You beat us in the playoffs and now we're even!

lol, not really...heh...:(

1-0 baby!

Nasser22

Reaction score
Nah, I don't even know if she made the team. She was a very late pick.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mercury just won by 9 I believe. I watched the game, but forgot the score. Taurasi finished with 20 points. Phoenix played great and had a 20 point lead after the 1st half but then got really lazy and committed so many TO's. San Antonio just couldn't catch up though. The offense was great for us tonight. Take that San Antonio! You beat us in the playoffs and now we're even!

lol, not really...heh..
.:(

1-0 baby!

:biglaugh:

Nasser22

Reaction score
The Mercury won their first season opener in 7 years...wow.

Nasser22

Reaction score
Mercury beat Sacramento by 1 even though Taurasi received 2 technicals and was ejected in the 2nd quarter. The team is now 3-1.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the AP:

She was whistled for a technical foul after missing her sixth shot and complaining that she drew a foul. With 4:55 left she was called for a flagrant foul on Sacramento's Kara Lawson and subsequently a second technical.

Nasser22

Reaction score
Connecticut up 35-27 at half time(game on ABC). The Mercury are really having a bad game with shots going in and out and not making their free throws. The Sun have also played great defense, limiting Taurasi and Pondexter. Taurasi only has 8 points because she made 2 long 3's. The Mercury have to get those two more opportunities if they want to win this game.

Nasser22

Reaction score
Mercury were raped today, not literally, but it was a pretty bad loss.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those purple jerseys are freaking ugly, nameplates under the numbers? Ugh...

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the purple ones alot more than regular ones..

Purple:
You must be registered for see images

These things are hideous..

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
azsouthendzone

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Phoenix Holds off Indiana
Posted Jul 29 2007 10:15PM

PHOENIX, July 29, 2007 (AP) -- Tangela Smith had 18 points and 12 rebounds to lead the Phoenix Mercury to an 80-75 victory over the Indiana Fever on Sunday.

Phoenix (16-10) outscored Indiana 14-9 in the final 2 minutes to win its fourth in a row and hand the Fever (16-10) their six straight loss.

Diana Taurasi hit a 3-pointer to give the Mercury the lead for good and had five of her 16 points in the final run. Cappie Pondexter had 21 points, including four free throws in the final minute.

"Today, really, was a great team effort,'' Taurasi said. "And that's what we've been having the last five, six games ... everyone in double figures, doing a lot of little things to get victories. That's what we're going to have to do.''

Tan White had 25 points, including five 3s, for the Fever, who fell four games behind first-place Detroit in the Eastern Conference. Tammy Sutton-Brown added 14 points and nine rebounds for Indiana, who was without leading scorer and rebounder Tamika Catchings, who missed her fifth game with a partially torn plantar fascia in her left foot.

"She's our leading scorer, our leading rebounder, our best defender and leads us in assists,'' Indiana coach Brian Winters said of Catchings. "There's a lot categories to fill up there. We're still working our way through it.''

Phoenix made their last 10 free throws in the final 1:06 to secure the victory.

Taurasi hit a 16-footer with 1:21 left to give the Mercury a 71-67 lead and Tully Bevilaqua missed a 3 and Indiana never got closer.

"We just got to keep sticking together,'' Sutton-Brown said. "We're at the point where we are still second place in the East and knowing that will help taking that to the next game.''

Phoenix went on a 12-3 run in the third quarter to take a 50-42 lead with 3:27 left and after Pondexter's jumper from the top of key with 8:45 remaining gave Phoenix a 58-48 advantage.

However, Indiana scored 14 straight points to regain the advantage before Smith's 3 with 3:07 left tied the score at 64.

"It's always easy to win when you're making shots, when the other team isn't playing well, and things are all going your way,'' Taurasi said. "But when things are kind of rocky the whole game, we're up 10, you look up and all of a sudden you're down four, things like that are really a gut-check.''

The WNBA's two best shooting teams combined to make just 35.2 percent of their shots. The teams combined to shoot 31 percent from the field in the first half as the Fever took a 34-32 lead.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I flew from Chicago to PHX last Saturday and the Mercury team was on the same flight.
They all flew coach.

Nasser22

Reaction score
I flew from Chicago to PHX last Saturday and the Mercury team was on the same flight.
They all flew coach.

Heh, WNBA not doing very well are they?

Great win by the Mercury a couple days ago beating a legit title contender. We have the 2nd seed! A championship would really make me happy. :)

Nasser22

Reaction score
Phoenix vs. San Antonio is the next game I believe to take over the #1 seed. :-/ Interesting... it won't make me feel much better if we win, but still. It would be nice.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard