MCU: Armor Wars (Disney+)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

War Machine isn't done with the Marvel Cinematic Universe just yet. Marvel Studios has announced an Armor Wars series, which is currently in development for Disney+.

Don Cheadle will indeed be reprising his role as James Rhodes/War Machine in the show, which will bring the classic storyline to life. He will be taking center stage while trying to recover some stolen Stark tech.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its being turned in to a movie.

Man… they’re setting lots of movies that I don’t think the big audience they’re looking for is going to give a crap.

This… the movie with Yelena and other B hero/villains.. I’m not even sure the new Captain America will be a bonafide hit. You just can’t elevate the side characters into superstar roles and expect the same ROI.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Man… they’re setting lots of movies that I don’t think the big audience they’re looking for is going to give a crap.

This… the movie with Yelena and other B hero/villains.. I’m not even sure the new Captain America will be a bonafide hit. You just can’t elevate the side characters into superstar roles and expect the same ROI.
I'll disagree on the Yelena movie, if they're elevating her to Black Widow. I think Florence Pugh can carry a movie. Cap...I'm not sure. IDGAF about whatever this Armor Wars thing is.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll disagree on the Yelena movie, if they're elevating her to Black Widow. I think Florence Pugh can carry a movie. Cap...I'm not sure. IDGAF about whatever this Armor Wars thing is.
It’s not about can Pugh carry a movie or not. She has already. But Black Widow was one of Marvel’s worst earners and because of that and the fact that Yelena’s development has mostly been in TV shows and a meh movie, the major four quadrant audience isn’t even going to know who’s she’s playing. So she could be great in it… she’s pretty great in everything. But I don’t think it’s gonna be a big moneymaker. When they announced the lineup it looked like a TV level event. Not a big tent pole.

I’d bet anything that Thunderbolts movie does less than 200 million domestic.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It’s not about can Pugh carry a movie or not. She has already. But Black Widow was one of Marvel’s worst earners and because of that and the fact that Yelena’s development has mostly been in TV shows and a meh movie, the major four quadrant audience isn’t even going to know who’s she’s playing. So she could be great in it… she’s pretty great in everything. But I don’t think it’s gonna be a big moneymaker. When they announced the lineup it looked like a TV level event. Not a big tent pole.

I’d bet anything that Thunderbolts movie does less than 200 million domestic.
Eh, two of the reasons for the Black Widow fiasco was the pandemic and how criminally stupid the studio was trying to go back years and doing the Black Widow movie so far after it would have been at all relevant. Now, that's the Scarlett JoJo BW. I think FP can do it. Then again, I'm just imagining that I'd pay to see that. I certainly don't have the pulse of young Americans who would be the target audience!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh, two of the reasons for the Black Widow fiasco was the pandemic and how criminally stupid the studio was trying to go back years and doing the Black Widow movie so far after it would have been at all relevant. Now, that's the Scarlett JoJo BW. I think FP can do it. Then again, I'm just imagining that I'd pay to see that. I certainly don't have the pulse of young Americans who would be the target audience!
Agree. I don't think you can judge anything based on what happened during the Pandemic. She could possibly carry a new Black Widow movie. Although I am not sure that is where they are going with the character based on the Thunderbolts announcement. Sounds like she could be heading up an ensemble from here on out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. I don't think you can judge anything based on what happened during the Pandemic. She could possibly carry a new Black Widow movie. Although I am not sure that is where they are going with the character based on the Thunderbolts announcement. Sounds like she could be heading up an ensemble from here on out.
Yeah… I don’t think the pandemic had much to do with Widow not being huge. First, it was a prequel that had zero stakes with the rest of the universe. Second, even though she was an original Avenger, she was clearly #5 on the call sheet, with no superpower and didn’t have a big known antagonist. Third… it just wasn’t that good. Her movie might have done a little bit better in normal times, but Ant-Man levels at best, no matter when the movie came out.

Remember, Shang-Chi came out only two months later and made 250 million domestic next to Widow’s paltry 180. Then a really weak Venom 2 came out a month later and that did better than Widow too. And both of those happened when Delta started blowing through the world while Widow came out before any variant and Covid was at all time lows and there was hope that we actually killed it with the vaccine.

And none of that changes the fact that even if the pandemic was to blame, that means mass audiences DIDNT see it and that’s where Yelena was established. So she didn’t have the big launch pad they wanted for that character.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah… I don’t think the pandemic had much to do with Widow not being huge. First, it was a prequel that had zero stakes with the rest of the universe. Second, even though she was an original Avenger, she was clearly #5 on the call sheet, with no superpower and didn’t have a big known antagonist. Her movie might have done a little bit better in normal times, but Ant-Man levels at best, no matter when the movie came out.

And none of that changes the fact that even if the pandemic was to blame, that means mass audiences DIDNT see it and that’s where Yelena was established. So she didn’t have the big launch pad they wanted for that character.
I don’t think gauging Yelena’s drawing power on Black Widow makes sense anyway but I will get back to that. It was simultaneously released in the Theater and on Disney+. It did 185 Million domestic and $371 million worldwide. It did another 125 million on. Disney+. That nearly a half a billion dollars worldwide. Not bad.Was it a mega hit? No but it was definitely an experiment by Disney and the marketing overall wasn’t that great from what I remember. That seemed to do OK overall.

Back to my first sentence. The movie wasn’t marketed one bit as a Yelena movie. Nobody knew who she was. She ended up coming out of that movie a breakout character that was popular enough that they pulled her into Hawkeye and now Thunderbolts. You can’t judge what her character could do one bit based on Black Widow IMO that was not marketed around her or about her.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
He’ll also hold the distinction of being in the worst Marvel movie ever. (Just speculating but War Machine just isn’t interesting at all)

Marvel phase 4 does not seem like it’s going in the right direction at the moment.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little worried about this one. Not really that interested in the premise, but I guess we shall see what it looks like when a trailer comes out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think gauging Yelena’s drawing power on Black Widow makes sense anyway but I will get back to that. It was simultaneously released in the Theater and on Disney+. It did 185 Million domestic and $371 million worldwide. It did another 125 million on. Disney+. That nearly a half a billion dollars worldwide. Not bad.Was it a mega hit? No but it was definitely an experiment by Disney and the marketing overall wasn’t that great from what I remember. That seemed to do OK overall.

Back to my first sentence. The movie wasn’t marketed one bit as a Yelena movie. Nobody knew who she was. She ended up coming out of that movie a breakout character that was popular enough that they pulled her into Hawkeye and now Thunderbolts. You can’t judge what her character could do one bit based on Black Widow IMO that was not marketed around her or about her.
What are you talking about? This is nonsensical. No one argued that Black Widow was marketed as a Yelena movie.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you talking about? This is nonsensical. No one argued that Black Widow was marketed as a Yelena movie.
You said "This… the movie with Yelena and other B hero/villains.. I’m not even sure the new Captain America will be a bonafide hit. You just can’t elevate the side characters into superstar roles and expect the same ROI."

Correct me if I am wrong but you are making a judgment based on a character that movie wasn't about (Yelena) and assuming because she is a side character nobody will care, and she can't carry a movie?

She was a breakout character that fans have been wanting to see more of. It's why she was pulled into Hawkeye and now rumored to run the Thunderbolts. All I am saying is that it's definitely possible. I am not saying it's possible with all the side characters.

The Winder Soldier is a "side character" and one of the most popular in all the MCU movies. I have my doubts about the new Captain Ameria movie and Armor wars myself. However, had they used the Winder Soldier in a different way and spun something off? I have no doubts that could have been a huge hit. Instead, they dumbed down his character to give him something else to do because he wasn't going to be the next Captain America. I have not liked every decision the MCU has made for sure.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr