MCU: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you’re being sarcastic but isn’t it nice to have a disagreement where it’s not dripping with vitriol?
Eh. I’ve had better. :mrgreen:

My favorite convo this week was when someone thought I’d like an hour long YouTube video about Craig Mazin and when I said it did nothing for me, I was told I my ego was obviously a problem.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I thought ms Marvel and she hulk were fine for what they were.

What this is is a major opportunity for Gunn and DC.
I thoroughly enjoyed both. Loki got worse as it progressed, with the exception of small moments. Love and Thunder far exceeded Ragnarok, which criminally underused Kate Blanchett (sp).

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought ms Marvel and she hulk were fine for what they were.
This. Loved Loki and Shehulk was a refreshing change after the the last couple movie outings. Still feels like Marvel overall is at a crossroads.

Iger is said to be making major changes at Disney to the TV shows and movies in terms of approach. He already axed 2 Disney+ shows this week.

I think there needs to be a tone shift too. Even Hemsworth knew Thor Love and Thunder sucked. He reportedly said no more Thor unless the approach to the character is different. He evidently wasn’t happy about the approach to the character in the last film. I don’t think Wakanda franchise will survive with whom they chose as the new Black Panther. Looks like this movie will underperform and it’s supposed to kick off the new Phase to boot.

Marvel has to perform with their next few outings in both TV and film or I expect a massive shakeup by Iger. This doesn’t look like a great start.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. Loved Loki and Shehulk was a refreshing change after the the last couple movie outings. Still feels like Marvel overall is at a crossroads.

Iger is said to be making major changes at Disney to the TV shows and movies in terms of approach. He already axed 2 Disney+ shows this week.

I think there needs to be a tone shift too. Even Hemsworth knew Thor Love and Thunder sucked. He reportedly said no more Thor unless the approach to the character is different. He evidently wasn’t happy about the approach to the character in the last film. I don’t think Wakanda franchise will survive with whom they chose as the new Black Panther. Looks like this movie will underperform and it’s supposed to kick off the new Phase to boot.

Marvel has to perform with their next few outings in both TV and film or I expect a massive shakeup by Iger. This doesn’t look like a great start.
After losing Cap and Iron Man, I think they figured they could coast a little bit on Panther, Spidey, Strange and Guardians and enough goodwill by introducing the B team before bringing A-list properties like Fantastic 4 and the X-Men into the fold. But Boseman’s death, Strange being meh and Guardians being pushed wayyy back hurt this run where some of those things got knocked off course and a deluge of mediocrity came in their place. The long wait for introducing 4 and X-Men was an error in judgment on just how strong the brand was, but maybe an unavoidable one considering death, pandemic and firings and rehirings of James Gunn couldn’t really be foreseen.

Meanwhile, Marvel is STILL the strongest brand in the business but to diminishing returns for the first time in it’s pretty incredible history.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile, Marvel is STILL the strongest brand in the business but to diminishing returns for the first time in it’s pretty incredible history.
No matter how this shakes out. This run by Marvel is unprecedented. Years from now this will be looked at as the Golden Age of Comic Book movies.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
It’s still making good money international so it probably won’t lose money. But it’s a continuing sign of Marvel’s slide in quality. Although Love and Thunder crashed pretty hard but ended up with solid legs.

That said, this month has Creed 3, Scream 6, Shazam 2 and John Wick 4 coming in consecutive weeks about to squash AntMan like a bug.

That sentence is so depressing. At least Cocaine Bear made 20 million this weekend. I don’t care if that movie’s good or bad… it’s at least something WEIRD that Universal took a shot on and paid off. Between that, Megan, The Lost City and Violent Night performing, maybe the mid-budget comedy is finally making a comeback.
We'll have to see if international gets the same type of drop this week. The studio also usually gets a lower % of the box office international (20-40%) over domestic (60%) so it's harder to make up the shortfall.

Hopefully that is the mid-budget comedy coming back. I'd like to see more mid-budget films across all genres. Get back to good story telling where the movies aren't just a CGI orgy.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Marvel needs a Feige intervention. Thor God and Thunder sucked. Wakanda Forever was OK and now this movie.

Marvel is at a turning point with their franchise IMO.

I'm starting to think Feige is a big part of the problem. I think we need to give Favreau and the other creatives at the start more credit on laying out what became the MCU juggernaut. Since he's had absolute control of Marvel things have been sliding. The movies are now on the same trajectory as the comic have been. I had been chalking the comic up to him not caring about them vs the movies but now I don't know. There's definitely been a shift from story telling to spectacle though under him.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to think Feige is a big part of the problem. I think we need to give Favreau and the other creatives at the start more credit on laying out what became the MCU juggernaut. Since he's had absolute control of Marvel things have been sliding. The movies are now on the same trajectory as the comic have been. I had been chalking the comic up to him not caring about them vs the movies but now I don't know. There's definitely been a shift from story telling to spectacle though under him.
I think as the MCU grew it became a victim of every other corporation or entity. It simply becomes too much for one person to run. You start delegating more and taking your thumb off of everything. More TV shows, more Movie projects, more related animation projects Etc.

Stout

Reaction score
After losing Cap and Iron Man, I think they figured they could coast a little bit on Panther, Spidey, Strange and Guardians and enough goodwill by introducing the B team before bringing A-list properties like Fantastic 4 and the X-Men into the fold. But Boseman’s death, Strange being meh and Guardians being pushed wayyy back hurt this run where some of those things got knocked off course and a deluge of mediocrity came in their place. The long wait for introducing 4 and X-Men was an error in judgment on just how strong the brand was, but maybe an unavoidable one considering death, pandemic and firings and rehirings of James Gunn couldn’t really be foreseen.

Strongly disagree. Also don't see Fantastic 4 as a big gun. It's a huge minefield they'd have to get perfect for it to work. Boseman's death certainly threw a monkey wrench into the works.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strongly disagree. Also don't see Fantastic 4 as a big gun. It's a huge minefield they'd have to get perfect for it to work. Boseman's death certainly threw a monkey wrench into the works.
We'll have to see if international gets the same type of drop this week. The studio also usually gets a lower % of the box office international (20-40%) over domestic (60%) so it's harder to make up the shortfall.

Hopefully that is the mid-budget comedy coming back. I'd like to see more mid-budget films across all genres. Get back to good story telling where the movies aren't just a CGI orgy.
Looking like Ant-Man will barely cross 500 million total with international factored in. That’s not good for Marvel and a sign that this one really catered to the hard core fans… without much rewatch audience coming back for seconds.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Looking like Ant-Man will barely cross 500 million total with international factored in. That’s not good for Marvel and a sign that this one really catered to the hard core fans… without much rewatch audience coming back for seconds.
I'm not sure if it's even going to hit 500m with the way it tanked this weekend. It looks like international is way down too. With the slate of movies coming up I think it might have trouble cracking 450. Either way that's an MCU failure when you factor in the 200m budget.

I think we've hit the MCU saturation point where the general audience is burnt out on what they're producing. Opening weekend seems to be for the Marvelstans with GA waiting to see what word of mouth is like. If it's not something big, like Toby's back, then they're not coming out in large numbers anymore.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We saw this on Friday, was mildly entertaining, I did fall asleep in the middle, but the last third or so was pretty good. I am not a big comic book movie fan, but enjoy Paul Rudd and this particular character. Best parts for me:

1) His goofy walking down the sidewalk to the Welcome Back Kotter song saying hi to everyone;
2) "Its never too late to stop being a dick."

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We just got back. We really liked it. Not even close to the Eternals which wasn’t great. We thought this was a good movie but my wife felt it was also really weird and can understand why that turned people off. She said it was much better than the Eternals or the last Thor movie though. My daughters like it because of the daughter/father thread.

For me it was a cross between Star Wars and Guardians in terms of the vibe of the movie.

Stout

Reaction score
We just got back. We really liked it. Not even close to the Eternals which wasn’t great. We thought this was a good movie but my wife felt it was also really weird and can understand why that turned people off. She said it was much better than the Eternals or the last Thor movie though. My daughters like it because of the daughter/father thread.

For me it was a cross between Star Wars and Guardians in terms of the vibe of the movie.
I will not dispute yinz liking it but get Guardians out ya mouth when talking about this movie lol

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will not dispute yinz liking it but get Guardians out ya mouth when talking about this movie lol
Huh? Ya need to read. I said the vibe. I said nothing about comparing it to the actual movie.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We went as a family to see it. Nice to have my daughter back from college. I went in with low expectations but the original Antman was one of my favorites. We actually enjoyed it for the most part. Of course they had me at Bill Murray.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man… I didn’t give a flying frack about anything going on in this movie after the first 45 minutes.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I am liking kang. Too bad majors is an a-hole. He was good in the role. The rest of this movie was meh.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose