Marvel Sues to Block Heirs From Reclaiming Spider-Man, Doctor Strange Copyrights

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marvel Sues to Block Heirs From Reclaiming Spider-Man, Doctor Strange Copyrights

Marvel filed four lawsuits on Friday seeking to block comic book creators and their heirs from seizing control of copyrights to such major characters as Spider-Man and Doctor Strange.

The move comes after heirs of several Marvel authors filed dozens of termination notices with the U.S. Copyright Office, seeking to end Marvel’s licenses to the characters.

In the lawsuits, Marvel argues that the characters were created under “work for hire” arrangements, and that the heirs have no valid claim to the copyrights.

Marvel points to a key case involving Jack Kirby, who co-created “The X-Men,” “Thor” and “Iron Man.” In that case, Kirby’s heirs sought to reclaim copyright to his creations, but the federal courts sided with Marvel, finding that the characters were made under work-for-hire arrangements.

Marvel’s lawyers, led by Daniel Petrocelli, say these cases present “virtually identical circumstances.”

Under the Copyright Act 1976, heirs are permitted, in certain circumstances, to terminate the grant of a license or transfer to a copyrighted work — such as a comic book — via a properly executed notice.

There has been ongoing debate about how comic creators have been unfairly remunerated in light of the cinematic juggernauts their creations inspired.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My sympathy for the heirs in these kinds of cases begins to wane the further we get from the original creator.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
My sympathy for the heirs in these kinds of cases begins to wane the further we get from the original creator.
I'm usually with you on that but since it's Disney and how they've dealt with royalties and copyrights I'm fully behind the heirs on this one. I want to see the mouse get screwed on this one. Especially since the length of the copyrights that these heirs have are due to them trying to protect Mickey.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm usually with you on that but since it's Disney and how they've dealt with royalties and copyrights I'm fully behind the heirs on this one. I want to see the mouse get screwed on this one. Especially since the length of the copyrights that these heirs have are due to them trying to protect Mickey.

I have no love for the Mouse either.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose