Marcus Cooper named Defensive Player of the Week

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chiefs fans probably sound like Cards fans of old... We cut somebody and they become all pro for another team!!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He had a great game. Now he needs to consistently show that he can hold that starting spot and that one game wasn't a mirage.

OP
OP
Cardiac

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is not a bash Pat P post on my part but Cooper had a better game then him IMO. PP only had one pick :)

Seriously though it is my perception that Cooper gave up less receptions as well. He also broke Winston's pretty gold necklace during the game. I do agree with MCD that I hope it's not a mirage or a repeat of how his KC career played out.

Reign Blood

Tattooed Hundredaire
Reaction score
This is not a bash Pat P post on my part but Cooper had a better game then him IMO. PP only had one pick :)

Seriously though it is my perception that Cooper gave up less receptions as well. He also broke Winston's pretty gold necklace during the game. I do agree with MCD that I hope it's not a mirage or a repeat of how his KC career played out.
Making the roster in the secondary at KC is like making the roster at wr in AZ. We'll take the leftovers just fine.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
He is not a All Pro and we did not need one, we needed a solid guy to man the opposite position. He is going to have his moments good and bad but we are not worst off than with Powers... Keim did a great job and we STILL have Simon who can work into the mix because a good GM does not quit and gets depth :)

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Congrats to Cooper... he was solid out there & took advantage of the opportunities that came to him. On the tipped INT, he said he followed Bucannon's recognition of the screen & was just trying to fill his containment lane & the ball fell right into his lap. Mauro & Buc made that play & Cooper did a great job finishing it. The other pick was a poorly thrown ball behind a WR that wasn't even looking for it & went right to Cooper. I don't think he earned the NFC DPOTW, but maybe it was a slow week for NFC Defenders (or because we scored 40 pts & got more attention). It's not like he undercut the routes to intercept well thrown balls or ran the route better than the WR like Pat P did on Evans.

I'm not knocking Cooper's performance at all... he was a huge improvement over Brandon Williams & restored some faith in the Cards defense. Now he has to keep it up every week... keep the plays in front of him, make solid tackles, take advantage of poorly thrown balls, study his game film like Bucannon did so that he recognizes the play right away. Teams mix up their offense every week, but there's always a handful of plays that they bring into the next game & one of those turned into the tip drill for us.

OP
OP
Cardiac

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Congrats to Cooper... he was solid out there & took advantage of the opportunities that came to him. On the tipped INT, he said he followed Bucannon's recognition of the screen & was just trying to fill his containment lane & the ball fell right into his lap. Mauro & Buc made that play & Cooper did a great job finishing it. The other pick was a poorly thrown ball behind a WR that wasn't even looking for it & went right to Cooper. I don't think he earned the NFC DPOTW, but maybe it was a slow week for NFC Defenders (or because we scored 40 pts & got more attention). It's not like he undercut the routes to intercept well thrown balls or ran the route better than the WR like Pat P did on Evans.

I think he deserves a tad bit more credit then you are giving him and in the article they mentioned there have only been 3 TD's scored by defensive players so far this year so two picks and a TD earned him the award.

I'm not knocking Cooper's performance at all... he was a huge improvement over Brandon Williams & restored some faith in the Cards defense. Now he has to keep it up every week... keep the plays in front of him, make solid tackles, take advantage of poorly thrown balls, study his game film like Bucannon did so that he recognizes the play right away. Teams mix up their offense every week, but there's always a handful of plays that they bring into the next game & one of those turned into the tip drill for us.

They were killing us with that WR screen and so D coaches covered it on the sidelines and drew up the solution.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cooper's quotes from the breakdown of the tipped INT that AZCardinals did:

Cooper prepares to defend the screen: “I was watching what Buc was doing. After he drove the running back, I was trying to make sure I was able to fit off him – just protect my gap, basically. Then I did see the ball tipped, so I was able to react to it.”

Cooper got the glory on this play, but says it was his teammates who did the dirty work: “The tip ball in the first place, and then Buc being able to make sure he didn’t catch that pass, that’s where the play was made right there. I just capitalized on what Buc (and Mauro) did for me.”

I like his humble (team-oriented) answers. He still made a great play & took the ball 60 yards for the TD. He was in the right place at the right time on both of his INTs & I don't mean that in a bad way at all. It's impressive that he put himself in position to make the plays & then made the plays that we needed him to make... especially after watching Brandon Williams fail to do that against the Pats (I'm still hoping he can turn it around too).

OP
OP
Cardiac

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cooper's quotes from the breakdown of the tipped INT that AZCardinals did:

Cooper prepares to defend the screen: “I was watching what Buc was doing. After he drove the running back, I was trying to make sure I was able to fit off him – just protect my gap, basically. Then I did see the ball tipped, so I was able to react to it.”

Cooper got the glory on this play, but says it was his teammates who did the dirty work: “The tip ball in the first place, and then Buc being able to make sure he didn’t catch that pass, that’s where the play was made right there. I just capitalized on what Buc (and Mauro) did for me.”

I like his humble (team-oriented) answers. He still made a great play & took the ball 60 yards for the TD. He was in the right place at the right time on both of his INTs & I don't mean that in a bad way at all. It's impressive that he put himself in position to make the plays & then made the plays that we needed him to make... especially after watching Brandon Williams fail to do that against the Pats (I'm still hoping he can turn it around too).

:thumbup:

Bucannon sniffs out the play before the snap: “I’d seen this on film. (Running back Charles Sims) does one of two things. He does a screen or he just does a sit down. When he did that slant, I knew it was going to be that screen. I think Coop knew it, too, from just watching film. I reacted to it, and he definitely reacted to it, too.”

Both complimenting each other during this interview and definitely on the field.

K9 wants big impact plays from Bucannon and IMO this was just that. He sniffed it out and blew it up and tackled Sims as we was trying to catch the ball which caused the 2nd tip and allowed Cooper to get the pick 6.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We are setting up for a cataclysmic let down with all these Saint Marcus "The Savior" Cooper reactions.

Dudes better than Brandon. That should be the bar of expectation.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We are setting up for a cataclysmic let down with all these Saint Marcus "The Savior" Cooper reactions.

Who is 'we'?

Yours seems to be the only un-measured reaction.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's not to like about this?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
hope it isn't just a flash in the pan...if it is a season preview our defense just took a serious upgrade.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

This is a fan based forum (meaning people who take joy in their team) and for the most part we think the guy was solid and just happy Brandon is no longer suffering learning on the fly and this award is an honor that reflects on Forty One, and the Cardinals which we follow because we bleed Cardinal red... the real 'we' does not need to be put in their place, go play draft games with the Browns and enjoy their high picks if our enthusiasm offends you :)

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is a fan based forum (meaning people who take joy in their team) and for the most part we think the guy was solid and just happy Brandon is no longer suffering learning on the fly and this award is an honor that reflects on Forty One, and the Cardinals which we follow because we bleed Cardinal red... the real 'we' does not need to be put in their place, go play draft games with the Browns and enjoy their high picks if our enthusiasm offends you :)

I would have said it a little differently, but I get what Bodha is saying. If what Chiefs fans say can be believed, he looked good as a rookie up until Manning and D.Thomas completely shredded him in the middle of the season. They repeatedly targeted him and Cooper was never the same after that. I've seen a number of them say you don't want him on an island covering a WR, which is exactly what we ask of our CBs here. Maybe he's grown and learned from the early abuse that Chiefs fans claim was the start of his bad play. I hope the change in scenery and personnel around him is enough and we have a legit #2CB.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn