Manchester by the Sea

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Manchester by the Sea

Release date: November 18, 2016 (limited)
Studio: Amazon Studios, Roadside Attractions
Director: Kenneth Lonergan
MPAA Rating: N/A
Screenwriter: Kenneth Lonergan
Genre: Drama

Starring: Casey Affleck, Michelle Williams, Lucas Hedges, Kyle Chandler, Gretchen Mol, C.J. Wilson

Plot Summary: In "Manchester by the Sea," the latest film from award-winning writer and director Kenneth Lonergan, the life of a solitary Boston janitor is transformed when he returns to his hometown to take care of his teenage nephew. The story of the Chandlers, a working-class family living in a Massachusetts fishing village for generations, "Manchester by the Sea" is a deeply poignant, unexpectedly funny exploration of the power of familial love, community, sacrifice and hope.

After the death of his older brother Joe (Kyle Chandler), Lee Chandler (Casey Affleck) is shocked to learn that Joe has made him sole guardian of his nephew Patrick (Lucas Hedges). Taking leave of his job, Lee reluctantly returns to Manchester-by-the-Sea to care for Patrick, a spirited 15-year-old, and is forced to deal with a past that separated him from his wife Randi (Michelle Williams) and the community where he was born and raised. Bonded by the man who held their family together, Lee and Patrick struggle to adjust to a world without him.

In his first film since 2011’s acclaimed "Margaret," Lonergan once again proves himself a powerful and visionary storyteller as he seamlessly weaves past and present together, crafting a tension-filled tale that deftly eschews sentimentality in favor of penetrating emotional insight and deeply affecting human relationships.

You must be registered for see images attach

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought this was slow and pointless. It seems to be just me though.

Nope.... me and the bride felt the same way. We also found the blending of past and present choppy, and several scenes that we wondered, "why in the hell was THAT in the movie?"

We're also very glad we don't live in the world portrayed in the movie.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Nope.... me and the bride felt the same way. We also found the blending of past and present choppy, and several scenes that we wondered, "why in the hell was THAT in the movie?"

We're also very glad we don't live in the world portrayed in the movie.

Wow, I thought it was one of the best made films of 2016. But I'm a big fan of watching broken characters trying to repair themselves.

Definitely Casey Affleck's best performance. I didn't know he had it in him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn