Magic @ Suns Thursday game thread 3-16-2023

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
He’s a much better man defender than Bridges
It would be interesting to see if the Suns will resign him and continue to develop him. He will never be the kind of offensive player Bridges is, but he can certainly be as good, if not better, a defensive player.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see if the Suns will resign him and continue to develop him. He will never be the kind of offensive player Bridges is, but he can certainly be as good, if not better, a defensive player.

Josh Okogie may have played himself beyond a taxpayer MLE unless he is willing to accept a 1 year deal.

As I recall, Bobby Portis took less to stay with the Bucks. He later signed a 4 year, $49 million contract with Milwaukee.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josh Okogie may have played himself beyond a taxpayer MLE unless he is willing to accept a 1 year deal.

As I recall, Bobby Portis took less to stay with the Bucks. He later signed a 4 year, $49 million contract with Milwaukee.

Portis was much more developed than Okogie. This is JO's first year being a contributor. I think there's a chance the Suns could retain him for another year on a cheap deal, probably biannual exception money. We just need his early bird rights so we can lock him in long term.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Portis was much more developed than Okogie. This is JO's first year being a contributor. I think there's a chance the Suns could retain him for another year on a cheap deal, probably biannual exception money. We just need his early bird rights so we can lock him in long term.
Plus Portis had bounced from the Bulls to the Wizards to the Knicks and was grateful for finding a home where he felt wanted. Maybe Josh will be grateful he's no longer in Minnesota and is someplace he's wanted but I wouldn't count on it.

Anyway, I don't think the market's all that huge for him right now. Yes, he's a good defender but there is little love in the NBA for defenders that kill your offensive spacing. He has to be a threat to make that outside shot. Hopefully the confidence and consistency will come.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think this board overrates Okogie's play but I do think there is some overvaluing him in terms of his next deal. He'd have to have a big playoffs for him to receive anything close to MLE money. Maybe someone offers him the taxpayer MLE but I'd be surprised and hesitant to do so if I were the Suns.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, Portis was more developed than Okogie. I do think he played for less money for one season to stay with the Bucks. The Suns had no answer for him in the Finals.

I'd be thrilled if Okogie signed with the Suns for the biannual exception although I think there is only about $2 million difference?

I think the taxpayer MLE s right around $6.4 million.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People may have discounted the win against the mAgic but I said I believe they were playing good ball lately. Well they knocked off the Clippers today so imo the win the other night was a good win, especially coming off 3 straight losses and feeling a bit of pressure. Hopefully the team can continue to gel and figure out some lineups before KD gets reinstalled and we can get rolling a bit… and hopefully Payne continues his play of the last two games, he imo will be instrumental in general to keep Paul’s minutes down and provide some punch with the bench squad…

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People may have discounted the win against the mAgic but I said I believe they were playing good ball lately. Well they knocked off the Clippers today so imo the win the other night was a good win, especially coming off 3 straight losses and feeling a bit of pressure. Hopefully the team can continue to gel and figure out some lineups before KD gets reinstalled and we can get rolling a bit… and hopefully Payne continues his play of the last two games, he imo will be instrumental in general to keep Paul’s minutes down and provide some punch with the bench squad…

Orlando beating the Clippers is big for us.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Orlando beating the Clippers is big for us.

Was watching with a mate and I knew it would be a game they are young and long and have been playing well lately. They are pushing for a spot in the east and ballin.. better win than most think imo.

I would not have guessed this outcome.