Lue being waived by the Kings

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
In a break during the latter half of the Philly game, didn't McCabe say the Suns are trying to bring in PG Tyron Lue (in addition to Giricek) to improve their team. Have the Suns finally acknowledged they need a legitimate PG to backup Nash.

OP
OP
Rab

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
In a break during the latter half of the Philly game, didn't McCabe say the Suns are trying to bring in PG Tyron Lue (in addition to Giricek) to improve their team. Have the Suns finally acknowledged they need a legitimate PG to backup Nash.
Yep

OP
OP
Rab

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I think Giricek and Lue can help the team if the Suns can hold on.
I sure hope so. I've never been a fan of either player, so I can't say I'm confident that they'll make a big difference, but I sure hope I'm wrong. ;)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I guess we won't be seeing Brian Skinner anytime soon. :(

Actually I was thinking the Suns might be better off having Skinner back up Shaq rather than to switching different styles in the middle of the game. It just seems the Suns are conflicted when Shaq comes out and they switch Amare back to center. I think Amare will work at the 5 in this style but I'm not sure if the Suns have time to mess with the chemistry anymore. I belive Amare should stay at the 4. :shrug:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Actually I was thinking the Suns might be better off having Skinner back up Shaq rather than to switching different styles in the middle of the game. It just seems the Suns are conflicted when Shaq comes out and they switch Amare back to center. I think Amare will work at the 5 in this style but I'm not sure if the Suns have time to mess with the chemistry anymore. I belive Amare should stay at the 4. :shrug:
I second that emotion. :thumbup:

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
I second that emotion. :thumbup:

Thirding. I would really like to see more of Skinner at the 5, rather than the switch to Nellie ball halfway in. I'd also like to see more of Linton Johnson on the floor in general while we're at it. Both Skinner and Johnson show up to play and play hard, which seems like a rare commodity right now for the Suns.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to an article about the Suns interest in Lue from Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic dated May 1st, 2008.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0301sunsnb.html

"The reason that Brian, who I like, was playing was because he gave us toughness, rebounding and an inside presence," D'Antoni said. "That's Shaq. Now, we need running. We need to space the floor. When Amaré (Stoudemire) needs to move over, you've got Boris (Diaw). Shaq's taken his minutes up. You don't want to play the same way all the time. You want to switch gears."

Further evidence D'Antoni doesn't know what the hell he is doing. He has been the one preaching that Shaq won't change our game and that we can run with Shaq. So, how does using Skinner (which has already proven he doesn't slow us down) change that exactly?

If D'Antoni truely believes this we are screwed.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
"The reason that Brian, who I like, was playing was because he gave us toughness, rebounding and an inside presence," D'Antoni said. "That's Shaq. Now, we need running. We need to space the floor. When Amaré (Stoudemire) needs to move over, you've got Boris (Diaw). Shaq's taken his minutes up. You don't want to play the same way all the time. You want to switch gears."

Further evidence D'Antoni doesn't know what the hell he is doing. He has been the one preaching that Shaq won't change our game and that we can run with Shaq. So, how does using Skinner (which has already proven he doesn't slow us down) change that exactly?

If D'Antoni truely believes this we are screwed.

D'Antoni has 2 different kinds of lineups: half court and fast (read: small). In the half-court, Shaq is the center. Period. In the other, Amare is the center. Period. As far as the coach is concerned, Skinner doesn't fit there--he won't play him with Shaq, and he won't play him when they need speed. So, he sits. Shaq's defense in the interior is much better than Skinner's, but we certainly are missing that sweet little 12-foot baseline shot Brian has.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D'Antoni has 2 different kinds of lineups: half court and fast (read: small). In the half-court, Shaq is the center. Period. In the other, Amare is the center. Period. As far as the coach is concerned, Skinner doesn't fit there--he won't play him with Shaq, and he won't play him when they need speed. So, he sits. Shaq's defense in the interior is much better than Skinner's, but we certainly are missing that sweet little 12-foot baseline shot Brian has.

Here is my problem. I wouldn't want to see Skinner in there with Shaq. I want to see him in there when Shaq goes to the bench. Look at this:

"When Amaré (Stoudemire) needs to move over, you've got Boris (Diaw)."

Why does Amare need to move over? This is the problem. D'Antoni is so married to his system that he can't help but move Amare over. Look, I am not saying we should never go small. What I am saying is that don't go small unless we have to. How is going small in the last 6 games helped out our winning so far?

Amare at center hurts our defense. That is a fact. So how does going back to the lineup that is getting us killed defensively, help us keep teams in check exactly. We are giving up a ton of points.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You know, I just don't know if I care that much any more.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
After how we've seen Amare play at PF with Shaq in the line up, why would you EVER play Amare back at center? Amare is a devastating PF! He should always be at PF imho.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
After how we've seen Amare play at PF with Shaq in the line up, why would you EVER play Amare back at center? Amare is a devastating PF! He should always be at PF imho.
Not only that, but if you're going to put Diaw in at the same time, Boris is the better choice at center in a "small" lineup. Boris can actually post up decently, has a capable hook shot, and can turn and go to the hoop--all if he wants to. And if he draws coverage, he is excellent at finding the open shooter.

I am much more comfortable keeping Amare at PF and using Boris at center when Shaq is out. But when Boris has those games where he doesn't come to play, then Skinner should be the option.

cly2tw

Reaction score

Have Nash give the ball up in half court sets with Shaq. This would cure most problems on offense. In the last Hornets game, we played excellent without Nash from middle of 1st to middle of 2nd. Maybe partially due to better defense, which is certainly as important.

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
Have Nash give the ball up in half court sets with Shaq. This would cure most problems on offense. In the last Hornets game, we played excellent without Nash from middle of 1st to middle of 2nd. Maybe partially due to better defense, which is certainly as important.

I second that. And somebody needs to tell Barbosa to also run it through Shaq; he freelances on offense to many times. Also, D'Antoni needs to cut it out with this Shaq high post business. It isn't working.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
I second that. And somebody needs to tell Barbosa to also run it through Shaq; he freelances on offense to many times. Also, D'Antoni needs to cut it out with this Shaq high post business. It isn't working.

shaq is essentially a nightmare in the high-post, because he isn't an offensive threat from there. he can't shoot or take anyone off the dribble, so defenders don't even have to play him up there.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
According to a blog in the Atlanta Journal Constitution, Lue has chosen to sign with the Mavericks.
Had a post-game phone conversation with Tyronn Lue and he says it’s official, he’s signing with the Dallas Mavericks. Lue was waived Friday by Sacramento and had his choice of teams (Dallas, Phoenix, Denver, Charlotte, etc.) in need of a veteran backup point guard to help them through the end of the season and the playoffs. He fielded calls from good friends in Phoenix (Shaq, Grant Hill, etc.) but said he opted for the opportunity in Dallas because of the role he’ll play backing up a future Hall of Famer in Jason Kidd.
http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/hawks/entries/2008/03/03/a_sure_shot.html

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
If Lue signs with Dallas, then the Mavericks' issues with point guard depth all but disappear, and the Suns are left out in the cold. So not only does a conference rival get better, but the Suns stay shallow at the point. This does not please BeeBeard.

Why do the Suns keep getting nothing but other teams' waiver scraps, like Giricek? :(

cly2tw

Reaction score
If Lue signs with Dallas, then the Mavericks' issues with point guard depth all but disappear, and the Suns are left out in the cold. So not only does a conference rival get better, but the Suns stay shallow at the point. This does not please BeeBeard.

Why do the Suns keep getting nothing but other teams' waiver scraps, like Giricek? :(

Because DA told the whole world what we'd do with our bench players like Jalen Rose or Jumaine Jones. Why would anybody volunarily want to experience what Jalen went through?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison