Lots of Nuggets from Jurecki and Sommers Today - 2/9/09

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
I will not pretend to know what the team should do, but if I had to make a guess or bet on a vbookie line I think these things will happen.

Butler becomes DC (maybe I'm overly hopeful on this one).
OC is promoted from within and Coach Whisenhunt calls the plays. (I am only uncomfortable with that because I believe the HC needs to manage the whole game)

Q is traded for a draft pick (almost no one will be happy with what we get)
Warner comes back
Dansby is resigned
A Smith leaves via FA
Watson resigns (I hope)
A OLB is signed via FA
A RB is drafted early
Either Dockett or AW sign extension. Look for the other to be franchised next year.

Last edited:

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
LOL @ Rosenslime. What leverage does he and Q have? Nothing. The Cards will trade him if they get a good deal. They aren't working to any else's time table.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
You guys are too quick to want to extend contracts....

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I will continue to support Boldin he is a great wr and we need him on the team next year to have a shot at getting to the sb. I mean don't get me wrong Breaston is a great young wr but he won't get the attention Boldin gets and teams will just double team triple team fitz anytime we play someone. As for Leinart meh bring Warner back we need a qb with a cannon arm for our wr's

Ya, cause double teaming Fitz always worked out well for the opposition. :D

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Watson needs a new deal. He is going to establish himself as one of the premier NTs in this league next year and we need to lock him down before that happens and we lose him or pay through the nose in FA.

A. Smith just wants to go to the highest bidder and I suggest we let that happen. Dansby is a stud and a leader. I stopped hating on him a while ago. All he does is produce. He needs to be retained IMO.

Boldin can bring me a first and second round pick and I am happy. We could really better our team by dealing him. Does he really do more for this team than a Max Unger and Knowshon Moreno would? His leaving would also give us money to pursue a quality pass rusher or CB via FA.

I say see if we cant get a 6th or 7th rounder for Edge. Somehing is better than nothing. I would never let a future HOF who is under contract leave with no compensation. Someone out there wants him and will pay for it IMO.

I agree with you apart from Edge. We won't be able to get anything for him. We have no leverage to ask anything for him. Everyone knows that we won't pay him $5M next season.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm thinking, if Whiz brings people in, look for them to have had some type of connection to him in the past. Not necessarily direct, but, a connection just the same.(1 thing)
If I believe everything I've heard, Warner is not sure about coming back. Says he's tired, no emotional decisions right now, etc. Sounds like a guy from Grren Bay. I'm not sure I want that kind of indecision from a guy I'm paying big bucks to. (3 things)
As for Q, make him a decent restructure offer. If he pulls a complete T.O. hold him to what';s left on his contract. (1 thing)
Fact- there are going to be too many guys that we want to keep, but won't be able to. The money market won't allow it. Get compensation where we can, sign our core, look for a good draft and smart F.A. plan. Players around the league have taken notice of the change in Card land. The important thing is core consistency for our developing players, plug the voids we noticed this year. (5 things)

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with you apart from Edge. We won't be able to get anything for him. We have no leverage to ask anything for him. Everyone knows that we won't pay him $5M next season.
I had forgotten about his salary, good call.
What are your thoughts on Chike? I know he is making a ton of money too? Will we even try to get him to restructure or will he just be cut?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on Chike? I know he is making a ton of money too? Will we even try to get him to restructure or will he just be cut?

Ask him about taking a pay cut, and if he refuses then cut him.

But do it AFTER we re-sign Haggans.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'd keep Chike as nothing but a backup at a lower salary. Maybe sign him to the type of deal Berry signed. If he wants more,show him the door.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I hope the Pittsburgh post-gazzette is wrong and Butler comes onboard. I guarantee he won't come as cheaply as CP did. The Cards may have to over pay to get him since he's supposedly in line to replace LeBeau.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score

Okeafor will get same offer as Berry did last year: "Re-structure you deal to a salary a little higher than your market value. You get more money than you would on the open market and we save money. It's a win-win, since we're going to cut you if you don't take the deal"

Given Chike's age and declining productivity, I would be surprised if the didn't take that deal. Remember Clark Haggans could only get $1M on the open market last season, I doubt Okeafor could get much more.

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A Word of Caution...

The conflicting info on Butler should be warning enough (i.e. Jurecki says the Cards got permission to talk to him/Somers reports he's told Steeler insiders he's not going anywhere).

Tis the season for jockeying, posturing and news-leaks in the midst of coaching changes and in advance of the free-agency kickoff date.

If we believed everything we're hearing, we'd all be looking for the nearest cliff to jump off of.

Suggest we wait for stuff to actually happen before we get too far ahead of things and discover later we were wrong.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Suggest we wait for stuff to actually happen before we get too far ahead of things and discover later we were wrong.

If we did that they might as well shut down the servers at ASFN. :D

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
on the Butler quotes:

I direct your attention to Todd Haley quotes saying he really likes it here (in AZ). He is now coach of the Chiefs (and congrats to Todd for it).

Until you have a contract offer you agree to -- you say the right things about your current job.

Reaction score
Everyone may believe that the Cardinals will not have James on their roster next season. Add another factor, no other teams will want to dole out the $5mill to James for a one year contract either. However, some team may feel that it is worth a 6th or 7th round pick to not have to enter a bidding war for James services; then restructure his deal for a couple of additional years.

I feel that James is no longer a RB that will be effective getting 350 carries a year. But he still has probably two, perhaps three good years as a back sharing duties with another RB.

Bottom line - the Cardinals should at least put the offer out there. If no team shows interest, he still can be cut at any time.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
on the Butler quotes:
I direct your attention to Todd Haley quotes saying he really likes it here (in AZ). He is now coach of the Chiefs (and congrats to Todd for it).
Until you have a contract offer you agree to -- you say the right things about your current job.

LoL, exactly. "I love it in AZ, I love my boss, I'm very happy here, yada, yada, yada."

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone may believe that the Cardinals will not have James on their roster next season. Add another factor, no other teams will want to dole out the $5mill to James for a one year contract either. However, some team may feel that it is worth a 6th or 7th round pick to not have to enter a bidding war for James services; then restructure his deal for a couple of additional years.

Realistically, that's just not going to happen. James knows that the Cardinals will not keep him for $5M next year. He wants to be released outright so that he can choose his next team. No other team is likely to be willing to pay James $5M next year either, so no team will trade anything to the Cardinals for his rights unless they know they can work out a restructured contract for him.

James can effectively choose where he wants to go by refusing to renegotiate except with the team or teams of his choice. And if he's able to work out agreeable terms with a team, there's no reason for that team to trade anything to the Cardinals for his rights, since they can just wait for him to be released.

...dave

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson