Lots of Nuggets from Jurecki and Sommers Today - 2/9/09

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Posted this in another thread but I thought it deserved its own thread, because it doesnt all prepresent the title of the thread.

Just to sum up the little nuggets.

Butler was given permission to interview here. If we can work out a contract its pretty much a done deal. Pendy was surprised by the decision. MJ stated that Wiz pretty much told him that two years ago he really wasnt able to bring in his guys like he wanted to but now he can, so no hard feelings. Pendy had one year left on his deal that we will still pay him minus what ever he makes in in 2009 with another job.

QB Coach Jeff Rutledge was either let go or wasnt re-signed, not sure which or why.

Word is that Haley wants to bring in Running backs coach Carthon as his OC and Quality Control coach Dedric Ward as his WR coach. Which Wiz probably wont block.

Stated that rumor is that Wiz wants to move Mike Miller(i think he said Mike Miller) to the vacant QB coach and Dedric Ward to WR coach, so Dedric Ward may not be given permission to leave since we are selves will be promoting him apparently.

Rumored the Russ Grimm is the locker room leader to become the next OC.

So if all of the rumors happen we will need -

OL coach or at minimum an assistant for Grimm since he will have 3 duties on his table,
RB coach,
maybe a QB coach or a WR coach depending on what happens with Ward,
Quality Control Coach.

Screw the comments from Boldin that got everyone happy about him softening his stance, But Drew was in town today and Boldin Told Drew to tell the Cards and Drew did in fact tell the Cards that Boldin will not even listen to any offers so dont even bother trying to give him one, and to trade him now. No interest what so ever in a new deal.

From Sommers - A couple of other things with Drew Rosenhaus in town. Besides telling the Cards about Boldin and to Cut James sooner rather then later he was most likely here so he could start the process of working out a new deal for one of or all of - Antonio Smith, Dockett, and Watson.

And this nugget from Sommers. He was told by Warners Agent that he will be in town this week to start the negotiations for re-signing Warner early this week.

OP
OP
joeshmo

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Please dont let this become a bash Boldin thread. There are plenty of those around, and there are a ton of other big nuggets to talk about in this thread beside Boldin.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I liked Rutledge, wonder what happend there

Probably want to bring someone in who can really develop Leinart.

I love Warner, but given all that is going on I am starting to think "you know, Leinart never got to play with the O line working as well as they did this year..."

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Getting Butler would we a hell of a catch.

Disappointed that Rutledge didn't get retained. He was a factor in Warner's big season.

I don't really want Grimm at OC. I want to see the O-line continue to improve.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Very good info, thanks for posting it joe. Was there any mention of what will be done with the remaining defensive staff? IIRC Whiz brought many, if not all, of those guys in when he came here.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Thanks Joe...very interesting stuff. Man, for a team that just went to the Super Bowl the flux surrounding the team is remarkable.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great stuff Joe. Thanks for the recap! :thumbup:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great update, thanks Joe.

Happy to hear that Butler could be our DC.

Mixed feelings about Grimm as the OC, like him as the OL coach. Surprises me that he would want the OC. However could be his ticket to becoming a HC.

Warner will be back for sure. Wait and see on all the other negotiations.

bleedingred

Registered
Reaction score
Probably want to bring someone in who can really develop Leinart.

I love Warner, but given all that is going on I am starting to think "you know, Leinart never got to play with the O line working as well as they did this year..."

Doesn't Leinart have a big bonus due this year? If so and Warner re-signs, how do we keep them both?

We have all of the right problems this year...it's gonna be one heck of an off season.

Goober Man

Ultra Vida Guerra Mojo
Reaction score
Great update, thanks Joe.

Happy to hear that Butler could be our DC.

Mixed feelings about Grimm as the OC, like him as the OL coach. Surprises me that he would want the OC. However could be his ticket to becoming a HC.

Warner will be back for sure. Wait and see on all the other negotiations.
From what I understand with Grimm possibly being the OC it would be more of a title thing with Whise calling the plays.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Its nice to see that Boldin thinks he has all the power in this deal...

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't Leinart have a big bonus due this year? If so and Warner re-signs, how do we keep them both?

We have all of the right problems this year...it's gonna be one heck of an off season.

His bonus is due the season after this one, not this season. If we resign Kurt, and he performs at the same level, we'll deal with Matt then. If we don't, Matt's deal will be restructured before that huge bonus. If Kurt comes back, but gets hurt or falters, Matt will play and we restructure still.

Not too worried about any of that. We are set at QB as long as we don't do anything silly like trade Leinart.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His bonus is due the season after this one, not this season. If we resign Kurt, and he performs at the same level, we'll deal with Matt then. If we don't, Matt's deal will be restructured before that huge bonus. If Kurt comes back, but gets hurt or falters, Matt will play and we restructure still.

Not too worried about any of that. We are set at QB as long as we don't do anything silly like trade Leinart.
I love our QB situation just like you, but I dont get the first part of your post there.

If Kurt plays lights out this coming year and stays healthy why on Earth would any team trade for Matt and his 15 million dollar salary? He is in a win-win here. There is no reason he would restructure without even playing IMO.

The only way he restructures is if for one reason or another he becomes the starting QB this year and plays his tail off (which I think he will when given the chance). He would then extend his deal before going into it's final year next season, but he wouldn't lose any $. It would be he same exact thing we went through with Fitz last year. Hopefully Graves will bend over a little quicker this time and not waste the whole offseason only to give the player exactly what they asked for in the first place.

The only ways the team can escape giving him 15 million in 2010 is to cut him prior to that and just concede defeat in that they completely wasted the 10th pick in the '05 draft.

I have been 1 of about 10 Kurt supporters on this board for the past few years, but I have no problem saying that Matty needs to see the field ASAP IMO. Kurt has been great, but his wife realy wants him gone and women have a way of getting their way. I just dont think one more year out of Kurt justifies giving up on our supposed QBOTF. Not putting Leinart in this year could very possibly have us sitting with BSP atop the depth chart after the season. And no Mitch, that isn't a good thing.

Last edited:

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
Joe, what exactly are the duties of a Quality Control Coach? IMO, if Butler was given the okay to interview here, things should happen quickly. What a team Whiz, Grimm and Butler would make in providing steady leadership in the season ahead.

I would think the QB coach, if it is Mike Miller, biggest job would be to ensure Leinart is ready to take the field if Warner is hurt. IMO, Kurt is a Cardinal for as long as he wants to play.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like hearing that we are going to have a chance to get Butler.

I am not so sure about Grimm being the OC or Wiz calling plays again. But we do need to find someone that Warner can work with. I am thinking Warner is definitely coming back.

bleedingred

Registered
Reaction score

Thanks for clearing that up.

pinnacle

Reaction score
Seems like...just my theory...we have some leverage here with Drew Rosenhaus. Based on the above....we have five players that he is expecting to get "new contracts" for - Boldin, Watson, dansby, Smith and James. In theory...we hold the cards (pun intended) on four of the five...and maybe all five depending on how you look at it..... Watson, Boldin and James are under contract for next season. Dansby....or Smith..in theory..could either be franchised. I know...Smith will not be franchised.....but in theory he could be. So....if we wanted to be jerks and create alot of drama/potential distractions - we could make Boldin, James and Watson live up to there contracts and franchise Dansby...which would only allow Smith to get a new big contract that agents love and make alot of money off of. Granted...it would be ugly.....but Drew is not exactly in a great spot with the Cardinals on his players. I know...each player is completely indepedent and has nothing to do with each other.....but maybe somewhere in that devious scheming mind of his.....perhaps...he may realize..he needs to work with us or little or we could prevent four of his five players from getting new contracts this offseason if we really wanted to.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
From the AZ Rep...

One possible replacement for Pendergast is reportedly telling colleagues he's staying in his current job. Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler is telling people in the Steelers organization that he's staying, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watson needs a new deal. He is going to establish himself as one of the premier NTs in this league next year and we need to lock him down before that happens and we lose him or pay through the nose in FA.

A. Smith just wants to go to the highest bidder and I suggest we let that happen. Dansby is a stud and a leader. I stopped hating on him a while ago. All he does is produce. He needs to be retained IMO.

Boldin can bring me a first and second round pick and I am happy. We could really better our team by dealing him. Does he really do more for this team than a Max Unger and Knowshon Moreno would? His leaving would also give us money to pursue a quality pass rusher or CB via FA.

I say see if we cant get a 6th or 7th rounder for Edge. Somehing is better than nothing. I would never let a future HOF who is under contract leave with no compensation. Someone out there wants him and will pay for it IMO.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Joe, what exactly are the duties of a Quality Control Coach? IMO, if Butler was given the okay to interview here, things should happen quickly. What a team Whiz, Grimm and Butler would make in providing steady leadership in the season ahead.

I would think the QB coach, if it is Mike Miller, biggest job would be to ensure Leinart is ready to take the field if Warner is hurt. IMO, Kurt is a Cardinal for as long as he wants to play.
Quality Coaches from what I gathered scout teams and break down film. They don't have one true position on the staff. They do a lot of different stuff. It's kind of like an itern position.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will continue to support Boldin he is a great wr and we need him on the team next year to have a shot at getting to the sb. I mean don't get me wrong Breaston is a great young wr but he won't get the attention Boldin gets and teams will just double team triple team fitz anytime we play someone. As for Leinart meh bring Warner back we need a qb with a cannon arm for our wr's

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If we can get the right deal for Boldin, we need to trade him. No reason to make this situation any worse by holding onto him just because we can.

I like the idea of bringing Butler in, however I will believe it when I see it.

I don't mind Grimm taking over the offensive coordinator spot mainly because it should force the team to get him an assistant to help him with the offensive line. This team needs to start grooming a replacement sooner rather than later.

Our quarterback situation is great right now.

A Smith is gone and has been for a while now. Makes you wonder if the team saw this coming when they were drafting last year.

I think that we should extend Watson and Rolle as soon as possible. You could argue that now is the time to buy low, so to speak.