Lonzo Ball

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yep you were right for sure. They in fact just made a trade trading russell and Mozgov to the Nets for Brook Lopez, and the 27th overall pick.

Wait, doesn't that mean they're picking Ball and traded Russell because they figured he'd be redundant with Ball coming in ?

I'm not questioning that the Lakers will take Ball, but I always thought that Ball and Russell would be a good fit so I don't really see how trading Russell increased the probability of Lakers' taking Ball.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not questioning that the Lakers will take Ball, but I always thought that Ball and Russell would be a good fit so I don't really see how trading Russell increased the probability of Lakers' taking Ball.

They now need a point guard. Likely FA targets next offseason Paul George and Lebron James play the same position as Jackson. Ingram also plays the 3. Having a point guard who's a great distributor and doesn't need/want to shoot a lot is a great fit next to their potential line-up

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm not sure how this scenario would come about, but hypothetically, who here would take Ingram for the #4?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Trading Russell leaves them with one less PG so the Lakers need to draft a PG... right?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm not sure how this scenario would come about, but hypothetically, who here would take Ingram for the #4?
I'd consider it. Was highly touted last year, plays position of need, has great size for position. I almost dismiss last season as he played on a dysfunctional team that didn't seem to want to develop him.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I know it's a hypothetical but who would LA want at 4 more than Ingram? Unless reports of them really liking Jackson are true. Maybe Magic wants his own guys, not from the previous front office? I don't see how it makes sense for LA.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I know it's a hypothetical but who would LA want at 4 more than Ingram? Unless reports of them really liking Jackson are true. Maybe Magic wants his own guys, not from the previous front office? I don't see how it makes sense for LA.

Maybe they trade the #2 for George and then want the #4 to take Fox? So basically they'd be trading Ball and Ingram for George and Fox.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe they trade the #2 for George and then want the #4 to take Fox? So basically they'd be trading Ball and Ingram for George and Fox.

I think it's pretty clear LA isn't giving up the #2 for PG when they can just wait a year and sign him. That would be like NY trading for Carmelo all over again except NY made the trade near the deadline. They couldn't even wait 6 months.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saw this video with Ball from ESPN's Sport Science where he passes the ball through a moving car's windows. They also breakdown his speed passing the ball early in the video. The car pass is at 1:40 in the video, it's only a 3 minute video in total though.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think it's pretty clear LA isn't giving up the #2 for PG when they can just wait a year and sign him. That would be like NY trading for Carmelo all over again except NY made the trade near the deadline. They couldn't even wait 6 months.

I don't think it's that simple. If they are trying to create a super team (with OG and Lebron), they need to clear salary. Without looking it up, I don't think they'll have enough to sign both. If they can trade for PG, they should lose some salary in the process.

To clarify, I don't think they are trading #2, but I just wanted to point out the possibility of the Lakers trying to create a super-team.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Sounds like LA getting really old quite quickly. I'd prefer Boston's path if I were a fan.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I wonder if we could offer Bledsoe, future Miami picks and taking on some salary in exchange for #2 in some three-team scenario between Indiana, LA, and Phoenix. LA sends us their #2, we send them Bledsoe. They send Ingram to Indiana, and we add Miami picks. We take on some additional salary to help the Lakers. Lakers get PG and salary relief, Indiana gets Ingram and a couple of picks. We get #2 while keeping #4. Jackson and Ball for Bledsoe and Miami picks.

EDIT:
This is purely stream of consciousness, and not a well thought-out proposal.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if we could offer Bledsoe, future Miami picks and taking on some salary in exchange for #2 in some three-team scenario between Indiana, LA, and Phoenix. LA sends us their #2, we send them Bledsoe. They send Ingram to Indiana, and we add Miami picks. We take on some additional salary to help the Lakers. Lakers get PG and salary relief, Indiana gets Ingram and a couple of picks. We get #2 while keeping #4. Jackson and Ball for Bledsoe and Miami picks.

EDIT:
This is purely stream of consciousness, and not a well thought-out proposal.

I wouldn't give this up for #2. Wouldn't trading with the Celtics have been cheaper?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I wonder if we could offer Bledsoe, future Miami picks and taking on some salary in exchange for #2 in some three-team scenario between Indiana, LA, and Phoenix. LA sends us their #2, we send them Bledsoe.

They didn't trade Russell away for the privilege of replacing him with Bledsoe. Sorry.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Multiple reasons IMO the primary ones to me are Russell is a volume shooter, 40% overall 34-35 from 3 and he's a guy you somewhat dare to shoot 3's so those are not contested shots they're open shots. He's not a great athlete so he struggles to finish at the rim in traffic. Flashy passer but it doesn't lead to a ton of assists, and very TO prone for a relatively low assist PG. So if he's a 1, he's not very good and redundant if you draft Lonzo. If he's a 2, he's not the kind of 2 you want to pare with Lonzo at all, not a knockdown shooter, not an elite athlete who can finish those passes from Lonzo, and not a good defender which will be necessary since Lonzo is so raw defensively. Remember UCLA is the only point in Lonzo's career he's ever guarded other guards, in HS and AAU he was almost always the backline defender in a press rebounding and blocking shots and going for steals, it's going to take him awhile to become a good defender, he has good instincts, but he's going to need time. You can't pare him with another guy who's not a good defender either.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's that simple. If they are trying to create a super team (with OG and Lebron), they need to clear salary. Without looking it up, I don't think they'll have enough to sign both. If they can trade for PG, they should lose some salary in the process.

To clarify, I don't think they are trading #2, but I just wanted to point out the possibility of the Lakers trying to create a super-team.

Yeah I think that's in fact the plan, to trade for George so as you said they give up some salary in the trade. Plus you clinch that he's yours for now so you get longer to try and sign him to a long term deal

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
They didn't trade Russell away for the privilege of replacing him with Bledsoe. Sorry.

You really think Russell is better than Bledsoe by that much? I admit to not having watched the Lakers more than five or six times, but I don't remember anything special about Russell.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You really think Russell is better than Bledsoe by that much? I admit to not having watched the Lakers more than five or six times, but I don't remember anything special about Russell.

I think Russell has more value because he's still young and doesn't have Bledsoe's injury history. I really don't think anyone wants Bledsoe.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think Russell has more value because he's still young and doesn't have Bledsoe's injury history. I really don't think anyone wants Bledsoe.

Fair enough. I am concerned with his injuries as well. I do think LeBron (future GM of the Lakers) would want him.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

I don't think this is true. He may not have lotto value but I know there are teams that want him. His PER was 21 last year. He is currently still the Suns best player.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think this is true. He may not have lotto value but I know there are teams that want him. His PER was 21 last year. He is currently still the Suns best player.

In 2011 San Antonio traded George Hill to Indy for the #15 pick that ended up being Kawhi Leonard. I'd have to think Bledsoe could at least fetch similar to slightly better value.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
In 2011 San Antonio traded George Hill to Indy for the #15 pick that ended up being Kawhi Leonard. I'd have to think Bledsoe could at least fetch similar to slightly better value.
I guarantee the 15the pick in this draft will never be worthy of holding Kawhi Leonard's jock. But yeah, 15 seems about right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guarantee the 15the pick in this draft will never be worthy of holding Kawhi Leonard's jock. But yeah, 15 seems about right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There will be an all-star, maybe even an all-nba player picked in the middle of the first round of this draft somewhere. There are just too many intriguing players. The trick is figuring out which one it is.