Longtime fans: Why didn’t these high picks work out?

Bobster

Veteran
Reaction score
Alvan Adams was a very good player for the course of his career - he just had his minutes limited by John MacLeod (his system eventually evolved into playing everybody). He was a noth below Westphal and Davis, but he could shoot, pass, block shots, rebound, defend, pretty much anything you asked for except for grappling with the big guys. He just ran them to death though.

I will say this - Adams never did progress much after his rookie year, but then his rookie year was the last season before the merger and the NBA talent pool was much deeper after the merger.

Larry Schweikart

Free Agent
Reaction score
Comments on Issel was sort of my point in the long "Now the Story Can Be Told" thread. I honestly think the Alcindor loss just befuddled Jerry. Walk didn't work out.
Adams had great skill, but as pointed out here, was never bulky enough to play down low, and the attempt to "box him" with two really strong power forwards Kind of reminded me of Chicago with Tom Boerwinkle and Butterbean Love and Chet Walker.

Two good PFs do not = one great center. Throws the defensive schemes off, just everything has to be reworked. We saw it again with Nash/Soudamire. Great, great duo, but they could never overcome a Tim Duncan in the paint.

Latest posts

Staff online

• jf-08
    Administrator; Rules Creator

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tally Cardinal