Lindsay Lohan vs. E*Trade

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lindsay Lohan says ‘milkaholic’ baby is in her image
By Inside Track | Wednesday, March 10, 2010 | http://www.bostonherald.com | The Inside Track

It’s Lindsay Lohan vs. the E*Trade babies after the Hollywood hellcat filed a $100 million suit against the financial services company for portraying her as a “milkaholic” boyfriend stealer!

The 23-year-old Tinseltown trainwreck claims that a ditzy toddler appearing in one of the company’s popular talking baby ads is modeled after her and improperly invokes her “likeness, name, characterization and personality without permission.”

The ad, which debuted during Super Bowl XLIV in February, features a baby boy apologizing to his girlfriend for not calling her the night before. His excuse: He was working on his portfolio.

“That milkaholic Lindsay wasn’t over?” the baby girl demands just before another baby girl pops onscreen asking, “Milk-a-whaaat?”

Lohan filed the lawsuit Monday and claims the ad violated her rights under New York state civil-rights law.

“Many celebrities are known by one name only, and E*Trade is using that knowledge to profit,” Lohan’s lawyer, Stephanie Ovadia, said in a statement to the New York Post . “They’re using her name as a parody of her life. Why didn’t they use the name Susan? This is a subliminal message. Everybody’s talking about it and saying it’s Lindsay Lohan.”

A spokesperson for Grey Group, which produced the “milkaholic” commercial, claimed it’s all a misunderstanding.

The company, he said, “just used a popular baby name that happened to be the name of someone on the account team.”

Lohan’s lawsuit also seeks an injunction barring the spot from any further airings.

The former child star has had a long-running battle with the bottle. In 2007, Lohan was ordered to spend a day in jail, enroll in an alcohol education program and was put on probation for three years after admitting to drunken driving and cocaine possession.

Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/track/inside_track/view.bg?articleid=1238560

------------------------------------------------

Uh. Wow. :doi:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Fail. I heart those commercials.

Check the rules Shankapotumus!!!

I LOVE these commercials!!! The newer one with the kids on the airplane is awesome!!

number1.gif

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
They had a brief, and I mean brief discussion about this on the Today show this morning. Their legal corespondent was laughing his ass off of the notion that she is filing this lawsuit, saying that there are tens of thousands Lindsays in the world and they could be referring to anyone. I'm not a lawyer, but IMO this has no legal standing and she is inevitably going to have egg on her face.

EDIT: here is the commercial

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i'd hope not

what is the arguement here? ......... my identity is as an alcoholic so anytime someone uses the name lindsay in a context that includes alcohol it must be a reference to her?! ... just that one connection alone

maybe they didn't use Susan because they were afraid that Susan Cheever would sue...............

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
When I saw this story yesterday I had to double check to make sure the source wasn't 'The Onion'.

This 'news item' is a joke and not a funny one.

I'm thinking publicity stunt. either that or Ms. Lohan actually thinks the world revolves around her.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO the best part of these commercials is the voices. Brilliant casting.

(Just googled "voices E trade commercials" and found out that main-baby-guy voice is done by the director. He's a genius.)

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is just a way for her to admit she is a alcoholic and drug addict.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lindsay WISHES she were a known One-namer.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
I think the Bionic Woman, Lindsay Waggoner, needs to sue Lohan because she had the name first. And she's hotter....still.

What a farce. That skank needs to go into publicity detox. I've got the over/under at 5 years for her in the death pool....

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Bionic Woman, Lindsay Waggoner, needs to sue Lohan because she had the name first. And she's hotter....still.

And I can tell you she is a very, very nice person. Have met her on several occasions and she's tremendously down to Earth. She was even nice to my brother on location one day when she was eating an ice cream and he nearly ran her over when she stepped in front of his truck. She just waved and said, "Hi, Peter!" :) (There are actors who would have had his job for that.)

O.K. Carry on.......

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard