Life insurance questions

Discussion in 'Finance, Investments, and Careers' started by Russ Smith, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

God parents are generally responsible for making sure their godchild is brought up according to the parents' faith. At least, that's how I've always understood it. Simply responsible for religious upbringing (I also believe in the Catholic faith, that duty is theirs regardless of whether the parents are living or not).

Jersey Girl likes this.
  2. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIMâ„¢ Contributor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godparent

Godparent: In both religious and civil views, a godparent tends to be an individual chosen by the parents to take an interest in the child's upbringing and personal development, and to take care of the child should anything happen to the parents.

I was raised this way. Was always told that if anything happened to both my mom and dad (before I became an adult) that my godparents would be responsible for me.

3. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

Naming someone a godparent without a corresponding legal document does little. Well it does show some interest on the part of the parents a court would not be bound by this

Years ago when my niece and nephew were kids, my sister and her husband legally named me the kids guardians in case of something happening to them

Brian in Mesa likes this.
  4. Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl Stand down Contributor

Wikipedia says it "tends" to be. I am in the same camp as Linda. My siblings and I had different sets of godparents, though my parents had no intentions of us being separated if something happened to them. They had a separate plan for that.

But, yes, a lot of people are of the opinion that godparents are to take care of the child(ren) if something happens to the parents. Guess it just depends on the people involved and what they decide.

So, yeah, we need to address that for Chloe.

Linderbee likes this.
  5. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

One of the reasons my sister named me the guardian in case of death was that I didn't have kids of my own, so she knew that I would make them top billing - not that she thought my other siblings would do a bad job, but since they had kids of their own, it could at times get awkward.

6. Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl Stand down Contributor

This is the main reason I don't want Chris's sister (who has four kids) to take Chloe if something happens to us.

Dback Jon likes this.