Liam Williams KOs Andrew Robinson in 88 seconds and calls out Demetrius Andrade to honour...

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It took just 88 seconds for Liam Williams, the World Boxing Organisation No 1 middleweight contender, to crumple challenger Andrew Robinson to the floor and retain his British title at the BT Studios in London. In his post-match celebrations he called WBO 160lbs champion Demetrius Andrade to honour his obligations and step into a ring together, in the UK or the USA. "I’m the mandatory challenger, so it is a case of when and where,” Williams said. “I'll fight him here, I'll fight him in the USA. I expect it will be over there," Williams told The Telegraph. "Give me the date, give me a place and I will be there. They need to start enforcing these situations with mandatory challengers, I believe, and I am pushing for it because I want my opportunity and I want it next." Williams' tilt at the WBO title has been slowed by the COVID-19 outbreak, but the Welshman, who has 18 knockouts from his 23 career victories, will not give up the pursuit. “I would have liked it to be this outing, but I am ticking over, I am staying in the gym and I am still learning. I’m only going to be better when the time does come.” A left hook to the body like a sharp shovel was the punch that floored Robinson, counted out by referee Marcus McDonnell, but Robinson was no match for the assault of blurring hooks that came at him after blood was split. An accidental clash of heads opened up a gash over the left eye of Robinson. And Williams, cut himself but not near his eyes, had seen blood and surged for a finish. “I wanted it to go a bit further to get a couple of rounds, get my range and look good and let some shots go,” 28-year-old Williams said. “But, we clashed heads and I saw the blood dripping, I thought it was a bad cut, so I felt I needed to end this now before it goes to a technical draw. So I thought ‘let’s get him out of there and go home’.” Indeed he did, setting about Robinson with the frightening vigour and viciousness which has become the trademark of the Welsh fighter. It has been ten months since Williams stopped Alantez Fox in similar fashion in a final eliminator for the WBO middleweight title. The world title desire burns in the Clydach Vale terror. However, Williams says he is prepared to take on another defence of his British title if the Andrade fight does not materialise soon. "As soon as the cut heals I am ready to go," he said. "I'd like it to be before Christmas but, realistically, will that happen? I doubt it. So, I am just going to stay ticking over, unless my promoter Frank Warren wants to give me another little run out before Christmas to win this title outright, because it is something I would like to do." In Paris, in the first ever major mixed martial arts event to take place in France, the all-British headliner saw Michael 'Venom' Page hand Ross Houston his first defeat, by decision under the banner of fight league Bellator MMA at its 248 event. Page, who has a highlight reel of spectacular knockouts, told The Telegraph that he "had to resort to Plan Z" and fight on the ground after complaining that he could not get a grip with his feet on the canvas to throw the kicks and strikes he is renowned for. The canvas was sprayed after every fight due to COVID-19 health and safety protocols.

Continue reading...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard