Let's talk about Andrew Thomas

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I have to admit...I 100% overlooked this guy. I never spent the time because early in the draft process he was clearly the #1 ranked OT and I didn't think he would make it to our pick (still might not actually).

Dude is impressive. Great run blocker, very good pass blocker, and nearly prototype height/arm length. When he does get beat on a pass rush (not often at all) he recovers.
  • He played against the best competition
  • Can play LT or RT
  • Mean streak and high effort
I have revised my OL rankings:

#1 - Andrew Thomas - can start at RT and move to LT if/when necessary.
#2 - Jedrick Wills - pro ready at RT. I don't know if he can play LT
>>>>Gap
#3 - Mekhi Becton - could start at RT this year and get by with mauling people. If Kugler can work with him, he has massive upside.

#1 OG - Tristan Wirfs - could start at RG this year and huge upside with Kugler. Same risk as Becton (betting on the upside) for me but at a different position (and one that he hasn't played). He is nowhere near as sound as Thomas or even Wills. He reminds me of a more athletic DJ Humphries. Inconsistent. **I guess I am testing the new be nice policy on ASFN. Sorry. :)

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
last October on this board: Andrew Thomas! Andrew Thomas!

today: meh

I think he is a good player

I have no idea if he is the best or the worst of the 4 OTs

I do know that he put two years of film down at LT in the SEC which I would think sets him apart from the other three

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'd be very happy with him. I have to say this much, I defer to the expertise of others on which of the OTs is best. I can see an argument for any of them.

At the end of the day, I know some don't see value in drafting an RT as you're only "supposed" to invest this highly in an LT, but I think that's looking a bit too far down the road. We have DJ, and we have a tendency to bounce guys around to too many different positions instead of letting them hone their craft.

It's hard to dislike a guy who spent the whole year highly regarded, only to start slipping once people started to poke and prod him from a workout standpoint.

Wirfs I probably like the most - I'm fine with him testing out RT and OG, and if we feel he's really dominant at guard compared to tackle, we don't have to worry about replacing Sweezy.

Wills probably is the least exciting overall in terms of ability to move spots, or having elite-level traits, but he might have the most immediate impact.

I like the idea of giving Kugler Becton's overwhelming high ceiling and letting him coach him up.

This will be an interesting one to debate for a long time if we go OT at 8.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have to admit...I 100% overlooked this guy. I never spent the time because early in the draft process he was clearly the #1 ranked OT and I didn't think he would make it to our pick (still might not actually).

Dude is impressive. Great run blocker, very good pass blocker, and nearly prototype height/arm length. When he does get beat on a pass rush (not often at all) he recovers.
  • He played against the best competition
  • Can play LT or RT
  • Mean streak and high effort
I have revised my OL rankings:

#1 - Andrew Thomas - can start at RT and move to LT if/when necessary.
#2 - Jedrick Wills - pro ready at RT. I don't know if he can play LT
>>>>Gap
#3 - Mekhi Becton - could start at RT this year and get by with mauling people. If Kugler can work with him, he has massive upside.

#1 OG - Tristan Wirfs - could start at RG this year and huge upside with Kugler. Same risk as Becton (betting on the upside) for me but at a different position (and one that he hasn't played). He is nowhere near as sound as Thomas or even Wills. He reminds me of a more athletic DJ Humphries. Inconsistent. **I guess I am testing the new be nice policy on ASFN. Sorry. :)

None of these guys is displacing anyone on the line in 2020, short of injury. IMO.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
None of these guys is displacing anyone on the line in 2020, short of injury. IMO.
With the current situation, you might be right, but does that particularly matter if they develop into a key piece protecting Kyler Murray years into the future?

Next year we're going to have to figure out what to do on the entire right side of the line, and I'd rather have a guy already in place for what should be the optimal year for the Cardinals to push for a championship. Very few upcoming free agents in 2021 on the OL inspire much confidence in me.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

If you want a tackle, start with Jedrick Wills. The difference in their technique is mind blowing.

Wills is a much better OT from a technical perspective right now. Watch when Voch Lombardi gets to pass sets for Andrew Thomas and you see where a guy like Chandler Jones would probably get 3 sacks on him right now.

OP
OP
TheCardFan

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Wills would.

I am thinking Marcus Gilbert signing was a smokescreen/back-up plan. He can be cut for 150k dead money...that is nothing.

We don't get an OT...he is a great back-up plan to compete with Murray. If we do, Murray is a solid swing tackle that is cost controlled for 2 years.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I am thinking Marcus Gilbert signing was a smokescreen/back-up plan. He can be cut for 150k dead money...that is nothing.

We don't get an OT...he is a great back-up plan to compete with Murray. If we do, Murray is a solid swing tackle that is cost controlled for 2 years.

The responsible move at any roster spot is to have multiple options before the draft.

Justin Murray and Marcus Gilbert aren't ideal, but it's not like having D'Anthony Baptiste either.

The Cardinals have legitimate starters at almost every roster spot now, if not all. So that means they can let the draft come to them and take the BPA.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I started out as a Thomas guy, but started reading what the better scouts thought of him and moved to Becton/Wirfs.

Now I'm a solidly Wills guy because Wills is just so technically sound RIGHT NOW. That means we arent relying on him to improve technique to be able to play, hes already really good.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The responsible move at any roster spot is to have multiple options before the draft.

Justin Murray and Marcus Gilbert aren't ideal, but it's not like having D'Anthony Baptiste either.

The Cardinals have legitimate starters at almost every roster spot now, if not all. So that means they can let the draft come to them and take the BPA.
I think signing Gilbert was a smart move.

I don't like Murray at all, but now I can breathe easier if we take a defender that drops, because at least he's got some competition. I'm fine with him as a backup.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With the current situation, you might be right, but does that particularly matter if they develop into a key piece protecting Kyler Murray years into the future?

Next year we're going to have to figure out what to do on the entire right side of the line, and I'd rather have a guy already in place for what should be the optimal year for the Cardinals to push for a championship. Very few upcoming free agents in 2021 on the OL inspire much confidence in me.

Right - and given that it's a redshift year, we can use one or more of our 3rd and 4th picks on O-lineman to be coached up.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

If you want a tackle, start with Jedrick Wills. The difference in their technique is mind blowing.

Wills is a much better OT from a technical perspective right now. Watch when Voch Lombardi gets to pass sets for Andrew Thomas and you see where a guy like Chandler Jones would probably get 3 sacks on him right now.
I am always impressed by Voch Lombardi. He's not just some YouTube analytics dude, he actually played OL in college IIRC. He mentioned that Thomas and his bookend teammate Isaiah Wilson maybe be victims of coaching with their technique because their flaws are similar. He noted a hand grab move they both seem to do that messes up their hand placement that can be easily corrected. Thomas may not be as athletic as Wirfs or Becton but I really like him. That is why I would be okay with a trade down from #8 if it means we wind up with Thomas and additional picks.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Right - and given that it's a redshift year, we can use one or more of our 3rd and 4th picks on O-lineman to be coached up.
Where we probably differ is that I don't believe that a 3rd or 4th round o-lineman is going to have the chops to be a long-term star. What I want the most is an elite offensive lineman, something we haven't ever had in AZ.

Now, I don't like PFF, we addressed this, and I don't think you do either, but looking at the top linemen through most of 2019, it seems the vast majority are drafted high: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-top-25-offensive-linemen-through-week-15

I'm not saying you can't hit on a later guy, but that well seems to dry up a lot faster than other positions when it comes to true top-level play.

On the other hand, some of the true WR superstars/major talents in this league (Thomas, Smith-Schuster, Hill, Godwin, Brown, Adams, Diggs, Golladay, Kupp, etc.) seem to come off the board in the 2nd/3rd/later.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gilbert's just hard to trust with a combination of age and injury history. He's only ever played in two full seasons and has a nearly 10-year career.

Durability is an issue and that why we have Murray.

32 is hardly ancient for O-lineman.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Thomas is the one OT that I would be comfortable taking over most of the other players that could be there at 8. If we are taking a OT at 8 I would like to be comfortable that he could move to the LT spot if Hump gets injured or doesn't sign beyond his current contract.

I like the idea that Thomas likely slides right in as the starting RT (hopefully he beats the other guys out in TC) and could be ready to move to the left whenever needed.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Where we probably differ is that I don't believe that a 3rd or 4th round o-lineman is going to have the chops to be a long-term star. What I want the most is an elite offensive lineman, something we haven't ever had in AZ.

Now, I don't like PFF, we addressed this, and I don't think you do either, but looking at the top linemen through most of 2019, it seems the vast majority are drafted high: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-top-25-offensive-linemen-through-week-15

I'm not saying you can't hit on a later guy, but that well seems to dry up a lot faster than other positions when it comes to true top-level play.

On the other hand, some of the true WR superstars/major talents in this league (Thomas, Smith-Schuster, Hill, Godwin, Brown, Adams, Diggs, Golladay, Kupp, etc.) seem to come off the board in the 2nd/3rd/later.

I don't see elite in this O-lineman class - but do think that Lamb and Jeudy have special talents that fit nicely in today's game, and KK's offence.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Durability is an issue and that why we have Murray.

32 is hardly ancient for O-lineman.
A fully healthy 32, sure. Someone who has dealt with injuries his entire career has a pretty significant red flag at that age when you wonder how much he can come back.

I don't like Murray as a player, so it doesn't make me rest easy with the prospect of Gilbert missing time.

You and I don't see eye to eye on the OL, which is fine. I think it's bad. And not to put words in your mouth, I feel you think it's at least adequate.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose