legend of drizzt by R.A. Salvatore

the donald

Reaction score
has anybody here read the series?

http://www.rasalvatore.com/bookstore/#RASBooks?selection=7

it is a pretty good read, it doesn't compare to some of the classic books, but it is a long series of books that can keep you occupied for a while. and the sword fights are spectacular. it is also a smaller version of the forgotten realms, but i find myself having trouble reading the other authors works, i am trying to read ed greenwood, but his character (elminister) is just way too powerful for my taste.

i have a few other series i have read that i don't see on here, but i do not want to clutter the board with stuff nobody may care about.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read the original series of three. Never read more.

When it comes to that genre though, Salvatore and Weis/Hickman are by far the best.

OP
OP
T

the donald

Reaction score
I read the original series of three. Never read more.

When it comes to that genre though, Salvatore and Weis/Hickman are by far the best.

what 3? the dark elf trilogy, or the icewinddale trilogy?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the dark elf trilogy...I tried to read icewind dale but couldn't keep with it.

Read the Dragonlance trilogy and the Twins trilogy.

That's about it...I tried other authors and didn't like any of them.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
the dark elf trilogy...I tried to read icewind dale but couldn't keep with it.

Read the Dragonlance trilogy and the Twins trilogy.

That's about it...I tried other authors and didn't like any of them.

The Twins trilogy is the best trilogy in the entire genre IMO.

I like the Forgotten Realms books especially the Drizzt ones and yes I have read them all, but they can't hold a candle to the Dragonlance world IMO.

That said they all pale in comparision to the "Death Gate Cycle", "Wheel of Time", "Sword of Truth", and "Song of Ice and Fire" series which are the best fantasy has to offer.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My youngest brother had a ferret named Drizzt.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like the Forgotten Realms books especially the Drizzt ones

How terribly geeky is it that when I play RPGs I always tend to name my character something like Raistlin Do'Urden?

Scary.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I like the Forgotten Realms books especially the Drizzt ones and yes I have read them all, but they can't hold a candle to the Dragonlance world IMO.

That said they all pale in comparision to the "Death Gate Cycle", "Wheel of Time", "Sword of Truth", and "Song of Ice and Fire" series which are the best fantasy has to offer.

I used to read the TSR Dungeons & Dragons books (Both Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance) back in the day, but it's difficult now. The writing is just too juvenile. Weis and Hickman are terrific young adult writers, but they can't really hold a candle to the stuff by Terry Goodkind, George RR Martin, and to a lesser extent, Robert Jordan.

The Death Gate Cycle was awful--I could never get into it. The Wheel of Time started off very well, perhaps some of the best the genre has to offer, but it went downhill fast because he decided not to tie anything up and drag everything out for several books. Virtually nothing happens in at least 6 of the released books. Goodkind's Sword of Truth series is up and down as well, great action punctuated by some over-inflated philosophical meanderings that just get boring after a while. The best right now, IMO, is George R.R. Martin, who has no fear when writing--he'll kill off main characters, both good and bad, left and right. Song of Ice and Fire is a terrific series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard