Laugh if you want…

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ, I don't want to single you out, as several posters have made the same assumption in this thread, but Murray don't have a say in which team he would go to. Or at least he doesn't need to have. The reason why some of the high-profile quarterbacks (Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson) do is that they have a no trade-clause in their contract. They can simply refuse to play for certain teams. Murray doesn't have that luxury, as he is still on his rookie contract, and I highly doubt that any team would include such a clause in a rookie contract. Thus, the Cards could send him to any team that they want, and he would have no say in it.

Of course he does if he says I want to be traded and we try to move him to a team he has no interest in, he can just hold out. The only leverage he would have to make us trade him would be a holdout so if we're trading him that would likely be why. He doesn't have a no trade but he can make it very hard for us to trade him to anybody but who he picks

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Of course he does if he says I want to be traded and we try to move him to a team he has no interest in, he can just hold out.
That is still the other teams' decision, not Murrays. And he is so extremely talented that I am sure there are teams willing to bet that money can make him happen, so that they can have his talent for a number of years. Murray have no say in it, as long as the Cards don't give him a say. Which they might, but that is a different story. :)

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Baker is nowhere near as talented as Murray but blaming him for OBJ being the pos he’s always been is laughable. If Beckham’s dad were a dad, his son wouldn’t be such an idiot.
One guy contributed to be a SB champion & is in-line for a solid payday while the other one doesn’t have a starting job & appears to be disliked by his own teammates & players around the league. Maybe it isn’t OBJ who is the idiot/pos.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s love Chopper. It’s more or less weighing options on what ifs and trying to stay somewhat competitive without breaking the bank or trading a bunch of picks.
Well...Baker wants to be paid. He makes WRs worse. He is a headache in terms of his soundbites.

Outside of kneeling, it sounds very similar to Kaepernick and at least he won a playoff game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Russ, I don't want to single you out, as several posters have made the same assumption in this thread, but Murray don't have a say in which team he would go to. Or at least he doesn't need to have. The reason why some of the high-profile quarterbacks (Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson) do is that they have a no trade-clause in their contract. They can simply refuse to play for certain teams. Murray doesn't have that luxury, as he is still on his rookie contract, and I highly doubt that any team would include such a clause in a rookie contract. Thus, the Cards could send him to any team that they want, and he would have no say in it.
He could refuse to sign an extension with his new team. There are a lot of ways high profile players can play the system.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He could refuse to sign an extension with his new team. There are a lot of ways high profile players can play the system.
Ouchie, that would be the other team's choice then. Murray still have nothing to say if both teams agreed to make the deal anyway. It is the other way around in that case - whereas the player has the choice if there is specifically a no-trade clause in his contract, the teams hold the power if that clause is not there.

Another matter is that it would be hypocritical to yell loud about a new contract, and then reject it when you get the chance. Sure, if several teams want a player, he can give his opinion and hope it is heard, but if only one team are willing to give him the blank check, and he then reject it, then everyone should call his bluff everytime he starts howling.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ouchie, that would be the other team's choice then. Murray still have nothing to say if both teams agreed to make the deal anyway. It is the other way around in that case - whereas the player has the choice if there is specifically a no-trade clause in his contract, the teams hold the power if that clause is not there.

Another matter is that it would be hypocritical to yell loud about a new contract, and then reject it when you get the chance. Sure, if several teams want a player, he can give his opinion and hope it is heard, but if only one team are willing to give him the blank check, and he then reject it, then everyone should call his bluff everytime he starts howling.
I think you’re ignoring the pragmatic mechanics of the league. I don’t think many teams are trading for him without speaking to him about an extension first. If he refuses to speak with them they aren’t going to trade for him. No team is trading for two years of any player if they aren’t confident he’ll sign the extension. That’s how a player puts the kabosh on a trade.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think you’re ignoring the pragmatic mechanics of the league. I don’t think many teams are trading for him without speaking to him about an extension first. If he refuses to speak with them they aren’t going to trade for him. No team is trading for two years of any player if they aren’t confident he’ll sign the extension. That’s how a player puts the kabosh on a trade.

I absolutely agree with that, Ouchie. It would almost be irresponsible to not talk to his agent first. My point is that it is still in the hands of the teams. I guess it is two sides of the same coin, as the result might be the same, but factually it is still the teams that hold all the power. Murray and his agent can yell all they want, but if the Cards want to move him to anyone, they can still do it, and likewise the other way around. By the way, I would not rule out that anyone would bet on a highly exciting young quarterback, and simply trade for him and hope he gets happy when he receive a big, fat contract.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave