Landry Shamet traded to suns for Javon Carter and 29th pick

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It isn't unprecedented to have a late round pick contribute to a playoff team. Immanuel Quickley did it last year with the Knicks.

Butler, if healthy, is an absolute steal in this draft and can contribute to just about any team. His whole negative is his health status.
McBride is already a top rate NBA defender with a 40+% from 3. He can contribute to just about any team as well.
Both of these guys, I predict, will be better than Landry. So yes, I'd rather have one of them AND Carter over Landry.

Guys like Ayo might take time to develop and are less like to show this year.

Also, while I'm not over the moon on the trade, I can't wait to see what Monty does with Landry. Monty has made every player I can think of play better under his tutelage. Landry is a hungry player who wants to help his team and he'll be a perfect fit here. I expect Landry to have his best year as a pro next year.

Butler had heart issues. That is serious enough I'd rather not gamble on. Go with the sure thing in Shamet. If it was another health issue, maybe, but heart issues aren't just a health issue teams take lightly.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Butler had heart issues. That is serious enough I'd rather not gamble on. Go with the sure thing in Shamet. If it was another health issue, maybe, but heart issues aren't just a health issue teams take lightly.

Fair point, but I maintain that McBride, Dosunmu, Cooper or even Ayayi would have contributed as much this year, only with a higher ceiling, with a longer team deal at a cheaper price, and with Carter remaining a potential trade chip for a much-needed big man.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Fair point, but I maintain that McBride, Dosunmu, Cooper or even Ayayi would have contributed as much this year, only with a higher ceiling, with a longer team deal at a cheaper price, and with Carter remaining a potential trade chip for a much-needed big man.
Well considering your track record on draft picks I'm confident JJ made the correct move.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Not quite. I am saying that Carter put up better numbers and played better defense than Shamet, so if Carter wasn't good enough for Monty to play in the playoffs, what makes anyone think Shamet would be?
Because he has earned playoff minutes with two other coaches. I guarantee if he shamet was on the Suns this year, he would have played over Moore.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Player for player Shamet is better than Carter but I don’t remember watching the Suns this year and thinking they need more shooting. Yes they were streaky at times but that’s basically the scouting report on Shamet. Money had a lot to do with this trade.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Because he has earned playoff minutes with two other coaches. I guarantee if he shamet was on the Suns this year, he would have played over Moore.

He earned playoff minutes with two other coaches playing worse basketball than Javon Carter...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Player for player Shamet is better than Carter but I don’t remember watching the Suns this year and thinking they need more shooting. Yes they were streaky at times but that’s basically the scouting report on Shamet. Money had a lot to do with this trade.

Money for what? Are we back to penny-pinching again?

Matt L

Reaction score
I'm a Gonzaga alum and I loved cheering for Ayayi but I maintain that he would not have contributed to this team in 2022. I think you're overating these guys just because they are rookies.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm a Gonzaga alum and I loved cheering for Ayayi but I maintain that he would not have contributed to this team in 2022. I think you're overating these guys just because they are rookies.

Actually, my issue is that I don't think Shamet brings anything to the table we couldn't already get from the likes of Moore and Galloway.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Future L-Tax implications. Carter and the 29th pick is about $5m going forward while Shamet is basically expiring.

Then so much for the BS Sarver was spewing yesterday about doing everything to win a championship, including paying the L-Tax.

If you are correct here, it looks like Sarver hasn't changed one bit from when he lost Joe Johnson from a championship contender over a matter of $5 million.

Also, if you are correct, how is this any different from when Sarver sold the draft pick that was Rajon Rondo?

Penny wise and Pound foolish.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You're basing this all on PER?

On the offensive end yes. It is a pretty telling analytic. The difference on the defensive end is obvious. Shamet isn't in the same universe as Carter defensively.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wish we got Nance but Noel would be nice. Bring back one if Craig/Nader for depth.

If we were going to trade the #29 pick, I would have much preferred to package it with Saric for Nance.

Matt L

Reaction score
Actually, my issue is that I don't think Shamet brings anything to the table we couldn't already get from the likes of Moore and Galloway.
I can't comment on Galloway but I thought Moore was really tentative the few minutes he got in during the Lakers and Clippers series. Now I haven't seen every shamet game but I thought he looked much more comfortable than E'Twan.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the offensive end yes. It is a pretty telling analytic. The difference on the defensive end is obvious. Shamet isn't in the same universe as Carter defensively.
I will say it again. It has no bearing whatsoever if Carter never gets off the bench. If he doesn't get off the bench he wasn't contributing defensively.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Don't worry guys there's still plenty of time to get a few more shooting guards in free agency.
We lost in the WCF because we got bullied, we need size. PERIOD Id rather have the center we drafted for NY honestly.
I'm sure Shamet is a lovely person. Is he the one that's gonna nut up and stand in front of Giannis or LessBron? Ummmm NO!
Its a nothing trade, if he plays 5 min a game I suppose its an upgrade from Jevon. But Jevon was a family member to this team and was very close with several key players.
We are not a better team by playing with the chemistry of the team for no real reason.

Here's to Shamet proving me wrong, he just needed Monte to blossom into the superstar I'm sure he is.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Landry Shamet is one of Monty's favorite people, not just players, in the league.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't like this trade.

RkPlayerFromToGMPPERTS%3PArFTrORB%DRB%TRB%AST%STL%BLK%TOV%USG% OWSDWSWSWS/48 OBPMDBPMBPMVORP
1Langston Galloway20152021445973311.6.523.528.1542.410.16.211.41.60.57.017.17.96.814.6.072-1.0-0.4-1.41.5
2Landry Shamet20192021193465710.0.589.730.1760.96.84.09.10.90.58.215.05.42.78.0.083-1.0-1.1-2.00.0

RkPlayerFromToGGSMPFGFGAFG%3P3PA3P%2P2PA2P%eFG%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS
1Langston Galloway201520214456221.92.97.3.3981.43.9.3701.53.5.430.4960.91.1.8160.52.02.41.60.70.10.61.68.2
2Landry Shamet201920211936924.13.07.3.4162.15.3.3970.92.0.467.5611.11.3.8340.21.61.81.60.50.20.72.09.2

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then so much for the BS Sarver was spewing yesterday about doing everything to win a championship, including paying the L-Tax.

If you are correct here, it looks like Sarver hasn't changed one bit from when he lost Joe Johnson from a championship contender over a matter of $5 million.

Also, if you are correct, how is this any different from when Sarver sold the draft pick that was Rajon Rondo?

Penny wise and Pound foolish.

That's just silly. Yes Sarver did say he knew they'd have to pay luxury tax to compete for a championship and they were willing to do it, he didn't say he was going to just throw money away without weighing the benefits against the cost. Carter isn't going to be the difference for us in winning anything, Shamet probably isn't either but we'll see.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Landry Shamet is one of Monty's favorite people, not just players, in the league.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ultimately this is why it easier to accept the trade for Shamet. Monty trusts him and will play him.

I'm not exactly sure why Carter fell out of favor but he did.