BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...nfl-mock-draft-10-raiders-pick-wr-jerry-jeudy

PICK 8

You must be registered for see images attach

Jedrick Wills - OT

School: Alabama | Year: Junior

Tackle depth in this draft allows the Cardinals an opportunity to let their free agents at the position walk and feel safe about landing a quality OT here.

Not the first knowledgeable guy I've seen who thinks it's not a big deal if Hump walks

It is a big deal to spend a 1st round pick to replace a guy that is already on your roster....

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is a big deal to spend a 1st round pick to replace a guy that is already on your roster....

He's not already on the roster. He's UFA.

The options are $56m over 4 years for a guy that at his very best is average or $23m over 4 years with the option of a 5th year for unproven talent but that should be better and cheaper if you get your homework right.

The better talent is worth the 1st alone, the massive cap saving which allows you to sign better players every year for the next 4/5 years is gravy.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A problem here is the assumption that the rookie will be better than Humphries.

During the last year, Humphries was indeed average but
Understand that using your highest draft capital where the floor
Must be average or better just risks your QB.
Breaking up an oline rarely leads to improvement

Perhaps this is why consistency is the hallmark of
League leading offensive linemen.
Annointing a rookie to be average and be consistent
Neither makes sense or will bring the improvement this team needs

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...nfl-mock-draft-10-raiders-pick-wr-jerry-jeudy

PICK 8

Jedrick Wills - OT

Tackle depth in this draft allows the Cardinals an opportunity to let their free agents at the position walk and feel safe about landing a quality OT here.

Not the first knowledgeable guy I've seen who thinks it's not a big deal if Hump walks
I would pass on the Road to let a starter leave to replace him with a rookie that hasn’t played a down in the NFL yet - especially at the 2nd hardest position to find quality players

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Not adverse to drafting a tackle at #8, but also feel like for continuity sake, we should at least tag DJ and keep most of the players from last season in the starting lineup. The weakest link on the line last season was J. Murray at RT, so we can do much better at that position.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A problem here is the assumption that the rookie will be better than Humphries.

During the last year, Humphries was indeed average but
Understand that using your highest draft capital where the floor
Must be average or better just risks your QB.
Breaking up an oline rarely leads to improvement

Perhaps this is why consistency is the hallmark of
League leading offensive linemen.
Annointing a rookie to be average and be consistent
Neither makes sense or will bring the improvement this team needs

The problem is assuming Hump will be better than a tackle at #8. I also don't understand the argument for not breaking up the line. How many O lines this year were the same as last year?

The Niners are in the SB. Joe Staley has played 7 games. McGlinchy has played 12. They have played thier last 6 without thier starting center. I don't think they have a starter missed less than 3 games.

The Chiefs have had it as bad. Eric Fisher has played 8. Duvernay-Tardif missed 2. Andrew Wylie missed 5. Rankin started 5 then went out for the year.

I don't think either team had more than 3 regular season games with thier starting 5.

Can anyone tell me the last time any team signed an obviously below average tackle to a top 5 extension? Resigned that is, not a FA from another team.

I can't think of any.

Last edited:

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
What about this as a possible option? Franchise tag DJ for next year as bit of a prove it with some of the concerns on him. Draft Wills to both groom for LT if DJ doesn't pan out in the tag year and also let him compete with Murray for RT this year. If both players work out it could give us a solid line in front of Kyler.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Not adverse to drafting a tackle at #8, but also feel like for continuity sake, we should at least tag DJ and keep most of the players from last season in the starting lineup. The weakest link on the line last season was J. Murray at RT, so we can do much better at that position.
Not singling you out, but it really shocks me how many people here that think getting the band back together from last year is enough, or a good move.

We didn't break into the top half of the league in a single overall offensive category.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why does this line need to stay together?

People keep using that argument then say replace Justin Murray. Which is it?

No other teams seem the slightest bit concerned about keeping thier 5 intact. They all sign and draft players every year that start right away. They care about getting better. Not staying the same.

Feels to me what people really want to say is they would be fine letting Hump go IF Justin Murray wasn't the RT.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
You franchise Humphries and draft a LT at #8. If Humphries doesn't like the idea of being tagged then tough, because this is how the game is played. One decent year doesn't get you top 5 or even a top 10, 4-5 year deal and in addition he hasn't been healthy in 4 of the last 5 years. In reality this makes the most sense because if Humphries turns out to be the real deal there will be a sizable amount of cap space becoming available if the team decides to part ways with David Johnson in 2021. Makes it easier to sign Humphries since letting go of Johnson frees up $9 million and only $3 million in dead cap according to Spotrac.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

PICK 8

Jedrick Wills - OT

There is 'depth' at OT, so that means the Cardinals then have to pick one in the top ten?... I do not think he knows what depth means :)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not every player review of Willis that I’ve read have been glowing.
You don’t take a cornerstone position like OT that isn’t a stone cold rock.

why have people soured on Thomas? The guy has played LT in a very tough conference. Is it possible the experts are Suddenly overthinking?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
There is 'depth' at OT, so that means the Cardinals then have to pick one in the top ten?... I do not think he knows what depth means :)
I think the concept here is that there's top level talent that is also deep. As of today, four OTs are in the conversation to go in the top 10, and there's even a chance we could have our pick of the litter depending on how things go at QB and otherwise. But it's kinda like even if we miss out on the first OT drafted, we don't have to panic and there will be a very good player there at the position still.

You franchise Humphries and draft a LT at #8. If Humphries doesn't like the idea of being tagged then tough, because this is how the game is played. One decent year doesn't get you top 5 or even a top 10, 4-5 year deal and in addition he hasn't been healthy in 4 of the last 5 years. In reality this makes the most sense because if Humphries turns out to be the real deal there will be a sizable amount of cap space becoming available if the team decides to part ways with David Johnson in 2021. Makes it easier to sign Humphries since letting go of Johnson frees up $9 million and only $3 million in dead cap according to Spotrac.
I do agree that this is probably the best course of action. I do worry about Hump deciding to sit out though.

CardinalCovfefe

Veteran
Reaction score
He's not already on the roster. He's UFA.

The options are $56m over 4 years for a guy that at his very best is average or $23m over 4 years with the option of a 5th year for unproven talent but that should be better and cheaper if you get your homework right.

The better talent is worth the 1st alone, the massive cap saving which allows you to sign better players every year for the next 4/5 years is gravy.

Not yet. Your attempt at clairvoyance may or may not be accurate as far as the numbers, also. I'm cool with letting him leave if some team decides to $$ whip him, but there's a possibility that won't happen. Not like he's Calais.
Your assertion that he's only worth 23/4 is silly though.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not every player review of Willis that I’ve read have been glowing.
You don’t take a cornerstone position like OT that isn’t a stone cold rock.

why have people soured on Thomas? The guy has played LT in a very tough conference. Is it possible the experts are Suddenly overthinking?

Here's a summary of what I've seen and read

Wills - Elite feet. Has the best feet by far. Superb power and hands. Equally great in pass pro and run blocking. No real technical weaknesses. Only real downside is can he switch to LT?

Wirfs - superb athlete and strength. Quick feet but technique needs a lot of work. Physically dominant. Huge upside. Some say he is an elite pulling guard in the NFL because of his physical traits but weaker pass pro sets. Has the potential to be the best but not there yet.

Thomas - superb run blocker. Great in pass pro but can be top heavy and reach. The least comfortable playing in space of the 3. I think has fallen because people wonder how much growth potential he has left, but then he's already very good. I think people are over thinking him. His small issues are fixable.

None of them have any injury concerns. All offer something different but are overall very even.

Wirfs might actually be the safest bet because at worst you are getting a likely elite guard. If you want a RT then it's Wills. If you want a sure fire LT then Thomas.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not yet. Your attempt at clairvoyance may or may not be accurate as far as the numbers, also. I'm cool with letting him leave if some team decides to $$ whip him, but there's a possibility that won't happen. Not like he's Calais.
Your assertion that he's only worth 23/4 is silly though.

I'm not saying he's worth 23/4. That's what a tackle at #8 would cost compared to Humps predicted 4/56.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not quite right to look at the season statistics. If you’re going to do that I think you have to break it down into 4 games. This offense was a lot different the last 4 games than it was the first 4 games.

First, starting from scratch we had to give it time. I remember a lot of posters talking about how the league would catch up with the gimmick offense after they got it on tape.

Actually it turned out quite the opposite. Kingsbury adapted and “caught up” with the league. Running game blossomed. Sacks went down. Points went up.

That is EXACTLY what we all hoped for when we started the season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard