LAL/GSW to face PHO

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not worried about the Warriors at all, if they somehow pull off the upset.

The Lakers on the other hand, we already have seen that they are a terrible matchup for us at full strength. We really need GSW to win this one.
Davis vs ayton...... yea gl da

Suns gonna need book to go bonkers vs la

Praying for the best but anxious as hell as a fan enjoying these suns stress free days as much as possible lol

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The funny thing is if I had to choose a star for the Lakers to come up lame with injury, it wouldn’t be LeBron. It would be AD. He destroys Ayton on offense and his size plus Drummond can stifle our offense totally shutting down the paint. LeBron/Drummond will have more issues on defense where we could take better advantage of Drummond.

this just sucks if they’re our matchup.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No faith in their own team...Suns in 6. :cool:

I have faith in my team. Against any other team in the West, I’d call for a series win. But I’m also realistic and they’re just a matchup nightmare for us.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I have faith in my team. Against any other team in the West, I’d call for a series win. But I’m also realistic and they’re just a matchup nightmare for us.
I really don't see how it's a foregone conclusion at this point. We have multiple young player who we don't know if they will shrink or step up under the pressure. That will have a lot to do with how well we deal with the Lakers. Just have to wait and see at this point. Of course we know LeBron and AD will come to play so if Book, Ayton, Bridges and Cam J don't come to play than we likely don't pull off the win.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I really don't see how it's a foregone conclusion at this point. We have multiple young player who we don't know if they will shrink or step up under the pressure. That will have a lot to do with how well we deal with the Lakers. Just have to wait and see at this point. Of course we know LeBron and AD will come to play so if Book, Ayton, Bridges and Cam J don't come to play than we likely don't pull off the win.
No one said it’s a foregone conclusion but you line up the facts:

lakers #1 defense in league

lakers have the first and second best players in the series

suns have the third and fourth best players in the series

lakers have a LOT of size, and size bothers the suns

lakers have a lot of playoff and championship experience

suns have little playoff experience

Suns strength this season has been a bench that outperforms opposing bench units, but rotations tend to shrink in playoffs sometimes negating that type of advantage

playoffs tend to slow in pace, which favors suns

lakers likely to have a big advantage at the free throw line

suns should be relatively healthy

Suns have homecourt advantage, but will that make a difference with emptier arenas?

Lebron James is a total freak of nature

when viewing all that the weight of facts tends to favor a team that can send waves of defenders at our top offensive weapons and waves of size to keep us outta the paint

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I feel exactly the same. I feel like the Suns would beat everyone else in the conference.

That's the good thing I guess, if they do somehow win against the Lakers, I will feel confident they are going to the finals. But I fear the Nets twice as much as the Lakers.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You also didn’t see how the Jazz beating Sacramento was a forgone conclusion. And that the Blazers wouldn’t beat the Nuggets who had nothing to play for. You always look at the absolute brightest side of the Suns and I don’t begrudge you feeling that way. In fact, I kinda admire it. But it doesn’t fit with reality, IMO.

A series is about matchups. The Lakers have the advantage in size, athleticism and experience. And one of the best players of all time, who’s literally never lost a first round series in his 16 year career. Oh, and a Big Man who will destroy at both ends of the court. That’s why it’s a foregone conclusion, IMO.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
You also didn’t see how the Jazz beating Sacramento was a forgone conclusion. And that the Blazers wouldn’t beat the Nuggets who had nothing to play for. You always look at the absolute brightest side of the Suns and I don’t begrudge you feeling that way. In fact, I kinda admire it. But it doesn’t fit with reality, IMO.

A series is about matchups. The Lakers have the advantage in size, athleticism and experience. And one of the best players of all time, who’s literally never lost a first round series in his 16 year career. Oh, and a Big Man who will destroy at both ends of the court. That’s why it’s a foregone conclusion, IMO.
Knew you would try to throw that back in my face...

I admitted already that I forgot about all their injuries (Fox and Haliburton in particular). Never would have given them a chance if I had realized it at the time.

I will admit that I was definitely off on the Portland/Denver game. Despite what Jokic said they were never going to go out of their way to win that game.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knew you would try to throw that back in my face...

I admitted already that I forgot about all their injuries (Fox and Haliburton in particular). Never would have given them a chance if I had realized it at the time.

and the Nuggets? You were practically doing message board yoga trying to stretch for ways we could get the 1 seed. And the reason was pretty transparent... you wanted no part of the Lakers either.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
and the Nuggets? You were practically doing message board yoga trying to stretch for ways we could get the 1 seed. And the reason was pretty transparent... you wanted no part of the Lakers either.
Relook at my post.

Also of course I would much rather play anyone else because I'm not an idiot. They are definitely a tough matchup for us, but unlike you I don't think we have no chance of pulling off the upset. And I also don't see how pointing out possibilities and hoping they happen is equivalent to me doing message board yoga (whatever that means).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I keep reading that if (and that's a big IF) we get past the Lakers in the first round, it's Finals or bust for this team.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I would prefer the Suns play anyone other than the Lakers, but I think everything depends on what Suns team shows up. If the team that play defense shows up, they have a great shot at beating anyone, including the Lakers. If a team that doesn't play defense shows up, they are done.

As for the Lakers, it's probably better to play them now than in the WCF, Few of them are just coming back from various injuries, they haven't played together in a while, they are probably worse now than they will be for the duration of playoffs. Suns are probably more likely to beat them in the first round than in the WCF.

I think it really comes down to how the Suns play. To beat the Lakers, they have to be the number two offense in the league and a top-five defense. DA needs to step it up, Bridges has to play well on both ends of the floor, Crowder, Cam J, and Cam P have to have good offensive performances, Dario and Frank have to give you something. Monty also needs to figure out some strategies against the Lakers. I really wonder if he throws Moore and Galloway in for some minutes early. Perhaps try putting five three-point shooters on the floor and make their bigs defend on the perimeter? Alternatively, do you throw a running second unit and there and try to run the Lakers' second unit off the floor?

I think there are ways to win, but it will be rough. I would much rather face the Warriors, but I am not seeing the Warriors beating the Lakers. However, it is one game, so if Curry goes crazy and a few other guys step up, I suppose it's possible.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I keep reading that if (and that's a big IF) we get past the Lakers in the first round, it's Finals or bust for this team.

I tend to agree. If you beat the current champs, you are the favorite to win it all at that point.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would prefer the Suns play anyone other than the Lakers, but I think everything depends on what Suns team shows up. If the team that play defense shows up, they have a great shot at beating anyone, including the Lakers. If a team that doesn't play defense shows up, they are done.

As for the Lakers, it's probably better to play them now than in the WCF, Few of them are just coming back from various injuries, they haven't played together in a while, they are probably worse now than they will be for the duration of playoffs. Suns are probably more likely to beat them in the first round than in the WCF.

I think it really comes down to how the Suns play. To beat the Lakers, they have to be the number two offense in the league and a top-five defense. DA needs to step it up, Bridges has to play well on both ends of the floor, Crowder, Cam J, and Cam P have to have good offensive performances, Dario and Frank have to give you something. Monty also needs to figure out some strategies against the Lakers. I really wonder if he throws Moore and Galloway in for some minutes early. Perhaps try putting five three-point shooters on the floor and make their bigs defend on the perimeter? Alternatively, do you throw a running second unit and there and try to run the Lakers' second unit off the floor?

I think there are ways to win, but it will be rough. I would much rather face the Warriors, but I am not seeing the Warriors beating the Lakers. However, it is one game, so if Curry goes crazy and a few other guys step up, I suppose it's possible.

i really don’t buy the “this is the best time to play the Lakers” narrative. Right now, they are all fresh. They yanked the regular season, prob a couple games too long but they’ve now got everyone back and also basically had a preseason between the last two weeks to get ready for the playoffs and after winning tomorrow, will get another three days of rest before our game Sunday.

The longer the Lakers play, the more likely their injuries can pop back up, especially AD with his Achilles. But right now, they’re literally as healthy as they’re going to be before the wear and tear of the playoffs gets on them.

And what really doesn’t play to our favor facing them from the jump is we literally have ZERO playoff experience as a team and none from so much of our core. I’d actually feel better had we won two series and came in with a head of steam and playoff series wins under our belt before facing off against the defending champs.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
i really don’t buy the “this is the best time to play the Lakers” narrative. Right now, they are all fresh. They yanked the regular season, prob a couple games too long but they’ve now got everyone back and also basically had a preseason between the last two weeks to get ready for the playoffs and after winning tomorrow, will get another three days of rest before our game Sunday.

The longer the Lakers play, the more likely their injuries can pop back up, especially AD with his Achilles. But right now, they’re literally as healthy as they’re going to be before the wear and tear of the playoffs gets on them.

And what really doesn’t play to our favor facing them from the jump is we literally have ZERO playoff experience as a team and none from so much of our core. I’d actually feel better had we won two series and came in with a head of steam and playoff series wins under our belt before facing off against the defending champs.
You really are giving us no chance at all aren’t you?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Charles Barkley gets part of it right and part of it wrong. The Suns are an easier match up for the Lakers but the Jazz are not the better team at least in the regular season.

The Suns beat the Jazz 3-0 and twice with their regular starters.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media