LAL/GSW to face PHO

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me ask the “To be the best you’ve got to be the best!” and “We have to play them at some point anyway!” People a question:

If the Cardinals had won the 2008 Super Bowl, would they not have “been the best” because they didn’t have to play the defending champion Giants who lost before we had a chance to play them?

When the Giants lost to the Eagles in the Conference Semis, giving us HFA and an easier opponent in the NFC Title game, were you bemoaning the fact that we couldn’t “beat the best to be the best!” Or were you stoked because our path to a title just got a little more realistic and possible?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is what I am saying. I think we can beat any team in the league. We have the second best record in the league but people act like we are a weak team.

If we are so scared of the Lakers just play them now and get it over with. Why drag it out to the later rounds? I rather lose now and move on to football.

It really isn't about fear, it's just logic. This team would benefit from a prolonged playoff run and the Lakers are the worst possible matchup for those of us that want to see that happen. We've struggled against the Lakers for years and we've rarely faced their entire team.

It's even worse if you just look at how we do against AD. In the last 4 seasons and despite the fact he's been missing significant teammates we've only managed 2 wins out of 14 attempts. And that includes 2 seasons before he joined up with Lebron. I'm not saying we can't win a series against them but we can't win a series against a healthy Lakers squad playing to their level. That's not fear, it's simply an analysis driven opinion.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really isn't about fear, it's just logic. This team would benefit from a prolonged playoff run and the Lakers are the worst possible matchup for those of us that want to see that happen. We've struggled against the Lakers for years and we've rarely faced their entire team.

It's even worse if you just look at how we do against AD. In the last 4 seasons and despite the fact he's been missing significant teammates we've only managed 2 wins out of 14 attempts. And that includes 2 seasons before he joined up with Lebron. I'm not saying we can't win a series against them but we can't win a series against a healthy Lakers squad playing to their level. That's not fear, it's simply an analysis driven opinion.

good lord... 2-12 against AD the last four years? That is really rough. His eyes definitely light up like a pinball machine any time he plays us.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score

Wow, that doesn't help

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
guys get scared.

if we lose so what we lost to the Lakers but if we win then we get all the respect all the glory that comes with knocking out Lebron

if we win then you can say we got a chance against anybody.

we got a lot of decisions money wise coming up and we need to find out who’s who

So let’s do it
MACHO! MACHO! MAN! Finito’s gotta be a machoooooo man!

:rolleyes:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton can be our rim protector, or he can guard anthony Davis - he can't do both.

That is the Suns problem - he is the only player capabale of doing either of those jobs, but those are both critical against the Lakers.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the Suns to have a chance no matter who they face Deandre Ayton and Cam Johnson have to be healthy.

These are comments from Monty Williams in a Kellan Olson article at Arizona Sports:

“We believe so,” he said Tuesday. “We’re gonna do everything we can to have those guys ready. I don’t want to get too far ahead of today in relation to where we are and those guys, but we believe we are doing everything we can to have those guys ready for the playoffs and that’s our number one goal for those two guys.”

https://arizonasports.com/story/265...-ready-for-playoffs-as-suns-get-crucial-rest/

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let me ask the “To be the best you’ve got to be the best!” and “We have to play them at some point anyway!” People a question:

If the Cardinals had won the 2008 Super Bowl, would they not have “been the best” because they didn’t have to play the defending champion Giants who lost before we had a chance to play them?

When the Giants lost to the Eagles in the Conference Semis, giving us HFA and an easier opponent in the NFC Title game, were you bemoaning the fact that we couldn’t “beat the best to be the best!” Or were you stoked because our path to a title just got a little more realistic and possible?

you can only play who’s in front of you.

your confusing going out of your way and taking what comes your way. Those are different things.

it’s the Lakers so be it what better way to start the Suns era than ending Lebron’s

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Praying for warriors but i know with az sports luck they will lose ugh jeez lakers 7 gms tough

Hoping for the best scenario I'll be watching

Go suns!!

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Chuck is just wrong here. Suns are better than the Jazz - not by much but they are.

Jazz do match up a little better than the Suns against the Lakers, but not by much. I would still pick the Lakers against the Jazz.

I don’t think the Suns are better than Utah especially when they won more games with at least one of their all-star guards missing 40+ games. I’d take Utah’s defense in a 7 game series as the deciding factor.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think the Suns are better than Utah especially when they won more games with at least one of their all-star guards missing 40+ games. I’d take Utah’s defense in a 7 game series as the deciding factor.

it is pretty impressive that Utah won the best record in the league while missing Mitchell and Conley for 20 games each.

I think it’s a toss up matchup if it ever happens and I’ll go with CP3 being the SLIGHTEST of difference that would have us win out in a super close series.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ayton can be our rim protector, or he can guard anthony Davis - he can't do both.

That is the Suns problem - he is the only player capabale of doing either of those jobs, but those are both critical against the Lakers.
Right. Ayton/crowder will be hard pressed to effectively defend Davis/Drummond. It would be a different story if crowder could take either of them off the dribble.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For the Suns to have a chance no matter who they face Deandre Ayton and Cam Johnson have to be healthy.

These are comments from Monty Williams in a Kellan Olson article at Arizona Sports:

“We believe so,” he said Tuesday. “We’re gonna do everything we can to have those guys ready. I don’t want to get too far ahead of today in relation to where we are and those guys, but we believe we are doing everything we can to have those guys ready for the playoffs and that’s our number one goal for those two guys.”

https://arizonasports.com/story/265...-ready-for-playoffs-as-suns-get-crucial-rest/

Ayton will play it's not even a question. Sarver as much as said so.

Pretty sure Cam will play too - the question is will his shooting have improved. Kind of doubt it unfortunatley.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I overheard the tv (ATH) and Anthony Davis is listed as questionable. Probably doesn't mean much.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Get ready... Jae may be clotheslining someone in this series if we get the Lake Show.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, the Suns have been awful against pretty much everyone for three of the last four years.

I’m aware. Those numbers just look particularly awful from the rest of the awful.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Pretty sure Cam will play too - the question is will his shooting have improved. Kind of doubt it unfortunatley.

I'm sure they will play. I just hope Deandre Ayton bounces back strong and Cam Johnson's wrist and shooting are fine.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For all those "to be the best..." and "we're going to have to beat the Lakers anyway..." folks, does that mean that you're actively ROOTING for LA tonight so we get that test out of the way immediately?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

If he’s been outta cast for a week and just working on his stroke maybe he comes back with his deadeye again!