KYLER MURRAY TIED 3rd worst at pocket time:

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Among qualified starters (13GS+), Kyler was tied for 3rd worst in pocket time at 2.3s

Pocket time is defined as average time the QB had in the pocket between the snap and throwing the ball, or pressure collapses the pocket.

Other notable stats:

* Kyler and co. had the 8th *best* prss% (times pressured per dropback), seeing pressure on 20.7%. Tom Brady and his line led the league at an absurd 11.1%

* Kyler tied for 3rd with *most* hurries.

* Kyler was hit only 13 times, far and away the lowest among qualified starters, the next lowest was Baker at 18, then Zach Wilson at 26.

I've been doing a deep dive into the analytics of our season and thought these were all interesting. My takeaway is our O-Line needs some major work, and Kyler is a wizard at eliminating contact/avoiding sacks (31 total sacks compared to the GOAT Brady at a ridiculous 22 total). Some more time in the pocket to read routes would do wonders for our "air raid" offense. 2.3s is a huge reason you see so many screen passes.
From Reddit….plenty interesting and it backs up what I was saying earlier…HE HAD NO TIME. Yes during the end zone pick six he could’ve through it underneath and a man was Open but other then that yeah AD was in his face and another defender was free. Statically he had one of worst protections in the league…amazing he’s also the least hit.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Haha sure add more trash stats to the list of cards failures lol

OP
OP
Vacard

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So what you're saying is we have a bad OL and a QB who's scared to take a hit. Yeah, that's a great combo.
Kyler pocket presence doesn't help but man the line is pretty mediocre, i can t imagine a statue qb like Palmer behind this line

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Among qualified starters (13GS+), Kyler was tied for 3rd worst in pocket time at 2.3s

Pocket time is defined as average time the QB had in the pocket between the snap and throwing the ball, or pressure collapses the pocket.

Other notable stats:

* Kyler and co. had the 8th *best* prss% (times pressured per dropback), seeing pressure on 20.7%. Tom Brady and his line led the league at an absurd 11.1%

* Kyler was hit only 13 times, far and away the lowest among qualified starters, the next lowest was Baker at 18, then Zach Wilson at 26.

I've been doing a deep dive into the analytics of our season and thought these were all interesting. My takeaway is our O-Line needs some major work, and Kyler is a wizard at eliminating contact/avoiding sacks (31 total sacks compared to the GOAT Brady at a ridiculous 22 total). Some more time in the pocket to read routes would do wonders for our "air raid" offense. 2.3s is a huge reason you see so many screen passes.
From Reddit….plenty interesting and it backs up what I was saying earlier…HE HAD NO TIME. Yes during the end zone pick six he could’ve through it underneath and a man was Open but other then that yeah AD was in his face and another defender was free. Statically he had one of worst protections in the league…amazing he’s also the least hit.
Don’t worry.. people on here hate factual stats. Kyler is still the worse ever and out line is still decent ! Lol

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who needs official stats, when we have eyeballs. :) We all saw guys routinely getting embarrassingly pummeled/abused on the norm.....Garcia and Jones come to mind. They were turnstiles all year IMHO. While Kyler absolutely needs to do much better with his progressions and reads moving forward, these factors make it tough for a comfort level in the pocket for ANY QB when you don't have confidence in the guys in front of you. JMO

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fix the oline at all cost . No more bandaids.

It can be done. It will leave some holes but a “ great “ offense can make a mediocre defense better.
A great offensive line can make a decent running back good and a good running back great.
It’s time. Like it or not Kyler is the center piece of this team and offense. If we don’t solve this oline once and for all we will have to live with mediocrity that we’ve all become numb to.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score

It can be done. It will leave some holes but a “ great “ offense can make a mediocre defense better.
A great offensive line can make a decent running back good and a good running back great.
It’s time. Like it or not Kyler is the center piece of this team and offense. If we don’t solve this oline once and for all we will have to live with mediocrity that we’ve all become numb to.
oh cmon its fun to watch Max Garcia, Josh Jones!!!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Key question.

Can Kyler outlearn the other up-&-coming QB's? Or will he bottom out too early.

Current crop of young QB's is abnormally talented, and we may have seen our best of Kyler.

Or have we?

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I agree 100%. When we drafted Murray, I made the point that we put 100% of our focus on the offense. We should have fixed the offense COMPLETELY before concerning ourselves with the D. A team that’s average on both sides of the ball generally is a poor team. But, if you’re dominant on one side of the ball, you have a shot to win. Before people go off the deep end, that would have been my approach in year 1 & possibly into year 2. After that, you work to build BOTH sides. That’s what the Ravens did way back when they drafted all those defensive studs like Lewis, etc, etc. Only they obviously did it on the defensive side because Lewis was that big of a factor. They had Boulware, Woodson, McAlister, Starks, Sharper, McCrary, Adams, Burnett, etc. Hell, they won a SB with Trent Dilfer at QB.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Other notable stats:

I like Kyler a lot but on the 18 hits how much of that is because Kyler often goes down to avoid the hit? Mind you I LIKE that he does that, injuries and fumbles are less likely, but I think that 18 hits might be related

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree 100%. When we drafted Murray, I made the point that we put 100% of our focus on the offense. We should have fixed the offense COMPLETELY before concerning ourselves with the D. A team that’s average on both sides of the ball generally is a poor team. But, if you’re dominant on one side of the ball, you have a shot to win. Before people go off the deep end, that would have been my approach in year 1 & possibly into year 2. After that, you work to build BOTH sides. That’s what the Ravens did way back when they drafted all those defensive studs like Lewis, etc, etc. Only they obviously did it on the defensive side because Lewis was that big of a factor. They had Boulware, Woodson, McAlister, Starks, Sharper, McCrary, Adams, Burnett, etc. Hell, they won a SB with Trent Dilfer at QB.
Who’s responsible for drafting and getting FA to do all of the above?

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keim, who was an O lineman, sucks at drafting them.

Thank god we got Rodney Hudson from the Raiders. The rest of the O line is terrible.
Probably looks for olineman that have the same sucky qualities he had as a prospect...and dismisses and/or rationalizes any weakness as something that they can overcome. Which some may..but many won't. We all do it(have our biases), just sucks if your GM does it.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Probably looks for olineman that have the same sucky qualities he had as a prospect...and dismisses and/or rationalizes any weakness as something that they can overcome. Which some may..but many won't. We all do it(have our biases), just sucks if your GM does it.
He has never drafted an above average linemen and often ignored the position

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

How is the pocket time calculated when QB bails the pocket and rolls out when the pocket was not collapsed? If this type of scenario is also regarded as the pocket collapse, I believe I understand where the number came from.

We all know how much Kyler loathed to get hit, which led to him being the least hit Qb in the league. Yes, Kyler is terrific at avoiding hits, as he either runs out of bounds or goes down when he feels the heat. However, taking fewer hits does not equal good QB plays. Take a look at the list, the second and the third least hit Qbs are not good ones, Baker Mayfield and Zach Wilson. Not enough data here to say (only three players), but maybe there are some correlations between taking a fair amount of hits and good QB plays.

Some of us here are so afraid of Kyler getting hits as if he was made of glass. The data shows that the 44-year-old Brady is taking more hits than Kyler Murray. After all, football might not be the best fit for Kyler if he is more fragile than a 44-year-old.

Talking about Carson Palmer playing behind this line, he will for sure take way more hits than Murray or even more sacks, and he might play even worse (big if), but I believe his pocket time will actually be longer and he will definitely not die (his line at Cardinals was not much better than this one).

Last edited: