Kyler Murray Stat Line vs. Saints

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
19/33 (58%) for 220 yards. 0 TD 0 Int

2 rushes for 13 yards (6.5 per).

Thought we saw some dynamic play-making today. Also some poor throws in important situations (overthrow to edmonds on the series after the PP21 interception).

What did you guys think?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
He missed 2 big throws imo.

I still say not having DJ in the lineup drastically hinders & changes this offense whether he’s split out or in the backfield. With both RBs likely out for at least another week, it’s going to be very hard to move the rock or score. It magnifies the subpar Olines weakness’s & allows defenses to tee off

We’re in more deep deep trouble

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
19/33 (58%) for 220 yards. 0 TD 0 Int

2 rushes for 13 yards (6.5 per).

Thought we saw some dynamic play-making today. Also some poor throws in important situations (overthrow to edmonds on the series after the PP21 interception).

What did you guys think?

edmonds cut the route off. He’s supposed to run up fields towards the first down instead he cuts 2-3 yards short of the first down and makes a B line for the sidelines. That was on Edmonds.

the throw to Fitz that was called back was amazing. Saints defense looks really good

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
edmonds cut the route off. He’s supposed to run up fields towards the first down instead he cuts 2-3 yards short of the first down and makes a B line for the sidelines. That was on Edmonds.

the throw to Fitz that was called back was amazing. Saints defense looks really good

The saints D is average. The only teams they have held under 24 points are the cowboys and jags before this week. The bears look like the worst offense in the league and they scored 25. It’s more of an indictment on the cards offense then the saints D. The play calling was trash and the execution was bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The saints D is average. The only teams they have held under 24 points are the cowboys and jags before this week. The bears look like the worst offense in the league and they scored 25. It’s more of an indictment on the cards offense then the saints D. The play calling was trash and the execution was bad.

The Bears were held to 10 points until like the 4 minutes to go in their game before they started racking up garbage time yards.

Saints’ defense is definitely not average. They have studs at every single line on defense. Show them the respect they deserve.

OP
OP
Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
He missed 2 big throws imo.

I still say not having DJ in the lineup drastically hinders & changes this offense whether he’s split out or in the backfield. With both RBs likely out for at least another week, it’s going to be very hard to move the rock or score. It magnifies the subpar Olines weakness’s & allows defenses to tee off

We’re in more deep deep trouble

Perhaps one silver lining for this game was I thought that offense as a whole looked a little more composed vs. the BAL game.

I thought Murray hung in the pocket about as well as he could with they way the rush was coming at him, and, when he was flushed, I thought he made several good plays.

Not his worst performance of the season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

You must not have watched bears game. The saints d throttled them. Bears scored a bunch in total garbage time.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

They have a good past rush and we have below average o-line with a horrible right tackle

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Perhaps one silver lining for this game was I thought that offense as a whole looked a little more composed vs. the BAL game.

I thought Murray hung in the pocket about as well as he could with they way the rush was coming at him, and, when he was flushed, I thought he made several good plays.

Not his worst performance of the season.
I disagree. While the saints d is very good and we couldn’t mount a run game, there were a lot of plays to be made out there and kyler left them on the turf with poor decisions and some of the wurst throws I’ve seen from this year. He did avoid turnovers, but I think that was partly due to fear and thus not making courageous plays. This is the first game where I wanna wasn’t able to shrug off his poor play due to being a rookie, getting acclimated, or lack of surrounding talent (though that’s all certainly part of it), but rather kyler looking a bit unsettled and a lack of aggressiveness on his part. I still can’t believe he so poorly mis-threw the ball after his scramble and Kirk was wide open. I mean he didn’t have to lead Kirk so much, just take the giant gainer your scramble bought you. That was an enormous missed opportunity.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Murray missed some throws but with no run game at all what does anyone really expect. DJ being out hurt and has anyone witnessed Larry not get both feet down on a play like that? I am not happy but also not surprised with the outcome.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Murray missed some throws but with no run game at all what does anyone really expect. DJ being out hurt and has anyone witnessed Larry not get both feet down on a play like that? I am not happy but also not surprised with the outcome.
Here is where I really get irritated with Kyler Murray. I get being conservative and not taking risks. But, when you are down and need big plays to get back in the game, he doesn't seem willing to take those chances. He seems happy to check balls down in 3rd and long, and "dink and dunk" when the Cardinals are behind. There have been a couple throws each game where he doesn't put the ball close enough for the WR to make a play on the ball. That all being said, not having a RB who has been with the team for longer than a week is a tough place to be.

I don't know. I am trying to forget #1 drafted overall, and just look at him as a rookie QB, but I still feel like he needs to make more plays in these games where we are playing better teams.

Paso Fino

Veteran
Reaction score
I thought Kyler had a good day under the circumstances. His statistics would have been better but for throws he made to avoid tackles for a loss. And some of the incomplete passes because the intended target did not complete his route.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here is where I really get irritated with Kyler Murray. I get being conservative and not taking risks. But, when you are down and need big plays to get back in the game, he doesn't seem willing to take those chances. He seems happy to check balls down in 3rd and long, and "dink and dunk" when the Cardinals are behind. There have been a couple throws each game where he doesn't put the ball close enough for the WR to make a play on the ball. That all being said, not having a RB who has been with the team for longer than a week is a tough place to be.

I don't know. I am trying to forget #1 drafted overall, and just look at him as a rookie QB, but I still feel like he needs to make more plays in these games where we are playing better teams.

I am happy to have to work to get him more aggressive since he takes care of the ball so well right now. If he continues this trend years 2 and 3, then I would worry.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
The Bears were held to 10 points until like the 4 minutes to go in their game before they started racking up garbage time yards.

Saints’ defense is definitely not average. They have studs at every single line on defense. Show them the respect they deserve.

I may have exaggerated average but they aren’t top 10 in pass yards per attempt or rush yards per attempt. My overall point was that they aren’t a D like the pats we should have been able to score a TD. The offense has to bear responsibility for today. The D played very well until KK gave the saints the ball at the 30.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mediocre game but this is where not having DJ or any really good WR is killing us. there were several plays in the game where him having Chase and not DJ was a big issue, the stupid 3rd down call he made a terrible throw but he clearly thought Chase was going to keep running UP and he flattened out. The grounding play that was a wheel route one we've hit to DJ several times since he's been here, but Kyler didn't throw the ball to Chase even when he was breaking open. I don't know if he just had to move too far right and thought it was a dangerous throw or what but it appeared that was the set play, so I don't think he didn't see him, I just don't think he has the same trust in Chase that he does in DJ, which is a problem.

The throw to Kirk if you watch the replay you can actually see Kyler motioning to Kirk he wants him to go to Kyler's right, towards the sideline, I think to protect that throw. Kirk couldn't get there and Kirk appeared to somewhat lose his footing trying to. It wasn't a great play but I think half and half I don't think Kirk did what Kyler wanted him to do once he got outside the pocket.

Had some big misses the one behind Larry being huge.

Not a good game, you can hear the announcers though repeatedly talking about how Cards WR's can't beat anybody 1 on 1, all the wide open big plays in this game and many others are schemed, it's design, misdirection trickeration, its' not just a guy beating his man.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I am happy to have to work to get him more aggressive since he takes care of the ball so well right now. If he continues this trend years 2 and 3, then I would worry.
I worry because it is generally easier for players to become less aggressive than more aggressive. I am not shocked if we start having the same complaints about Kyler Murray in a couple years that they had in KC with Alex Smith.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kyler is 14th in QBR.

Our #1 RB banged up who also happens to be our #2 WR as well.

I watch lots of games on Sunday. We're in the bottom 3rd with our Oline and WR core in talent.

Our coach is still learning how to call plays in the NFL (evidence by being too cute with play calls at the wrong time)

Keim's got a lot of work to do.

Kliff/Kyler should improve in time

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I don’t know. Bruce Arians said that he’d rather have guys that you had to tell “whoa” than “sic em.” Hard to put fight in a guy that doesn’t have it and plays careful all the time.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don’t know. Bruce Arians said that he’d rather have guys that you had to tell “whoa” than “sic em.” Hard to put fight in a guy that doesn’t have it and plays careful all the time.

Well, he has Winston now, so he should be gleeful.

I just HOPE Kyler gains more aggression as he gets more experience, (and Chopper's concerns disappear).

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Bad play calling and inconsistent play by Kyler killed any chance we had to win. He’s on pace to only throw 14 TDs. Granted he takes care of the ball and doesn’t turn it over, which is a good thing; but with trends like this, he’s going to be more Alex Smith than Patrick Mahomes.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
My fear is kyler is too scared to make a mistake he chooses not to try to make a big play. Seems like he only pushes the ball down the field when the guy is wide open or back shoulders on the sideline. He needs to watch how Rodgers uses his mobility then takes risks for potential of big plays. At this point I’d settle with the cards just using the middle of the field more. I’d love some shallow crosses.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I don't think he's the Alex Smith type I've seen Alex Smith play for years and by the way he's not a bad QB he never had the talent that Mahomes has.

You can see how a backup who almost never gets three hundred yards does with one week of practice with those play makers.

We don't have the play makers we need to do much of anything. I think Kyler is ahead of Kliff in terms of being NFL ready and I like that he's conservative with the ball it means he's smart.

He'll take chances in a year or two when he knows more about the pro game.