Kyler Murray (Possibly assaulted)

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I must be missing it.

Looks like the guy in the grey shirt reaches over the front row to slap the shoulder pad of Murray. Murray moves slightly and he slaps him in a downward motion forehead to chin (consistent with a shoulder pad slap).

The guy in the grey shirt doesn't look angry or upset - he again tries to slap the shoulder pad of Murray and was successful on the 2nd try.

Dude in grey shirt is surrounded (first row and second row) by Cardinal fans. Doesn't look like any of them were upset at the guy in the grey shirt/his actions.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more I watch the video, the more ambiguous it gets. I think the guy was holding a drink in the other hand. I'd like to find out if there was intent to injure.
Yeah, when I first heard about this I pictured a guy in Raiders gear taking a legit swing at K1. Not some guy in neither team's gear reaching out blindly with an open hand from behind another fan. If contacted I am willing to bet the guy says he was reaching out to pat him and missed. End of story. Not enough - even on video - for assault, IMHO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, when I first heard about this I pictured a guy in Raiders gear taking a legit swing at K1. Not some guy in neither team's gear reaching out blindly with an open hand from behind another fan. If contacted I am willing to bet the guy says he was reaching out to pat him and missed. End of story. Not enough - even on video - for assault, IMHO.

These are my thoughts unless more information comes out that says otherwise.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It doesn't look like a "slap" to me - he grazed his face. But then again, K1 doesn't like being touched, lol.
Kingsbury thinks the fan has a low life, must be banned for everything,arrested, fired from work and probably exiled
Im feeling good that Kingsbury is just a head coach and not a Supreme Judge
Probably he has some sort of admiration for North Korea legal system

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kingsbury thinks the fan has a low life, must be banned for everything,arrested, fired from work and probably exiled
So you don't want your HC defending your franchise QB? And he's not allowed to speak his opinion? Your statement is actually representing North Korea by trying to tell what he is allowed to say.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So you don't want your HC defending your franchise QB? And he's not allowed to speak his opinion? Your statement is actually representing Nortth Korea by trying to tell what he is allowed to say.
First there is not evidence and can't be proven he wanted to slap him, the fan can always says that with the crowd ahead he just tried to extend his arm to hug him
Second the statement made by Kingsbury gone too far that i thought he was joking at first, but he didn't....
Third im not trying to tell what someone should say but i can give my opinion

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First there is not evidence and can't be proven he wanted to slap him, the fan can always says that with the crowd ahead he just tried to extend his arm to hug him
Second the statement made by Kingsbury gone too far that i thought he was joking at first, but he didn't....
What right does any fan have to touch a player in any way?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You literally compared him to North Koera.

I'm done!

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you rake a player's face from top to bottom, then are sort of hiding behind someone, are you trying to get away with something? Maybe.

If so, aren't you going to be like, oh shoot I screwed up, maybe I should kick back a bit?

But what ruins it, is AFTER that, he goes in for a 2nd encounter/hit, not from the top, but a side slap.

He was in the 2nd row and was reaching above and around people to make contact.

Obviously, we're all guessing, but it looks bad for that guy.

As I said earlier, Kyler's lucky it wasn't way worse being a Raider game. If it was Oakland, he'd likely of had a few beer bottles/cups to the face.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
What right does any fan have to touch a player in any way?
C'mom Cheese let's put this in perspective, the Cardinals just won the game on a fumble recovery for a TD in OT. Emotions were running high at this point. If a player presents himself to the fans by coming right up to the stands he should expect to get touched, grabbed, hugged, etc. after a moment like what happened yesterday. Now, this doesn't mean a fan has a right to touch a player if the player doesn't get right up to the fans and a fan comes out of the stands or lunges at them, but in this case Murray actually initiated it by heading right to the stands and actually made first contact with people there.

I have watched this video multiple times and I seriously doubt the guy intentionally tried to smack Murray in the face. Everyone in the video were bumping into each other, it was chaotic and the guy probably had a few during the game so his motor skills were probably not the best either and it does appear he was just trying to make contact with Murray and missed either by being bumped or just plain too many adult beverages. He actually does kind of get him on the shoulder pads on his second attempt. To say this guy assaulted Murray is a real stretch to me. One could even argue that Murray contributed to the incident by exposing himself to the potential hazards that come with it especially in an opponents stadium.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He could be right

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Uh, i didn't even try to defend the fan, i just find Kingsbury statement excessive and laughable
Kliff said he had only heard about it -- didnt see the video

so, if you are told a fan hit a player in the face, its not an out of bounds reaction

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
You rarely see a college FB game without a uniformed officer within 5 feet of the coach. Kyler is paid more than any coach. Just saying

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So players get to bum rush a hostile fan environment with no consequences? Yes, he was celebrating with what looked to be a fan. I'm just saying, mess with the bull and POTENTIALLY get the horns. He did. Could you honestly believe that wouldn't be a possibility doing what he did? I don't think he's that dumb. I also don't think its wise to put players on a pedestal just because... If they want to be separate and get special treatment from their fanatics in the crowd, then stay out of the crowd IMHO. If that guy came out onto the field and cold cocked him, then fine. Different story IMO.

We also see fights happen between hostile fans with way worse stuff occuring in the crowd all the time.. press charges? Over that? Jesus man. I guess I'm just a little old school when it comes to a little slap to the face. Whatever. He'll do what he feels is best for him. To each their own.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
many fans actually feel exactly the same way about kliff after watching him coach an nfl team for a couple years.

arrest him
fire him
never let him in an nfl stadium ever again

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He didn’t do a Lambeau leap into the stands. He was celebrating with ONE fan. That doesn’t give anyone else the right to touch him.
Hilarious. Fairy tale land. I love Kyler. But this just proves the weak sauce. I can't stand this for his sake.... I want toughness from my QB..a little scrap the face? Bro. Nut up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose